First time in Rental RV, need much advise for Alaska

koekeloer

Hi There,

Me and my wife (50+, bith from Europe) have planned a 3 week Alaska Vacation. We have booked an RV (Cruiseamerica), 25' long.
We have both never driven a vehicle as big as this, but I think this pasr of the trip we will manage (when we travel, it is not the top season yet (mid may - 10 June).
However, I am looking for RV locations in AK that are recommended. Also , I am not sure what some of the option mean when I see the RV adds. So please, any AK tips are welcome and also what does the following mean ?

What is:

a "Dry" Site
a "Pull Thru" Site

ARCHER

Re: First time in Rental RV, need much advise for Alaska

I believe the dry means there is no water hookup
Pull Thru site means you can just pull in from one end and exit the other end when your ready to depart (no backing up)
25 ft is not hard to drive. Just use your mirrors and watch your speed/weight/etc.

G

I agree with Archer 25ft aint nothing but a big 15 passenger van ,, as for alaska ,, i can't help u there ,, never been there ,, and i don't want to go TO COLD ,, (see my siginature at the bottom) anyway u should be ok ,, just remember ,, make u'r turn wide and don't get into any small parking lots at night ,, and welcome to the forum ;) :) :)

hertig

I think 'dry' site may not have electricity either. The term 'dry camping' means that you are completely self contained. Water from your fresh water tank, power from your batteries and possibly generator, sewage and waste water to your black and gray water tanks.

koekeloer

hertig - 4/6/2008 6:48 AM
The term 'dry camping' means that you are completely self contained. Water from your fresh water tank, power from your batteries and possibly generator, sewage and waste water to your black and gray water tanks.

Thanks for those replies. Is it easy to go "self contained" for 2 nights, or do I need to refill water / propane, etc already after 1 nigh (normal use) ? I am thinking about reserving spots in National Parks (Denali), but there are no hook-ups available in the park. So I want to avoid reserving a spot for 2 nights, and running out of supplies.

DL Rupper

Hey koekeloer, welcome to the forum. 2 to 3 nights shouldn't be any problem, however, you should check with the rental company to see if you get an onboard generator with the RV. You can store your used toilet (black) water and sink (gray) water in your holding tanks until you are ready to leave and then dump it at the RV park dump. The RV will probably have a 40 to 50 gallon fresh water tank and that should be enough for 2 to 3 nights. Hertig is probably right about the dry camping meaning just a place to park with no hookups.

TexasClodhopper

If you're going to be dry camping or "boon docking", you better learn how to take an 'RV shower', too! You'll want every last drop of water that you carry with you.

Since you might be depending on your propane a lot, better check the tank level with hot water before you get away from the rental place to see whether they really filled it up.

Some parks won't allow you to use a generator.

Boy, this is going to be a real adventure! :approve:

koekeloer

THe good thing is, I will not have a generator, so no worries about that. Plenty of Daylight is Alaska in summertime anyhow I hope.

Thanks for all these tips, it helps me out.

Paul235

Give us a little insight into what you are planning to see and do in Ak. I lived there (Anchorage for 12 years, left in 92. Spent most time fishing, hunting, ATV riding and snowmobiling.