Extended Warranty

Herkdrvr

Fellas,
My family just purchased an Everest bunkhouse. As you can imagine, we want to protect our investment at the right price. Does anybody have a good suggestion on extended warranties. I am looking for plans to stay away from and plans that come highly recommended. Costs??? Thanks

vanole

Re: Extended Warranty

Herkdrvr,

Think you will generate a lot of responses on this one. Just as many for as against them. On my previous coach I went with and extended warranty ( I did not buy it from the dealer) I bought it through the manufacturer (Monaco) the coach builder after about 10 months of ownership. Monaco allowed 12 months of ownership before they would say no to coverage.

From my reading on this/other forums their are two types of these waranties and the names escape me. However the folks that bought them all claimed to get a warranty that specifically implies "WHAT IS NOT COVERED". That is the type I got. I have had two claims (totaling $5300 minus my 200 deductable) with mine and both times Monaco answered the bell. HOWEVER you have to follow the warranty companies directions implicititly to ensure they honor the request. All that info is in small print somewhere in the contract. The warranty I chose spelled it out nicely on a wallet size card. Main thing ensure you get approval prior to work or you may be paying the bill. I feel the warranty payed for itself.

I know what I provided above is not much help but it is a start. However on my present coach I'm leaning on doing the same thing again. Also I know if you cancel the policy at least the ones I have shopped for pro-rate it so you can get some of your money back.

By the way by your handle do/did you fly C-130's? I'm a prior Phantom and Tomcat bubba.

V/R
Jeff

dennis1949

Take the money you would pay for an extended warranty and put it in the bank. To me they are a waste of money. To many loop holes in them

Herkdrvr

Thanks for all the info fellas. I think it can be hit or miss. The companies wouldn't sell these warranties if the rules didn't benefit them. I hate gambling. I would feel terrible if I needed some "warranty" work done in a couple of years and didn't have one.

Jeff,
I am a Herk pilot. We are currently stationed at Little Rock ARB, AR. Thank you for your service. Both jets have fabulous records. I flew single seaters and AC-130 Gunships before coming to the Rock. The Gunship "Eliminates" terrorists at a fantastic rate. :cool: Where do you live now?

V/R,
Ryan

vanole

Ryan,

You hit the nail on the head. It is all about risk and how much you are willing to take. Its insurance. In my case I won. Spent $2200 on the policy and had $5300 in claims. So I'm up 2100 dollars. Both claims were were after initial warranty ran out. Just take a look at the price of a refer, A/C or inverter and the price will make you sick. It was a comfort thing for me.

Though I did not buy the warranty thru these folks have heard good things about them on different forums you might want to try "Warranty Experts 9355 Bandera Road Ste 140, San Antonio, Tx 78250 1-877-673-1880 ask for Mr. Dave Gardner".

Back when I was a Mid I got to fly a 130 from Hong Kong to Subic that is what convinced me to go aviation. In fact back in the late 90's when stationed at USACOM (defunct CINCUSACOM) a guy that worked in my shop was a former Little Rock 130 guy had some great stories. Presently live in Va Beach retired 1 Aug 07 out of Ocean Bananna (Oceana). Check on the gunship. Seen a few in action at night in the past. Awesome sight.

V/R
Jeff

DL Rupper

Waste of money in my opinion. The probability statistics are all with the warranty provider. I purchased one on my Hitchhiker in 1995. Cost $1200 and I got $500 worth out of it. Most RV's come with 1 to 2 years worth of warranty. The after market extended warranty runs concurrent with the manufacture's warranty. Also, as an other option, you can purchase individual appliance warranty extensions from the appliance manufacturer. However, having said all that, you may run into more problems with a Motorhome as they have many more things that can fail, than do TT's and 5th Wheels. :(

Hey Herkdrvr & Jeff, thanks for your service to our Great Country.

vanole

DL,

Thanks for the comment about the service. You are correct in your assessment about risk. It does favor the policy provider but with my luck (ex. recently went to a Philly Cheeese Steak place and they were out of beef then went right to a Chik-Fil-A and asked for their Southwestern Wrap and shazam they were out of those and it was only 18:30) you can see the reason I went the way I did. With the Monaco Warranty I bought it went a full 3 years after the date of expiration of the original warranty on the coach. Like I said you had to follow the rules to a "T". I mainly bought it (warranty) to cover the engine (Cummins) and the quiet Diesel Generator (Onan/Cummins) repair on those puppies can set you back a few clams (risk concerning the engine was not worth it).

In my post above I meant to say $3100 dollars vice $2100 to the good. I'm sure most aren't as fortunate.

I always read your post they are very informative. Keep passing along good/sage gouge

Very Respectfully,
Jeff

DL Rupper

Hey Jeff, I probably would consider an extended warranty for a motorhome. The engine being a Cummins is one good point in your favor, however, the diesel pusher engines and parts are really expensive. The Cummins engine in the pickup is an extra $7500 plus whatever the auto transmission is going for now. Just a drop in the bucket compared to the DP's. I passed on the extended warranty on my pickup and it looks like a good decision as I haven't had any problems in 5 years and 92 K miles.

I opted for the extended warranty on my 5th wheel because I had never owned a big RV and was worried. Turns out on a trailer, most of the items go in the first 2 years, if they are going to go, while under the original manufacture's warranty. After that they will wait until the extended warranty expires before going bad. Normal wear and tear.

You definitely need to follow the directions on the warranty if you want them to pay you after the repair is complete. Also you need to make sure everything you want covered is spelled out. It's to the point you almost need the sub-assemblies spelled out and defined in the contract or they will try to weasel out of the repair.

vanole

DL Rupper,

Dang to show how clueless I am, I did not read your entire sig block. Notice now you spent time in the Corps. One of my best friends is a MGySgt and is in Iraq now on his third and last pump. He will be retiring in Dec when he gets back to CONUS after 30 years. He is also from wide spot in the road in New Hampshire (me to).
By the way also thank-you much for your service to our country and the Marine Corps.

Very Respectfully,
Jeff

Herkdrvr

DL and Jeff,
Thank you for your many years of service. Please thank the family too. I know they are the unsung heroes in all of this.

There is a ton of great information to ponder. My wife, kids, and I are upgrading from a 28 ft. Wildcat (Forrest River) to an Everest 330 bunkhouse. We are super excited. Everest has been in the family for years. Knock on wood....Keystone builds a reliable product. The appliances are the same as many brands use. The hydraulic pump is a lipert. I really don't think I will need much warranty after the factory warranties expire. It is really just a gamble.