First post and question been lurking a while

LEN

Just picked up a new to us DP 2000 38' HR 330 Cat.
Been debating to flat tow or trailer.
Wondering around the country, how is the trailer parking in camp grounds or if they have trailer drop off at many camps.
We will not be full timers but will be on the road a couple months at a time.
By the way been reading a lot of the posts and picked up many many tips. And too many costly toy-tips.

LEN

DL Rupper

Re: First post and question been lurking a while

Most RV Parks are limited in the amount of space for trailers. In fact a lot of RV parks are downright tight on space for parking your towed/tow vehicle. Most big sites have room for your RV and towed vehicle. That amounts to about 50/60 feet. Most Motorhome owners flat tow.

G

I agree with DL , the sights do get tight ,, but as u said if they have a trailer drop off area ,, then yes a trailer is ok ,,, but what happens when u can't find that type of rv sight ,, yep u'r in trouble ,, IMO if u can toad 4down with u'r type of toad then i would go for it ,,, u'll spend about the same amount of money on the tow bar set up as u would on a trailer ,,, but u would have the ability to stow away the tow bar ,,,, ;) :) :) :)
bty welcome to the forum :approve: :) :)

utmtman

I dolly tow because when I started I had two vehicles to tow with and required too much to get to different tow setups at the time as compared to the dolly. I have had not problems as far as dragging the trailer and getting into rv parks and such but if we ever trade these two in for one vehicle I will go with a tow bar 4 down only cuz of taking up less from and much easier to move as needed. You will have to see if you vehicle can be towed or not and maybe use that to help you make your decision. Neither of our vehicles can be towed four down so we had to go dolly and will have to get another vehicle in order to do four down.

tinkerer

RE: First post and question been lurking a while

We have a 36' class A amd pull a 20' car trailer as we put a small auto and a 4 wheeler atv on the trailer. we never have had a problem finding a rv park to accomodate our setup. We usually do our homework before we pull into a rv park. Usually we call about 1-2 hours before we pull in. My investment in the trailer is not to far from a towing setup. Then I have a trailer at home for other uses. But everbodys situation is different.

LEN

I desided to go with the trailer

I'm towing two different maybe three rigs and to get them all three set up means many $$$$$$$$$$. I looked at a lot of RV camps and called a few. Most, if they were big enough for the 38 DP they could get me in with the trailer. I have flat towed for years and really never had to back out many times but I think the trailer will back even for ME.

LEN

Kirk

Len,
May I ask why you first asked a question, and then rebuffed the majority of those who answered? Was there some point to be made?

Like it or not, life is much more simple when you to four-down. And the choice of RV park is much better and you don't have to plan ahead nearly as much. It is true that you can work around any problems if you choose to tow a trailer, but that was not what you asked. Of course I really don't have much experience since I have only owned RVs since 1972.

Darwin

Len, I perfer to tow 4 wheels down(Jeep) it is so much easier. I can hook up and be on the road in a couple minutes. The trailer and tow dolly take much longer, but you can back up. I have had to disconnect a few time.
Please don't be upset be an ocasional rude reply, most campers will do anything they can to help you and campers are the nicest people.
D

LEN

I think it was 2 and 2 , 50% each way, either way. I asked got answers did research and made a choice. Ok I've been RVing since 64 does that make me more of an expert NOT. Ok lets look at the #'s trailer out the door with both axles brakes $3300 and this is an upgrade trailer. 3 tow rigs 1 blue ox tow bar $600-$800 air to each tow rig $3000 installed. Plus I can use the trailer for other things and can get quad or other rec thing on board too. I guess it's kinda like the choice for RV's them selves 5th wheel, trailer, MH, camper each has a plus and minus. I've use all through the years and prefer the DP with 2 slides, might even like 3 or 4 maybe next time.

Thanks

LEN

Kirk

My question remains, since you know more than anyone who answered you and you have more experience than anyone, why did you bother to ask, and then come back to say that those who answer are wrong?

It can be done either way so do what you want. You are the expert.

LEN

God! I didn't come here to get in a pissing match with anyone. I didn't say anyone was wrong. And I said I'm NOT an expert, but I do have some experience. Yes! I have been around. Started driving pickups and campers towing trailers before I was legal to drive. Raced jeeps, flown aircraft, and St Helens almost killed me, only a missed phone call save my Butt. I took your advise, and the others, added the research I did on my own, called upon my own experience and made a choice, right, wrong, or indifferent. Now whats wrong with that?? Sorry if I offended in anyway, but it is my money to spend and I dam well will spend it the way I see fit and the way I believe fits me the best. All of the advise was looked at seriously and not brushed aside.

Thanks

LEN

DL Rupper

Hey Len, Welcome to the forum. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :)

LEN

THANKS SO MUCH!!

AND MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL and Happy new Year too.

LEN

Darwin

RE: First post and question been lurking a while

Len, I don't think your request and comments were anything but reasonable. Some people seem to have a chip on their shoulder. As I said most campers are very nice people. My wife and I commented after our last trip, we meet the nicest and friendlest people from all over the country.

C Nash

Len, welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas. You probably made the right decision for your self but I will only tow 4 down. Think Kirk was referring to your :question: which was made on the 21 and then your decision was made one day later on the 22. Takes most of us more time than that to listen and then make decisions :) . Some here are pretty direct with their answers but, they all have great information.

benwd

kirk--What did len say that made you feel the need to insult him?

'The word is "courtesy." If you make agressive posts that criticize those of others, you can expect a defensive response.'

brodavid

I Agree, Merry Christmas and let Goodwill and Peace be upon all,

SnowbirdInFlight

Len here's a great big

welcome2-1.gif

to the forum and don't feel alone. I got slammed on my first post too because the picture I posted was 'too big' in Kirk's opinion.

fantasy.gif

You didn't post anything wrong, don't worry about it and happy travels and a big

merrychristmas.gif

JLCT.gif

tt.gif