Filling the fresh water tank

karykody

My wife and I just purchased a pop-up trailer and are new to the camping world, so please excuse the ignorance of this question!

Our trailer has a 16 gallon water tank underneath the floor and is filled by a gravity fill spout on the side of the trailer. However, when we attempt to fill up the tank only about 2-3 gallons go in before the water starts backing up out of the spout. We've been all over the owner's manual and I'm sure we're just missing something really obvious, but does anyone have a solution to this? Is there air in the water tank pushing the water back out and if so, how do we get it out? Any help will be appreciated!

C Nash

Hi KaryKody, if you try putting the water in to fast this will happen. It has to push the air that the water is replacing in the tank back out the filler pipe. Do not put the hose in to far and block the air coming out. How old is the pop up? Some of these tanks tend to colapse but, it should still hold more than 3 gallon. Can you see the tank? Is it really empty? Try putting the water in very slow. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of camping. :) There is no such thing as an ignorant question.

Gary B

Hi as Chelse said the air has to get out, there is / should be a vent line generally 1/2" plastic hose to vent the air, this maybe plugged, or crimped, not letting the air out. Many times the vent is right next to the filler. :)

Butch

Agreed, sometimes slower is better. Most water tanks are vented, some are not. There is a device that screws on the hose which necks down to about a half inch hose which reaches further down into the tank allowing for much faster fill ups. Available at most rv sales / parts rooms. :cool: Give that a try.