FL to Maine to Alaska to San Diego and back. Help!

klaussinn

Hi,
This is a lifetime dream which now becomes reality and we would like to hear any kind of suggestions.
We are leaving on a round trip for a year and are newbees, I was wondering if you guys would like to share some of your experiences, places to visit etc.
We are leaving in 2 weeks from Tallahassee FL, direction Atlanta, Blue Ridge Mountains towards New England. From there we plan to go west through Canada to Wisconsin Dells, continuing to Anchorage Alaska, were we have to be on August 18th. Begining of Sep. we plan to go south to Vancouver, Oregon, CA and want to be back in FL a year from now.
This is a lifetime dream which now becomes reality and we would like to hear any kind of suggestions.

Thank you.
Klaus and Rose

elkhartjim

RE: FL to Maine to Alaska to San Diego and back. Help!

icon_smile_shock.gif
My first question...are you really newbees
icon_smile_question.gif
If so...this is one ambitious undertaking for a first trip....travel North America in 12 months ...makes me tired thinking of that. What do you estimate, about 12000-15000 miles plus side trips. Just make sure you keep us updated and it does seem to be the trip of a life time....I just hope it doesn't end yours.
icon_smile_big.gif
icon_smile.gif
DL has spent a month getting from Ohio to western Nebraska, primarily due to bad weather
icon_smile_sad.gif

klaussinn

Re: FL to Maine to Alaska to San Diego and back. Help!

Yes, we are really newbees :) and we came up with appr. 20,000 - 22,000 mls. :question: So we will see. Any suggestions reg. sightseeings would be appreciated. Also restaurants who stand out? Lobster in Maine is a must on our plan. We will keep you informed.

TexasClodhopper

20,000 miles? There's nothing left to recommend! You must be seeing EVERYTHING! :)

What are your likes and dislikes? Interests? Money a problem?

klaussinn

Not to much into museums. :laugh: Nature, Cuisine and earning to play golf is on our list. Get my pilot license extended to Water Planes in New England. Thats a weekend trip. Not to forget shopping, to get my wife satisfied. Also, I am always interested in any kind of good real estate deal, regardless were it is. Airplanes and Cars always spark my interest. Money is not really the problem. :)

onthecoach

All I can say is: Make sure you have a power surge protector either on board or to plug in --- you will need it!!!
I spent a summer in Booth Bay Harbor, Maine. We had fresh lobster EVERY NIGHT!!! It was AWESOME!!! You cannot drive the coach through the small streets of BBH, but you can drive a car. Beware: the weekends are PACKED!!!

Beyond that: HAVE A FABULOUS TRIP AND DO KEEP US ABREAST OF YOUR TRAVELS!!! WE ARE ALL JEALOUS!!!

klaussinn

Thank you for the tip. I would have never thought about that.

DARLING

Congrats on your upcoming trip.

From you listing it does not appear that you will be the Maryland Eastern Shore area, BUT

If you like MD hard shell crabs there is a wonderful place just outside Salisbury, MD. Actually in Delmar,Del.
AUCE early bird(4-6pm) Steamed MD white sweeet corn in the husks, Eastern Shore fried chicken, & of course Steamed crabs in Old Bay. UMMMMMM.

And of course, You cannot forget the BIG TEXAN Steakhouse in Ammarillo, Texas..

Darlin :cool:

elkhartjim

That's right Darlin about the Big Texan Steak House. We should also let them know the 72 oz steak is free ifin you eat it all. Course you gotta eat the shrimp coctail, potato, salad, veggie and bread plus the 72 ozer for it to be free. Darlin brags that her honey has done it. Wow.

DARLING

Everybody knows everything is bigger & better in Texas.

Also in Texas , we stopped at little place in Abilene or El Paso called Poncho's. The best soppapios(I don't tink is it spelled right but they are so gooood?), Light & Flakey Sweeten with honey. UMMMM

Darlin :cool:

G

well u almost got it right Darlin they are sophia pias ,, i can't use the hifen thingy ,, but if u like poncho's .. (we called it comercial mexican food ,, in NM)
U would love The taco shell in Alb. NM ,, they serve a stuffed sophia pia ,, and the green chile is hotter than hot ,, and if u can eat one ,, u'r in for a big night of rolaids ,,, they are huge and stuffed to the gill ,,, my mouth is watering now :bleh: :bleh: :bleh: ;) :approve: :laugh: :laugh:
Bty sophia pias are best plane with honey in them ,,, ummmmmmmmmm :approve: :approve: :approve: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Paul235

RE: FL to Maine to Alaska to San Diego and back. Help!

2 suggestions:

August 18th is just a little late to see anything much in AK. Summer arrives around June 1 and the snow could be flying by Sept 1. Termination dust on the mt tops is already creeping down the slopes.

Stop at Alyeska Ski area on your way through Portage Glacier'Turnigan Arm and have a real good peppersteak at the Double Musky Inn. Best I ever had!

You'll never be so bored by some of the most beautiful scenery on the Alcan Highway.