Fifth Wheel blowing tires

Coldwatercamper

I have a 25.5 Fleetwood Prowler 5th Wheel That blows a tire every year (not the same position). This is my 2nd 5th wheel and I never had any problems with my last one. The guy I bought it from said he had blown a few tires also.
As near as I can tell I am towing it pretty level (Maybe a tad higher in the front) but not any differant than my old 5th wheel. I do not know how old the tires are but they have good tread and no noticable cracking. the tire pressure is set to the tires spec. Is it possible that there is a problrm with the allignment or axil that could cause this. I am planning on replacing all the tires this winter but I would like to head off any potential problems before I start blowing new tires. is there a way to check the axil or alignment on a trailor.
Also it has radials on it. Could that be a problem?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Fifth Wheel blowing tires

I have seen a lot of 25' trailers with too light of an axle and tires. You need to determine what the trailer weighs and see what the tires are rated to carry. If your trailer weight and tire rating is close, you need to get heavier tires. Just my first thought, I have seen it a lot.

LEN

With Ken on this one. If you are at or above max weight rate for the tires step up one load rating. Also get a true weight on the 5ver as most of us carry more of a load than what we think, this will tell the story. I know on my tow trailer for my 4-runner I am not level(note to self fix this before it is a major problem) and the rear tires carrying more weight than the front pair run hotter. Also you didn't state how old the 5ver/tires are, if over 5 years looks maybe be not all that's going on. An other thing is what kind of roads are you running and are they ruff or potholed? With a tire running at max you could be breaking the cords on a ruff road.

LEN

Kirk

Also, look on the tire for the DOT code and see what the age of the tires is. The last digits which are stamped into the rubber at the end will be the two digit week and year of manufacturer. Any tire that is over 7 years old is going to be a problem.

C Nash

Wh some want do for free adds. Jaqes you have just gave us another business to cross out. Bet this is another 1 poster.