F150 super crew short bed problem 5th wheel

mgh

Hi,
My wife and I just took her folks Prowler home (using their truck). I went to have a slider hitch installed and the installer recommended against it due to clearance problems.
At his suggestion I went home to check it out with my truck. A little too tight for me. I think I was ok with a 45 degree angle. I searched and came up with a king pin extender as a possible solution. Any body have any knowledge about this? I'd hate to cancel the deal. It's an '85 3000 CL. :question: :question:
Thanks
mgh

DL Rupper

Re: F150 super crew short bed problem 5th wheel

Hey mgh, welcome to the forum. Need some particulars. Is the 85 3000 CL the model of the Prowler? I think the extenders work best with lightweight 5th Wheels. They extend the reach of king pin; therefore, you really shouldn't use them on 5th Wheels that have a heavy up front king pin weight (over 1500 lbs). I'm not sure I understand why the slider hitch wouldn't work? The slider is made for short bed pickups.

mgh

Thanks DL for your reply.
It's a 1985 Prowler 3000 CL 24 footer. I don't know how to classify it. I called the local Fleetwood dealer and he too said that was the slider's purpose. Do you know if the slide works automatically when you make a sharper turn?
Thanks again,

mgh :)

hertig

There is one automatic slider (PullRite) and at least one (hydrolic) which is controlled from the cab. But most are completely manual.

mgh

Thanks hertig for your reply. I emailed Pull-Rite with my specs. The customer service replied fairly promptly with the bad news that the kingpin would have to be 10 inches in front of the nose of the trailer instead of 2. The hitch setup would have approached the cost of the RV :) but I was considering it. Since the high end hitch won't work, I'm ready to give up on it.
The Ford SuperCrew Cab bed is only 5.5'.

Grandview Trailer Sa

First of all, Ford does NOT want the Super Crew towing Fifth Wheels. If you read your owners manual, it will state that.
The King Pin extender will put stresses on the frame it was never designed for. I got an e-mail and a mailing on this from B&W last week. They state that these extra stresses have not been studied and no one knows what will happen. Someone out there is saying it is OK with the B&W fifth wheel. They say NO it is not.