Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Melbournedave

Purchased a 2004 F250 6.0 Diesel F4 less than a week ago with 4500 miles. Two days after purchase the truck starts stalling out or losing its power at intermittent times. The troublelight on the dashboard indicating water in the fuel comes on and the engine basically dies. It's quite dangerous pulling into fast moving traffic in this condition. Drained the in line filter and no evidence of water was present. The dealership says it's probably a faulty sensor since they've had several in with the same problem. They are doing diagnostics on it on Monday. Is this a simple fix or is there more problems on the horizon? Are other 2004 Ford 6.0 F250 diesel owners experiencing similar problems?

C Nash

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Don't start worring "yet". Give the dealer a chance to repair it. Sounds like it is a problem they have seen.

Shadow

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Chelse right, sounds like a cam sensor- fuel sensor. Warranty will cover it. Should have her back in no time.

rking

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Purchased a 2004 F-250 [.0 Super Duty had problems with the transmission kicking out of overdrive and the tow haul light kept blinking on the dash. Dealer changed out a range module and seems to have taken care of the problem.quote]Originally posted by Melbournedave

Purchased a 2004 F250 6.0 Diesel F4 less than a week ago with 4500 miles. Two days after purchase the truck starts stalling out or losing its power at intermittent times. The troublelight on the dashboard indicating water in the fuel comes on and the engine basically dies. It's quite dangerous pulling into fast moving traffic in this condition. Drained the in line filter and no evidence of water was present. The dealership says it's probably a faulty sensor since they've had several in with the same problem. They are doing diagnostics on it on Monday. Is this a simple fix or is there more problems on the horizon? Are other 2004 Ford 6.0 F250 diesel owners experiencing similar problems?
[/quote]

Keithgovero

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Our 2004 F350 Powerstroke 6.0 has been doing the same thing. What did your diagnostic testing show at your dealership? We are going to be taking ours in, but would like to be able to maybe give them a heads up. They have already put it on the computer and it showed "water in fuel" code, which he then crawled under my truck and allowed enough diesel to drain to correct that problem. It happened several more times, so they replaced fuel/water separator, saying it had probably shorted out. It has not stopped the problem. Need help!!

Russc

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Sorry I could not have gotten this info prior to your purchase, but this happenend to one of my co-workers. He eventually found out that the used, low mileage 2004 F 250 he purchased, from his Ford dealer, was a "Buy Back", by Ford, that had a history of problems. Check "Car Fax" using your VIN to see if they show any problems reported with your vehicle. I asked for more info from him, but he is not at liberty to say anything as he is in arbitrations at this time.

Having said this, I am a devout Ford man, and have been for many years. I have owned various trucks, going back as far as 1967, both gas and diesel. Most recently I have had the 2003 F 250 Lariat 6.0 (still own) and now have a 2005 F 250 King Ranch 6.0, and knock wood have been very satisfied with all of them. As stated before let the dealer look into it and he should be able to rectify these problems. The advice I gave was only to pass on info I was aware of. You may find that it is no big problem at all!!

Best wishes with the solutions to your problems. Let us know what they find :question:

Shadow

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Wish Melbournedave would come back and tell us what they found. While he and Keithgovero have the same symptoms, one had water in the fuel,the other didn't. The early 6.0s had injector problems which would leave them dead in their tracks also.Check on the manufacturers built date, I think most of the 6.0s with injector problems were built before March 04.

darn_gwm

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

We have 2004 F350 dually for work truck. I recently had this problem which one day totally shut me down in the middle of the road. White "smoke" poured out. Engine would run but would not move the truck forward or reverse. I paid to have this towed to Ford Dealer.

Truck was in 3 different Ford Dealers over the next week before it was determined to be carbon buildup at the intake. Had to wait over a week to get the part in from Ford. Each dealer charges $100 deductible... so I advise to stay at same dealer if you can. I was traveling from out of state and had no choice.

It's been a few weeks now, and the water in fuel light has come back on again but is still drivable. Not really sure yet what is going on. It seems to have lost some power again. We have 61,000 miles on this truck.

Kenneth H

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Ford has such a loyal customer base. Too bad they don't build products to deserve it. I have owned 3 F-350's, so I did give them a chance. They were the worse vehicles I have ever owned. The 6.0 has given Ford a major headache.

ksmith1108

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Have a couple of 04 F350 DRWs. All are experiencing the same problems. Have turned them in multilple times for the same stalling and surging. I love the trucks, but one more time and a discision will have to be made to keep or let them buy them back.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

One of my employees has an '04 F-350 6.0 in the shop right now. They called yesterday and said it was the EGR valve. Of course the dealership did not have one and had to order it. I will report back when he gets the truck back and let you know.

CHRIS67

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

quote:Originally posted by Melbournedave

I have had the same type of problems for about a year. The water in the fuel light comes on along with the glow plug light. I loose power, the engine shuts down to a idle. FORD says its the wiring harness in the engine, they have replaced it 4 times now and its still not fixed. The truck is going back tomorrow 4-19-05. The problem goes away for awhile after each time its been in the dealer, but comes back. I am in the process of telling ford to replace the truck or i'm filing for a lemon.

idaspud

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I have a 03 six liter and have had problems with it missing, (like I had a fouled spark plug,) and a huge loss of power while pulling hills with my fifth wheel. I think this is two different problems. Ford, finally after 5 attempts found the back pressure control valve sticking and the pressure sensor out of calibration. I haven't got the truck back so don't know if this solves the problem or not. I am now arguing with them about the $100 deductable because this problem has been there for many miles before the 36,000 which I just passed. Anyone have any luck talking Ford out of the deductable??

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

My employee finally got his truck back. The EGR apparantly fixed his problem, but he has only driven it home. He is pulling his trailer tonight. I will ask how it did.

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

My 2004 f250 has been having the same problems. I have had it in the dealer 12 times. They have replaced wiring harnesses, egr valve, cleaned out carbon build up, replaced censors, reprogrammed the computer a few times, etc. They still do not know whats wrong, and it runs like sh_t! I push on the accelerator and nothing is there. It is lucky to drag itself up a hill. The check engine light always comes on. Back in the shop at another dealer today. 4-28-05 My truck only has 14,000 miles. After my 3rd new ford and terrable customer service, this is the last straw. I will NEVER buy another Ford!!!!!!!!!! I hope Ford can figure this problem out or here I come Dodge & Chevy to trade this $40,000 piece of sh_t in for something else.

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I picked up my truck after repair and they replaced the o2 sensor and reprogrammed the computer. They say it runs perfect now. ????? I noticed it has very little power in first but the power kicked butt in second gear on??? Within 1/2 mile from the dealer the engine light came on again. Lost even more power. Wow what a surprise. Back to the dealer for the 14th time. What next? 4-28-05

AC

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I have experienced the same problem. Stalling out, towing from the freeway, surging, bucking and snorting, you name it when it comes to this engine it does it. Truck is in the shop now, installing new EGR. Only problem the EGR was disconnected the last time the engine stalled. Ford dealership doesn't seem to listen to me and changed the EGR anyhow. Any ideas folks?

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

My truck has been in the shop for 2 more days now. I just called and they are waiting to here from the engineers at ford on what to do next. When I hit the peddal a bit hard it makes the engine light come on and starts running terrable. They say tht it is the backpressure. The engine code still says o2 sensor & egr valve. These are still new, just replaced. This has been going on for 15 months now. I guess that it is time for a lemon law attorney. I will wait a little longer. Good luck with yours!

AC

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Mine in the shop for the 3rd day this go around and the service dept. just called, they want it for another day to install a computer upgrade that has been shipped by Ford to them. We'll See.

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

My trucks 4th day in the shop this time. They have been making ford recomended repairs, but everything they do has not fixed the problem. It is still running bad, and the engine light keeps comming on within a couple miles. They claim that they are waiting to see what the ford engineers want to try next! Good luck with yours.