Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

AC

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I think my 6.0 is fixed after 8 tries. I have now out about 3000 miles on the last repair and everything is fine. Mileage up about 2.5 MPG to about 19.5 MPG and no stalling or bucking. Ford put a data recorder in my truck and discovered that the fuel presuure was dropping from 1200 psi down to 260 psi when the unit acted up. They replaced the sensor and the connector. The mechanic said he thought the connector was the culprit as several of the pins were suspect. I'm happy again.

Randy Paul

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I purchased a 2004 450 in Jan 04 with a 6.0. At 44,000 it overheated and had to have the engine replaced under warranty. Now with 97,000 it over heated again and they had to replace the the egr cooler. When put back to gether it overheated again and now their putting a new head on it. First engine repair was 7 seven weeks. So far this time it's one week and expect it will go for 2-3 more days. I've been in contact withDetroit and tomorrow I'am going to demand an extended warranty for 200,000 miles (noew have 97,000 and only 3000 miles left). I also am going to call the attorney back tomorrow and see if he can help.. Wish I had my 97 Dodge back with 291,000 miles and still was running good. Good luck and let me know if you have any advice or can help and the same here. Randy

GAGirl

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Help! In March 2005 I purchased a 2004 F250 Crew Cab, 6.0 diesel, king ranch. This truck had 29,500 miles on it when I bought it.
On July 12, 2005 I took my truck in for general service. My truck has 39,500 miles on it. The service center called me that day and told me my truck had serious problems. Long story short, the motor had to be replaced. I went back to the service center on August 2, 2005 to pick my truck up and it took 4 tries before it would crank. It was like the truck had lost its prime. Once the truck cranked, it would crank right back up. However, once the motor cooled down, it took 3-4 tries before it would crank again.
The service center tells me my truck is loosing oil pressure. They removed the oil pump and checked for scaring. I was told the pump "had very, very little scaring." The service center has no idea how to fix my truck. They have tried cranking my truck so much the batteries went dead and had to be recharged. A service technical engineer is supposed to be coming tomorrow, August 16, 2005 to look at my truck. Ford has no idea what is wrong. Has any one else experienced this type of problem? Please help me!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Hate to tell you this, but my local Ford dealer has 6.0 engines piled up in the rear of the shop where they have changed engines. Sorry, but it seems like no one knows how to fix them. One of their better mechanics told a customer the other day that the best thing he could do was get a GM or Dodge. I cleaned that up a lot and the mechanic lost his job.
I mean no disrespect and I do mean "Good Luck"

GAGirl

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Just found out this morning. The "new" motor that was installed in my truck back in July 2005 has a hole in the block. Ford is sending another "new" motor today.

4play

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I still have trouble believing Ford screwed up a nice truck like the 7.3. They've taken themselves from the industry leader to the 3rd choice. I had friends that are sick about trading their 7.3's in for the newer 6.0. Two of them regulary got 20+mpg empty & now one gets 15 max, the other gets 16mpg empty. Both of them have made several warranty repairs.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Ford could not make the 7.3 meet EPA regulations and, when running, the 6.0 has more power than they could get out of the 7.3. I expect they would like to have the 7.3 back.
I talked to a VA state trooper today who has a 2003 F-250. He found a oil leak at 34,000. Took it in and there is an oil gasket in the middle of the engine that was leaking. They have to pull the engine just to change the gasket. When they got it out and got inspecting closer, the determined there was a problem at assembly of the engine. They put in a new engine and took a month to do it. Now, at 1,200 miles on the new engine, it is leaking again in the same place. To say the least, he is not happy.

just hunting

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I HAVE OWNED A FORD POWERSTROKE 7.3 FOR SOME TIME 230,000 MILES NO ENGINE RELATED PROBLEMS TO SPEAK OF.THIS TRUCK HAS MOSTLY BEEN USED AS A RANCH TRUCK AND A DAILY DRIVER. MY WIFE HAS RECENTLY GRADUATED COLLEGE AND BEEN HIRED ON AS A TEACHER. I REALLY WANTED TO GET HER A NICE TRUCK TO DRIVE FROM THE RANCH TO WORK AND SHUTTLE OUR THREE KIDS AROUND. I THOUGHT I HAD FOUND ONE, IN A SUPER CLEAN USED F-350 CREW CAB LARIAT. I DECIDED TO SHELL OUT THE MONEY ABOUT TWICE AS MUCH AS WE HAVE EVER PAID FOR A VEHICHLE, NEEDLESS TO SAY IT HAS TURNED OUT TO BE A NIGHTMARE STUMBLE STUTTER , WONT RUN IF COLD OR IF THE TRUCK IS HOT TERRIBLE ECONOMY. IT IS AT THE DEALER AGAIN TODAY. THE TRUCK RUNS OUT OF WARRANTY IN 4000 MORE MILES. STILL HAVE YEARS TO PAY. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY RECOURSE WE MAY HAVE

Coslett

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

We have a 2004 Ford 6.0 diesel in a Sportsmobile. We believe it is one of the first 500 delivered in a van.

We have loved it, but after 18,000 miles, we have just experienced "chugging" when letting off on the throttle after climbing a hill. Ford is stonewalling us on it. Anyone else experience the problem? Any ideas on cause?

We also have minor annoyances like the engine light always going on, saying "look at our instrument panel" and "water in fuel".

Jay Coslett-Goleta, Ca

Postscript - We broke down in St George Utah on the way home from Colorado. Finally, we were blessed with a mechanic that was knowledgable. He found the problem immediately. It was a high pressure oil leak. He had to pull the engine to fix it. This was also the cause of the "chugging". The oil leak caused a stuck valve in the supercharger. I also noticed a 3-mpg drop in fuel efficiency. He replaced the supercharger, and verified the "water in fuel" problem-bad sensor.

Based on this experience, I believe that a lot of Ford dealers suffer from inadequate Diesel engine knowledge (incompetence)in their service departments.

If you want a good Ford Diesel mechanic, go to the Ford dealer in St George.

GAGirl

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I finally got my truck out of the shop on Friday, August 26, 2005. (Truck went in the shop on July 12 and Ford installed TWO new motors before they finally got it fixed.) So far my truck is running great. Ford called me today and said they are giving me "free of charge" the Premium Care Plan for all of my trouble. Hopefully this will be my last dealing with Ford concerning problems with this truck.

badford

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Hi,

I saw your posting about your ford truck. I have an 05 6 liter F350 that doesn't run for more than three weeks at a time without breaking down. I have owned the truck for 6 months and am now on breakdown number 9. I have met several other people that have had the same problems with Ford's unwillingness to help with this particular motor. Which is why I am searching for anyone interested in joining in a class action suite. My brother is a class action attorney in Indianapolis and is ready to file. I am trying to gather as many people with the same issues as possible. We also have possession of a manual distrubuted to Ford service managers on how to deal with Ford 6 liter diesel customers. Hopefully your are interested or can at least share your story. Below is my contact information.

Christian Bock
Cell: 704-507-9667

badford

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Hi,

I saw your posting about your ford truck. I have an 05 6 liter F350 that doesn't run for more than three weeks at a time without breaking down. I have owned the truck for 6 months and am now on breakdown number 9. I have met several other people that have had the same problems with Ford's unwillingness to help with this particular motor. Which is why I am searching for anyone interested in joining in a class action suite. My brother is a class action attorney in Indianapolis and is ready to file. I am trying to gather as many people with the same issues as possible. We also have possession of a manual distrubuted to Ford service managers on how to deal with Ford 6 liter diesel customers. Hopefully your are interested or can at least share your story. Below is my contact information.

Christian Bock

badford

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Hi,

Christian Bock

toddf

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I purchased my 2004 4x4,6.0, crew cab, F-250 new 19 months ago. I have added a Diablo predator tuner, and banks cat back exhaust system. The truck has currently 17,000 miles and has been used 80% for towing, everything from a 2500# boat, to the same boat behind a 8,000# fifth wheel. I also sell firewood and tow a 16 foot trailer that weighs about 10,000#'s when loaded with oak. I have had zero problems with the truck. The biggest problem is staying off the throttle at the stop lights because it is so much fun to blow away most cars. Towing mileage has been in the 10-13mpg range depending on conditions, and highway mileage is 16-19mpg. I live in Wisconsin where the truck is frequently started in temperatures below 0 degrees farenheit. This truck has started as good as any of my previous three 7.3 diesels, with far less smoke.

Not all news needs to be bad, I thought I would post this news based on a very satisfied Ford customer. We will see what future brings.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Hey toddf, welcome to the forum.
I am glad you are having no problems with your truck. Yes, it is good to hear good news, but as the saying goes: "Even a blind hog can snort out an acorn every now and then."
My two employees have '03 and '04 Fords, and have had minor problems. I hope your luck continues.

siteplus

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I own a 2003 F-350 6.0 diesel and tow a 32' Alumasacpe fifth wheel and have had at least 12 trips to the dealer in two years to rectify the engine performing poorly. On my last three outings of three hours or more pulling the trailer my service engine light came on and stayed on resulting in poor power and poor fuel economy. It has been the EGR valve the first two times and I am waiting today to see what they have found from my recent trip. Hopefully they will found the cause of the EGR to give out.

I suspect 6.0's manufactured before May 04 have had problems as I know many guys owning post May 04 trucks with little or no problems. It would appear Ford found a fix for later models and has yet to cure my problem satisfactory. I have had my injectors replaced, water sensors and filters, turbo lines, and recalibrated ten times. The fix lasts but not for long. If I don't tow it seems to run fine. Pull my fifth wheel for over three hours or the equipment trailer for a long distance and I have all sorts of problems.

The worst aspect is not knowing when you are going to lose at that raw power of baking the rear tires. Too many times pulling out the truck just barely crawls out of it's own way. The rest of the day is never the same.

Best advice I can give is to stay with the same dealer that has fulltime diesel mechanics. Not all dealers do.

If any one ever happens upon the permanent solution to this ordeal, that information would be greatly appreciated and shared.

Remember Ford trucks are not the only diesel trucks having their share of problems. I just would like to know how many truck from 2004 and to present are having these problems as I want to get a new truck and do not want to spend $40k to buy into the same ordeal.