Fairbanks, Alaska to remain RV-unfriendly

Kirk

I received this news bulletin from Escapees RV Club.
Escapees E-News Release

Fairbanks Fails to Repeal RV Parking Restrictions

08/10/2005

The City Council in Fairbanks, Alaska, in a split decision, has defeated proposed Ordinance 5610, which would have removed RV parking restrictions in Fairbanks. We were sorry to hear that they chose to continue to restrict RV parking, especially in the face of many e-mails and phone calls from RVers supporting the proposal.

A fellow Escapee, John Christman #54692, was present at the meeting and testified in favor of the proposed ordinance. John sent us the following report on the proceedings.

A strange twist of events took place tonight at the City Council meeting. There were a total of 81 e-mails (all from the Lower 48). 80 of them were in favor of the proposed ordinance to lift the ban on RV parking on private property. One was against. They received 13 phone calls (also all from the Lower 48). 11 were in favor and 2 against. There were a total of 12 people from the community of Fairbanks who spoke. 9 spoke against, and 3 spoke in favor of the proposed ordinance. I also spoke in favor of Ordinance 5610 and was granted extra time to complete my testimony. (I was the only one granted this extra time, maybe because of what I had to say about an experience I had in Kingman, AZ, six years ago, or maybe because I came from so far away). There followed a very lengthy discussion from each of the Council members, then the vote was taken. The vote from the six Council members was a 3-3 tie, with the mayor, who proposed the ordinance, voting against his own proposal for the tie-breaking vote. The ordinance was defeated, so the RV parking ban remains in effect.

Thanks, John, for being there to testify and for reporting the outcome! Thanks also to all who e-mailed or called the Mayor's office. At this time, we don't know if anything further can be done, but you may want to send a letter or e-mail indicating your disappointment with the decision.

Mayor Steve M. Thompson
800 Cushman Street, Fairbanks, AK 99701
1-907-459-6793 - smthompson@ci.fairbanks.ak.us

Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Bureau
550 First Ave., Fairbanks, AK 99701
1-800-327-5774 - info@explorefairbanks.com

Greater Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce
800 Cushman Street, Suite 114, Fairbanks, AK 99701
Phone: 1-907-452-1105 - info@fairbankschamber.org

C Nash

Fairbanks, Alaska to remain RV-unfriendly

Thanks Kirk for the follow up. My e-mails are on the way