FIFTH WHEELS SAFETY

FLAT TOP

LOOKING FOR SAFTY LATCH OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE, SO WHEH SOME ONE PULLS THE LATCH ON FIFTH WHEEL AND YOU PULL OF AND THE TRAILER HITS THE TRUCK. ANY ONE MAKE SOMETHING TO KEEP THIS FROM HAPPING.

C Nash

FIFTH WHEELS SAFETY

Hi Flat Top,
Hope it has not already happened to you. :( On the hitch I had I used a lock where the pin droped through the handle to lock it in place.

thumbs

FIFTH WHEELS SAFETY

FLAT TOP

Yeah there is a thing that is used to catch the pin if the hitch isn't latched but you really shouldn't need it. I don't know what hitch you have but on my Reese there are a couple of things I do to insure the hitch is locked.
First latch the hitch around the pin and clost the handle. If the handle won't close it isn't latched. My handle has a latch that you move down to insure the handle is far enough in. Now I take a flash light and go to the back of the truck and make sure I visualy see the jaws clamped around the pin. Now raise the landing gear until the legs are only an inch off the ground. Now leave the wheels on the trailer chocked and get back into the truck and try to pull away just a bit putting pressure on the hitch. If the thing holds your fine. If not the camper will only fall one inch. If the latch one the handle will lock and you see the jaws of the hitch around the pin your locked in.

Hope this helps

thumbs

FIFTH WHEELS SAFETY

FLAT TOP

Sorry read the post wrong. My Reese has a hole through the latch that comes down on the handle. I put a lock through the hitch and the latch and use this area for my break away cable.