Flying south for the winter

SnowbirdInFlight

Got up in this morning and walked the dogs. The crisp air and dry leaves that had fallen from the trees crunching under my feet, told me it was time. Yes Autumn was in the air. The smell of leaves burning, the sound of geese flying overhead, and the pain in my joints from the cold coming on, lol.

Had a blow out weekend with a big bonfire to say bye to the grown children and young granddaughters

Hit the road on Sunday (the 12th).

Had a great ride the first day and stopped at Manchester, GA KOA. We don't normally stop at KOA (Kash Over Abnormal) but, we were tired and wanted a quick get-on and get-off. Place was nice. Next day discovered tread coming off one of the trailer tires. So, we had to stop at the Co-op in town and buy a new tire.

Got on the road again and after getting on I75 and going through Atlanta a semi in front of us put off a great big puff of white smoke and then a big burst of fire. I thought the truck had exploded! Kudos to both my DH who threw on his emergency signals, slowed down, and kept his cool AND to the awesome FEMALE truck driver who was able to pull her rig over to the side of the road safely, with no danger to herself or any other driver on the road. Of course I was on the phone dialing 911 as soon as we saw the fire. As we passed her by the fire had gone out and she had gotten out and had a fire extinguisher in hand. Whew! Nerve-racking to say the least!

Next stop was last night at Forsyth, GA KOA. Again, fast on and off.

Getting ready to head out and get to our destination of Fort Stewart, GA. We'll be seeing our daughter and her husband who is a Major in the Army. Three weeks there before moving on.

Cheapest diesel so far was $3.49 cash price at Pilot just south of Chatanooga.

Go to album to see pics.

To be continued.....

SnowbirdInFlight

RE: Flying south for the winter

Thanks Lee!

We arrived at Fort Stewart, GA yesterday around 3pm. We are staying at the campground at Fort Stewart. It is an off-base campground. Holbrook Pond is the name. We have water and 50amp, but no sewer. They do have totes they will let you use if you don't have one. Very clean restrooms and laundry. Host is great! They have a few new things since we stayed in 2006. There is now a pet boarding facility less than a mile from the campground and a large RV storage area.

Of course you still have to watch out for the alligators in the pond they have next to the camping area! Yikes! Lots of armadillos running around and all the gun fire you would ever what as they hold training and maneuvers out here too.

But the absolute best part about staying at this FamCamp is the price! If you have Golden Age (which we do) it is only $6 a day!

Will probably stay here and visit daughter (great to see them!) for about three weeks. We'll take in the local sites and also go to Savannah to shop. I also want to head back to Beaufort, SC while we're this close to visit. That is where we were stationed for two years when DH was stationed there in 1969 and 1970. As a matter of fact, daughter was born there.

To be continued.....

SnowbirdInFlight

Well we finally got all our Dish channels yesterday! When we got here on the 14th we put out the Dish in what we thought would be the best place for getting all channels. But, NO. So, we were getting the sat 110 in very well. (We use a meter to find the sats.) But, 119 is the sat that has all the really good channels such as FOX news (DH has to have it!)

I kept telling DH we needed to move it in this little opening but he said it wouldn't make any difference. He moved the Dish around seven times and we STILL only got 110. Finally I said, just for fun, lets move it where I want. It can't be any worse than it is now. So, we moved it and viola! Now we have BOTH 110 and 119!

We drove to Savannah today and looked around. Not much else for now.

To be continued.....

cwishert

Re: Flying south for the winter

Why don't our husbands just humor us the first time we ask? Sometimes we do have an idea about what is going on! Glad you got all the good channels now. As for me I can live without the tv most of the time. Of course if I was out full timing I'm sure I would get a little bored once in a while. Hope you all have a great time on your travels and keep us posted.

SnowbirdInFlight

Been a while.

We left Fort Stewart and are currently at Eagle Hammock RV Park on the Kings Bay Submarine Base in Georgia.

This, without a doubt, is the best campground we've ever seen for the military. It has every thing but paved roads. The pads are large and concrete. You get water, 30/50 amp electricity, free cable, free wi-fi right at your campsite, free laundry, and a great restroom/shower house and community room. They have miles and miles of bike trails which are eight foot wide, paved roads!

Just keep an eye out for the gators! They have a lake for fishing and boating that has gators in it and also some large ditches around the base that are also home to some very large gators. We saw one while biking that was about twelve foot long!

On base they have a large commissary, PX, post office, bowling alley complete with a pizza restaurant, vet, gas station with bio-diesel (Way too expensive for us at $4.86 a gallon!), and a McDonald's of course!

Outside the base is Kingsland which has all the normal stuff; Wally World, Publix grocery, etc.

Nearby is St Marys, which according to the brochures, is the second oldest town in the United States. There is a church there that is 200 years old! They have lots of restaurants and shops there, all within walking distance. Very quaint little town.

Pictures of all are located in my album.

We'll be moving on to Florida on the 11th.

To be continued.....

SnowbirdInFlight

First - bought diesel yesterday for $2.89 at Jacksonville, FL.

We moved to Mayport NAS in Florida on the 11th. Then had an emergency with our female poodle, Pretty Girl. She was having major female problems. She had to have a hysterectomy quick. I was a basket case. We've had her for eight years and was very worried about her. She had Pyometra which is very serious. They also said she might have a liver problem but they had to get rid of the pyometra first. So they did surgery on the 13th. She came home on the 15th. She has 22 staples running up and down her poor little belly.

Her 'baby kittens' were sure glad to see her back home. One of them wants to lay beside her when she sleeps.

Anyway there are more pics in my album if you wish to see them.

Some pics are of the campground we're staying at, Pelican Roost RV Park at Mayport, FL. The campground is right on the ocean. It's fun to watch all the ships come through and the porpoises swim.

Some pics are of Jacksonville Landing where we went and checked out.

Some pics are of my Pretty Girl after surgery.

We'll be leaving here on the 18th heading west.

To be continued.....

SnowbirdInFlight

OMG! Where to start. We left the Pelican Roost RV Park at the Mayport NAVSTA on the 18th. Drove to Tallahassee, FL and spent the night at a very nice campground called the Big Oak RV Park . Very nice park. Only problem is the big oak trees, lol. Hard to find a slot open to point the DISH. It's only two miles off I-10. Pricey at $33 bucks but has full HU with free Wi-Fi. Didn't check out the bathrooms or laundry, so don't know how they are. Pics will be posted on my album for those interested.

We left the next day and headed west. We needed fuel so we stopped at Midway, FL and filled up with diesel at a Flying J at $2.69 per gallon. Got back on I-10, drove 7.5 miles and the engine went dead! Thank heavens we had enough momentum to pull all the way (plus some) off the road. At first we thought it was water in the fuel, since we had just filled up, but soon realized it was more than that. Called a tow company (Parkway Wrecker Service, Inc. out of Tallahassee) with a truck big enough to tow our truck, plus the trailer. He took us to Shiver Diesel Injection & Turbocharger, Inc., Midway, FL, for repairs. They had a large enough lot for us to unhook the trailer and they had the part we needed right there. So I was able to relax in the trailer with the laptop (on battery) until they got us fixed up. It took apx. four hours to get back on the road. It was our fuel injection pump. They were very nice and very reasonable.

However, now we had wasted the day away and were both tired so we stopped at the Dove Rest RV campground in Marianna, FL. Also right off I-10 and full HU's. Nice long sites too. Easy to pull in to and leave everything hooked up with lots of room to spare. $29.

Next day we made it into Gulfport, MS and are currently staying at the Shields RV Park at the Gulfport Naval Construction Battalion Center. Right now it's a temp RV Park because they are building a brand new one, but it has full HU's and free Wi-Fi. It is $15 per day or $285 per month, which works out to be $9.50 per day. We're staying a month.

We drove over to Long Beach and ate at Darwell's Cafe. Very good food, excellent Prime Rib sandwich. They were one of the featured restaurants on the Food Network Show, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. Food was great. We're going back there tomorrow. They also have The Shed BBQ in Ocean Springs that was also featured on the same show that we'll also try some time this week.

Diesel here at Gulfport - $2.49.

Well, that's all for now.

To be continued.....

try2findus

Please PM me and give me the link to view your album. Your travels sound awesome and I would love to see your pictures!

I am so glad your beloved doggie is better and your MH also! One never knows from one minute to the next what is in store for us, but I guess that is all part of life on the road.

Happy and safe travels to all this Christmas season!

SnowbirdInFlight

try2findus - 12/1/2008 8:59 AM Please PM me and give me the link to view your album. Your travels sound awesome and I would love to see your pictures! I am so glad your beloved doggie is better and your MH also! One never knows from one minute to the next what is in store for us, but I guess that is all part of life on the road. Happy and safe travels to all this Christmas season!

Just go up to the top of this page and click on ALBUMS then go to any of the three albums I have. You can make your own album too! Thanks for the good wishes.

SnowbirdInFlight

Well we left Gulfport, MS today and are heading west. We have stopped for the night at Scott, LA. Were hoping to get to eat at Fezzo's again, but alas they close at 2 pm on Sundays.

Will write more down the road.

To be continued.....

BTW - More photos on my ALBUM click on my Album Link .

SnowbirdInFlight

Well, we drove on from Scott, LA to Lake Charles, LA. Not very far but we got a very late start and had trouble with the slide-out. Any way we stayed a week at the park and really enjoyed it. Did get a little wind on the 27th when a cold front moved through. Other than that we had a good time.

LINK to my Lake Charles Album

SnowbirdInFlight

Long story short, we left Lake Charles, LA, stayed a week at San Antonio, TX where we went to the Riverwalk and The Tower of the Americas. We then visited Carlsbad Caverns, NM and Roswell, NM. We stayed a week at Holloman AFB near Alamogordo, NM and visited White Sands National Monument and Three Rivers Petroglyph site and the Space Museum there. Whew!

We are currently staying at the White Sands Missile Range, which is about 22 miles northeast of Las Cruces, NM. We have been very busy to say the least. Lots of pictures on my album and I will still be loading more later.

To be continued.....

G

Hey SB ,, i used to work at white sands ,, and we also had the contract for Alamagordo ,, Yes area 51 does exisit ,,, really ,,, we maintained all the Generators for them ,, but could not go to the other side of the area ,,, no matter how big our Q clearance was ;) :eek:
I worked for Westar ,, it was a contractor for ,, the Gov ,, they did most of the guidance system for the missle that they say we don't have ;) :eek:
:approve:
Btw i Lived in Albuquerque ,, NM ,, only a short ride to both ,, but even better ,, it was in a Gov vehicle :cool: :laugh:

H2H1

see Rod that is where you should have stayed and by now now you could be retired and join the ranks with Nash, DL and others. And you could be fultiming or traveling more than you are now. BUT U WILL GET THERE IAM SURE :cool: :cool: :cool:

G

Well hollis ,, it wasn't up to me ,, that yr we got a president ,, named Clinton ,, and well he had the bright idea to cut our budget ,, and said it could be done cheaper by contracting our jobs out ,,, i won't go into the details ,, but now here i am :angry: :laugh:
SOUND LIKE SOMEONE ELSE :(

H2H1

I know about Clinton and his Govnt contractors. I use to over see them and then I worked for one for 3 years and that was to long. I saw first hand how they screw over the Govn't

SnowbirdInFlight

730 - 1/19/2009 7:01 PM Hey SB ,, i used to work at white sands ,, and we also had the contract for Alamagordo ,, Yes area 51 does exisit ,,, really ,,, we maintained all the Generators for them ,, but could not go to the other side of the area ,,, no matter how big our Q clearance was ;) :eek: I worked for Westar ,, it was a contractor for ,, the Gov ,, they did most of the guidance system for the missle that they say we don't have ;) :eek: :approve: Btw i Lived in Albuquerque ,, NM ,, only a short ride to both ,, but even better ,, it was in a Gov vehicle :cool: :laugh:

Rod that reminds me of a t-shirt I bought in Roswell for my son that had on the front - 'What happens in Roswell, gets shipped to Area 51'. LOL.

Well today and last night, we are getting a taste of the NM winds! So far the highest gust has been 62 miles per hour!!! Yikes!!! Good thing DH made the special outriggers for the trailer which keep it steady as she blows. ;)

White Sands Missile Base is pretty small but has all the amenities such as a small Exchange, a medium sized Commissary, an eight lane Bowling Alley, A small Theater that shows movies only on Friday and Saturday, Schools, Youth Center, Aqua Center, a Golf Course, a Missile Museum, a Post Office, and about five restaurants. Yet it is so small in the base proper that you would never get lost.

The campground only has eight full hook-up sites (no cable or wi-fi) for $10 a day and four overflow sites with 15 amp service only for only $5 a day, so the price is right. Since you are away from everything (22 miles to nearest town) with no trains or highways it is a very peaceful place to be. You are in the Tularosa Basin so you are surrounded by mountains. Scenery is great and the mountains seem to change on an hourly basis depending on where the sun is located in the sky. Love it!

We will be moving on Feb 1st towards Tucson, AZ. Eventually hoping to go back in time and end up at Camp Pendleton in California where DH went through basic training. He's wanted to go back and re-visit the time when he was 17. Of course after 46 years you know he won't recongnize much, lol. Hoping to stay on base there too.

To be continued.....

G

WHAT 60 mph winds ,, heck when i lived there we called them a breeze :laugh: ,, the wind blows in NM all the time ,, u get used to after awhile ,,, but i am sure glad i don't live there anymore :approve: :approve: