Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

cwjdmd

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I have a 2003 Ford 6.0 diesel that I have had in 5 times for "water in fuel" light. First time was at 7270 miles. Last time 26,300. Service manager told me I keep getting dirty fuel and I need to drain it "regularly". It seems to me if this were the problem there would be trucks lined up at every service department to change their filters/separators. No one I talked with seems to have this problem but me around here. Service manager says he has 2 or 3 trucks with the same thing. What can I do? Will Ford buy back these problem trucks? I'm filling out the Dispute Settlement Board Application and looking into Lemon Law for Florida. Is it safe to drive with the "water in fuel light" on? Any advice would be appreciated

DL Rupper

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Hey cwjdmd, I've been driving diesel pick-ups all over the U.S. and Canada for 11 years and have never experienced a "water in fuel" light so I don't think its bad fuel. Don't know what's causing your light to come on, so I won't venture to say if it's safe to drive. Don't think I would. The dealer will use it against you in a dispute. Good luck.

StillPluggin

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Ford truck owners I am sorry for your troubles. Reading about the issues with Ford convinced me to buy a Dodge Cummins diesel. Again sorry for your problems but your honesty really helped me decide which truck to buy

DL Rupper

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I confess, Chelse found me out, I'm a Dodge dealer. Ford and Chevy owners take heart, since all Dodge pick-up owners post positive comments about their Dodge trucks, we must all be dealers. Sounds good to me. Actually it sounds like a vast right-wing conspiracy. I'm sincerely sorry our pickups are cheaper and run so good that we can't complian. Maybe some people are just prone to make the same mistake over and over again. On the other hand some of us profit by our mistakes and learn from them. Yes over the years I have owned 3 Chevrolet pickups, 1 Ford pickup, 1 Ford Van, 1 Ford SUV and sorry to say my son currently owns a "05" Ford F-150 with a V-8 gas engine. The embarrassment of it. But then we can't be held responsible for the mistakes of our offspring. Can we? :) :laugh: :cool: :blush: :bleh: :evil: ;) :clown: :approve:

texhomeboy

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

well i guess ill join the prob crowd
my 2004 f350 has had nothing but problems.Im glad to know that the stalling problem is not just me.Ive had 3 egr valves 4 computer flashes. turbo sensor trans fixed once replace once and still have the stalling problem

Just sent the paperwork to BBB so we will see but just owning the truck 10 months and its been in the shop 34 days of them and still having problems i think enough is enough

tex

cwjdmd

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

For the 5th time Ford has "repaired" my 6.0 F350. Again they say I am getting bad fuel. They drained the tank, purged the entire fuel line system, replaced 8 injectors, changed both filters, changed the oil. All to the tune of $3925. I have kept receipts for my fuel purchases so I called them and they say Ford is lying to me that they have had no other complaints. However, at the Ford dealership, they say they have seen 5 cases of bad fuel and or gas this past week. I live in Pensacola, FL and we have had major problems getting gas and fuel since Katrina. Most stations ran completely out at some point so maybe it is the fuel. Just my sad story!

cwjdmd

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

For the 5th time Ford has "repaired" my 6.0 F350. Again they say I am getting bad fuel. They drained the tank, purged the entire fuel line system, replaced 8 injectors, changed both filters, changed the oil. All to the tune of $3925. I have kept receipts for my fuel purchases so I called them and they say Ford is lying to me that they have had no other complaints. However, at the Ford dealership, they say they have seen 5 cases of bad fuel and or gas this past week. I live in Pensacola, FL and we have had major problems getting gas and fuel since Katrina. Most stations ran completely out at some point so maybe it is the fuel. Just my sad story!

Coslett

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

After going to several dealers, the Mechanic in the Ford dealership in St George Utah, validated to flawed sensor, and replaced it. Two other prior dealerships just changed the software to make it less sensitive - that's the normal Ford "fix". Find a delaer that will verify the problem.

Jay Coslett

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I have to go with D.L. on this, I bought my first diesel in a 1992 Chev. and have had 8 diesels since then, including the 2 I have now. I have NEVER had the "water in fuel" light come on. Even the 3 Fords I tried to keep running did not do it. (I did have the 7.3 engines.) I put approx. 100k on all, with one Dodge going 140k. I have NEVER run into water in fuel.

Firebug

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

If your truck is just dying with no response. That would be your fly-by-wire foot pedal. My 2004 f-350 dualy 6.0 (JUNKER) has now had four EGR's, one turbo, 2- cold air turbo tubes, ALL the injectors ,Multi fuel fillters, Flashed so many times it thinks its a Dodge, Fuel mielage was ranging between 5-8 miles per gallon then 8-10 mpg.@ 35,000 miles, CD changer that would get so hot it wouldn't eject cds(That was the worst), Some little tube in the front of the engine they have to roto rooter out EVERY fricken oil change. But the best one had to be the foot pedal controller where it would go then die then go then nothing. Thats when I told them to pick it up! I was 150 miles from them and 180 from home MAD was not what I was feeling.But of course with Fords wisdom thats not a lemmon law truck its all different problems not the same thing. My truck is now going in for all the RECALLs that they have out on them now. :angry:

mikey

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I'm going thru the exact same thing with ford diesel 6 liter . I have a hearing this week to see whatthey are going to do with this lemon. this truck is not relieable. you can't even trade it in for a new truck .I'll post my outcome next week :cool: :bleh:

DL Rupper

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Should'a, would'a, could'a bought a Dodge. Only light flashing in 53k miles has been a "bulb out" light. Took all of 20 minutes to replace a brake light bulb. Come to think of it, Fords better idea was a light bulb. Merry Christmas from the heartland.

LDS 3500

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

The company i work for has 8 F 250's they all have been in the shop at least once for loss of power all are 2004 and 2005 trucks the maint director has a 2004 F 350 drw 4x4 it too has been back for injectors fuel lines and serious oil leaks. I'm not going to bad mouth any manufactures my personal choice is dodge i've had 2 a 1995 automatic i haul boats from fla. to mass./ill. i grossed out at 23000 lbs never had any problems with powertrain 10 mpg loaded 60 mph top speed with that truck had 356 gears. Got 18 mpg in city 23 mpg empty hwy. My current truck is a 1998 with 102000 miles runs like a top no powertrain complaints 14 mpg city 19 mpg hwy.411 gear.The only problem i've had with both is the front brake calapers the left one eats brake pads every 30000 miles due to different manufactures at the time they were built some calapers were made in usa others were made elswhere the latter are the ones that fail. I've changed the calapers and problem solved. I'm sold on dodge won't own any other heavy duty truck. Happy Holidays ya'll.

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Bought an F-350 dually crew cab 4X new in Sept. 03. Truck was built in Jan. 03. First problem started at 10,000. From there until warranty expired at 100,000 it had been to various dealers 19 times with various issues and had 14 injectors replaced. From 100k to 260k it was in the dealers another 13 times and another 16 injectors replaced, transmission, egr valves etc. At 263k it is now broke down again and the dealer says the engine is shot. Hell, I knew that at 36,000 miles! Truck is used for hauling 5th wheels from manufacturer to dealer. Smartest thing I did was buy a used Dodge 2001 with a Cummins (had a 100k on it) in June of 04. Thank goodness it's reliable, it's been covering my Ford payment! Just so you don't think I'm a complete idiot (parts are missing) I started fighting with the dealer and Ford at 50,000. The dealer has since filed bankruptcy and Ford Dosen't want to know me from Adam.

cwjdmd

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

My F350 continues to have problems. After replacing all 8 injectors, due to bad fuel according to Ford, I had a blown head gasket. About a month later I had to have 2 injectors replaced due to bad O rings. Yesterday took it in for engine light coming on and surging. They replaced the VGT actuator. Engine light came back on today. They say this is a problem for 04 and 05's (mine's an 03) and they have not received a recall on the 03's yet so they are trying to figure out how to fix it. This is all on less than 30,000 miles (29874 this morning). I need some advice on what to do. I have an extended warranty until 12/07, but there is a $250 deductible each time I take it in. Do I just sell it for what I can get now and cut my losses or stick it out and hope for better days? I really don't know what to do with it. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

If I'd had a clue when I bought my 03 F-350 of the troubles ahead, I'd be driving a Chevy or Dodge now. Unfortunately for me, it's too late. No more miles than you have on it, I'd assume it's not used as a work truck, or at least not driven long distances. Personally from past experience, I'd take it on the chin and sell it. Or give it to someone I really, really disliked. Or you can keep it. But you'll need to budget in the co-pay. Which with your average mileage, shouldn't be more than 5 to 8 times a year. Trust me, the 2003 6.0 will never be turned into lemonade.

nblatnick

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Wife wants me to trade my 2005 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4, 6 sp for an automatic. I know that Dodge trannys are not strong, but can be built up. So, I looked for Ford F-250 problems and caught this site. Thanx for all the info. My son bought a 2004 F-250 diesel and I copied some of the fixes. So far I don't think he's had these problems. I bought my last 1997 Dodge Cummins 4x4 with 117,000 and put 70,000 miles before selling it. I did rebuild the front end myself when I bought it. Only problem up to 187,000 was clutch needed replacing. After 45,000 on my new Dodge with only a clutch slave unit going out, I'm keeping it!!!! I work in Idaho and visit Texas and fam many times a year, pull a 30' travel trailer and need something very reliable. Thanx again for all the info.