fifth wheeling with critters

thumbs

We have a dog and a cat(left over from when our daughter was home). Now we plan to get travelin in our fifth wheel. How do you guys travel with these critters? Are they able to ride in the trailer? Do you put em in crates? How is this done? I was thinking about puttin the dog in the cab with us and the cat in a crate big enough for a litter box. I really don't want to put the dog up front but I will if I have to.

thanks

thumbs

Gary

Souderton, Pa

Gary B

Hi thumbs, when we had our 5er, we took our dog and cat along, neither one really liked riding in the 5er, we put our cat in a carrier, and stopped every 2/3 hrs. to let them move around a bit, our dog got her way and rode up front with us after about 1/2 a trip. If you have a super or crewcab I would let them ride up front, when we switched to a MH our dog was in doggie heaven so just had the cat and he really like the MH much better, we just let him have the run of the place and he pretty much let me do the driving

Happy trails GB

1994 Bounder 34J
1990 Mazda B2200 / BB

thumbs

I heard all that. Yeah when I bought the truck back in '92 just about the furthest thing from my mind was a fifth wheel. It's a standard cab with no place for the dog but on the seat. I guess she could sit there but it would be a bit crouded. Not the ideal set up but we gotta work somethin out.

Gary

Souderton, Pa

hertig

I have an extended cap PU, and our 2 cats loved riding up there (particularly lying on the dash in the sun). Litter box and water dish went in the back seat area. When parked, I removed the door from an under seat storage area in the trailer for them and the litter box. I would be reluctant for any animal to ride in the trailer while moving, as those things don't have shocks. Perhaps on the bed over the 5th wheel hitch would be ok.

ralphie

Thumbs,

I think it's illegal in most jurisdictions for humans to ride in trailers. I think trailers ride lousy, too. What I suggest is that you potentially break the law for a few minutes by having someone riding in the 5W for a few miles on a bumpy road. If they're uncomfortable, then I wouldn't put the animals in the trailer. I would guess that the cat would go beserk, and the dog wouldn't be too happy, either.

hertig

I tried that. Riding on floor of the RV (sofa or dinette seat) was pretty nasty; the person flew into the air on any bump. Riding on the bed (over the hitch) on the freeway was deemed acceptable, but then it was a smooth stretch of freeway...

Savannah

It would be way to hot for the animals in warmer months and to cold in the winter. I'm sure they could get warm enough but just think about how miserably hot the trailer is when you stop at the end of the day on the road.