Fifth wheel towing with a 2500HD

planegene

Hello
Just wanted to see if anyone was towing a 5th wheel with a GMC 2500HD extra cab short bed, with the 6.0 engine and 4.10 rearend. I know the book states that 10,200# is the max trailer wt. But I have seen C1500 trucks pulling larger trailers than that. In fact my Father pulled a 5th wheel all over the country with a 1500 Chevrolet. I would love to get one of the new Toy Hauler 5th wheels but the one that we have been looking at grosses at 12,500#. I need more info and feedback before jumping into anything. (the RV dealers will tell you anything to get you to purchase there product).
Thanks
Gene

Kristy

Would be nice if you could give more information: EXT OR CREW, 2WD or 4x4, How much are you pulling? :blush: quote:Originally posted by planegene

Hello
Just wanted to see if anyone was towing a 5th wheel with a GMC 2500HD extra cab short bed, with the 6.0 engine and 4.10 rearend. I know the book states that 10,200# is the max trailer wt. But I have seen C1500 trucks pulling larger trailers than that. In fact my Father pulled a 5th wheel all over the country with a 1500 Chevrolet. I would love to get one of the new Toy Hauler 5th wheels but the one that we have been looking at grosses at 12,500#. I need more info and feedback before jumping into anything. (the RV dealers will tell you anything to get you to purchase there product).
Thanks
Gene
:shy:

Kristy

Would be nice if you could give more information: , 2WD or 4x4, How much are you pulling? :blush: quote:Originally posted by planegene

Hello
Thanks
Gene
:shy:

hertig

Pulling over, at, or even slightly under your maximum weight can, of course, be done. And until you have a problem, may not bother you any. Or it may result in finger shaped depressions in your steering wheel.

When a problem does occur, though, it could be severe (and/or result in a lawsuit and/or significant repair costs). So, it is highly recommended to keep your trailer max weight well under your maximum towing capacity. And don't take the manufacturer's maximum trailer weight as gospel as they historically assume that there is nothing in the truck but a 150 pound driver in order to be able to advertise as high a limit as possible.

But even if the 2500HD truck could reasonably pull a trailer that heavy, I can tell you from personal experiance the 6.0 liter gas engine has difficulty getting even a 6000 pound trailer up any kind of hill. The 2500HD (long bed) is a great towing platform. But if you are going to tow heavy, check into a deisel engine.

And if you do go with a short bed, you need to consider a sliding hitch.

NAMVET

I had the same problem, I went back and got a 2500hd with the 8.1
and allison trans. Good luck, remember that is 12,500 empty.

Kristy

I would agree, I have spoken with many that change into a diesel, I have a towing guide for you if you would like for me to mail it for you.

Thank you
Kristy :shy: