Fifth wheel hitch mismatch

buckbs

I've got a new truck, new fifth wheel hitch, and new fifth wheel. I've found that I get a clunk when I start off, like the hitch has too large a hole area that the RV pin sits in ...... hence the clunk on starting from a stop each time.

I hate to have to haul the rig fifty miles back to the dealer, and wanted to know if there is anyway that I can adjust this myself, or do I need to make the trip back to the dealer.

Thanks,
buckbs
2002 F-350 PSD dualie
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 35LKSA

FogNobber

Buck: what is your hitch? My truck and rig is similar to yours although older. My hitch is a Resse 20K classic. I have the same thing, I think the pin and hitch are standard sizes unless you have an off brand hitch. Let us know what you find out.

buckbs

FogNobber,

That's pretty ironic that you and I have the same truck, same brand of fifth wheel, the same Reese 20K hitch, and the same problem. Sounds like it's just not a coincidence, but a design problem somewhere.

buckbs
2002 F-350PSD dualie
2002 Newmar Kountry Star 35LKSA

FogNobber

Hi again Buck - honestly I've never identified this as a problem. It happens but it is anticipated and has never caused a problem in the 5 years I've towed by trailer (all over the northeast).

buckbs

FogNobber,

It looks like none of the "pro's" on this website have an opinion, but I tend to think that the jerking is not good for my transmission, my truck suspension, or for the RV frame. This is not normal, and I'm going back to my dealer to have it fixed.

buckbs

hertig

Please let us know what you find out. I have a different truck, different trailer and the 16K hitch, and the same problem as well :)

C Nash

Had the Valley 15000 lb slider and had the same thing but was not bad. Think the only way to elimimate this is going with the goose neck hitch.

Southstl

Hi buckbs, when I had my 16K Slider installed it did not pop. Until one day I pulled the hitch out of the truck to do some lubracation maintenance on it. After putting it back in the truck, and hitched up to the 5er, it started poping. I reseated all 4 pins that hold the hitch to the rails, and it stopped popping. Hope this helps.

Steve

hertig

I just read an ad from a competing hitch (PullRite Super 5th) which claims that 'all other' hitches have non-round holes with too much clearance around the pin, leading to a clunk when starting. Their hitches have a perfectly round latch with only .030" clearance to fix this weakness. Also, they claim the round pins in slotted holes holding the hitch to the rails adds to the clunk problem. Their rails have round holes, naturely.

Sounds like it may be a design/production issue, hopefully which is only annoying. If it bugs you enough, it could allegedly be fixed by replacing your hitch and rails/mounting :)