Flat Towing

Corey

I'm looking for a vehicle to flat-tow behind my diesel pusher. Any ideas? Would like to have something that will also get me good gas mileage. Is there anyone that has a VW Jetta diesel that flat tows?

C Nash

Flat Towing

We tow a 2002 4 door 4x4 automatic Chevy Tracker and it has been a great toad. gets around 25 miles per gallon when driving and really gets great milage when being towed :laugh: . All I have to do is transmission in park, 4 wheel drive in neutral, emergency brake off, key one notch back from on and go. Do have to stop every 200 miles and run engine for several minutes and not recommended to tow over 55mph. Don't think the VW can be towed 4 down without modifacations. You can check with Remco and see if they have the mods for a Jetta. Also motorhome magazine list vehicles that are towable 4 down. Do a search on Remco and Motorhome magazine.

Kirk

Flat Towing

We tow a Honda CR-V, 4WD with auto transmission. No modification needed, the owner's manual has a section titled "Towing Your CR-V Behind a Motorhome." It is easy, serves very well.

Browzin

Flat Towing

Just for what it is worth; almost Any vehicle can be flat towed with the addition of a REMCO lube pump. They have basically made it so that almost any vehicle can be flat towed. The installation of a lube pump is quick easy an simple with the information that comes from Remco. If you have a vehicle that you would like to tow, or have one in mind that you would like to tow and it is not on the list of 4 down tow-able, contact Remco, they more than likely can help you out.

HighwayRanger

RE: Flat Towing

I'm researching the same topic, and I emailed Remco. They replied that all manual transmission VWs can be flat towed without modification. We have an '02 diesel Jetta 5-speed. It gets 45 mpg, and only weighs 3200 lbs. I'd rather have our '04 Honda Pilot at our destination, but it weighs 4400lbs. We'll be towing with an E450 6.8L V-10 equipped Class C for now. I may just suck it up and rig the Honda since we'll want to tow it when we go full time in about 4 years (will be using DP then.) The VW also has almost no ground clearance which could be a problem. Sure wish it didn't cost over 2K to get this thing set up! :angry:

Kirk

Re: Flat Towing

Before you tow the Pilot, make sure that your GCWR is high enough to tow it without over-loading.

HighwayRanger

Re: Flat Towing

Thanks Kirk. We should be okay with a 14,050 GVWR and a 20,000 GCWR. I'll be at 18K or so total. We won't, however, be able to fill the Honda with other junk like most people do with their toads!

With the Chevy/Workhorse option, the GCWR was only 17600, which would not have allowed us to pull the Pilot. Hence the purchase of the Ford chassis.