Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Shadow

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Hi nblatnick, so you just typed in Ford F-250 problems and it directed you to this site? Just curious!

C Nash

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Shadow guess since all fords break down you better just camp in your yard :laugh: . Does seem kind of strange that on this forum the Fords really are taking a bashing. Never was a Ford persom myself but I have just not seen any or many of these problems around here. Still hang out around the local Ford, chevy, dodge dealers here because a lot of my fomer students work at them. See all being towed in and most by Ford deisel wreckers :eek: Did see a Dodge towing a 5th wheel broke down on 157 the other day :eek: Recond it was DL :angry: :laugh: :)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Your right Chelse, a lot of wreckers and rollbacks are Fords. I always wondered why. Guess the mechanics driving them can keep them running. Wonder how many parts they get from the Fords they are towing? :laugh:

Shadow

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Ya know Chelse,I've only owned three fords my entire life. Was always a big block chevy man. But all three trucks have given me little or no problems to speak of. Granted they are all 7.3s but I won't hesitate to buy the 6.0 when that time comes. Just think ford has the better truck right now. Had a hot shot driver at work the other day with 478,000 miles on his 2000 7.3. Said he was going to call ford when it turns a million miles. See if they would put him in a tv commercial. :laugh: If it was DL he would never allow a ford to tow him in. ;) :laugh:

nblatnick

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Well, didn't mean to bash Fords. Didn't realize I had. I just thanked everyone for the info. I also searched Dodge and they get bashed also, for mainly the auto trans. Which is why I checked Ford sites. In fact, that is why I looked at Fords before buying my new Dodge. But, three times I went in the Ford dearlership. Looked around the lot. Went inside. Sat down. Stood up. Looked around the dealership floor. No help, ever. I figured their service was similar, which is what I'm reading on this site. I went to Dodge. Friendly, no pressure, honest... I bought! Shadow. I forget the exact words I used in the search engine. I think Google finally nailed this site. Chelse, my home is off 157 in Mansfield, TX. I understand you can order a Cummins in a Ford, but F-450 and up. Maybe the wreckers were running Cummins? Everything has issues. I'm shipping back my $600 juicer that stopped working.
I didn't even say "found on road dead." :laugh: But I called my son not an hour ago and told him what I was reading on this site about engine problems. He said he had just taken his F-250 in this week for a dealer recall replacing a demodulator? He may have gotten it wrong. After leaving the dealership, yup - you should have guessed. It is sputtering, cutting out and running shabby. Sure couldn't pull a Dodge that way. Looks like after 13,000 that his problems are just beginning. He is going looking for a Dodge again. He had a 2001 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually. He sold it when his fiance (spelling?) recommended it. Been sorry ever since. Got into a 2004 F-250 a year ago because of financing. Looks like he will need to set up a side account to finance breakdowns, rent cars, etc. Again no offense.

Neil

Shadow

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Welcome to the forum nblatnick. I do hope your son has better luck than the others. Do you have an RV of any kind? Lots of good people on this site. If you had to find one,this is a good one. Take care.

nblatnick

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Shadow. Thanx for the welcome. I bought a 30' travel trailer in April to live in, thinking I'd pay for it while working as a road warrior. But, with lot payments, propane, trailer payments and no per diem, I'm hollerin' "uncle." Anyone interested in buying? I'm in Idaho Falls.

C Nash

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Grandview, if you are correct on the mechanics maybe they are keeping the fords wreckers running :laugh: :laugh: . Neil you might have something on the engine being a cummins in the big boys. You are doing the right thing by checking all information you can find just remember it's just others opinion. As i have said before we in the automotive field have been know to go into forums and bash other makes for fun :( . I have never been a Ford person even though my first car was a 49 ford sedan. Loved it and still want one for a drag car but, it would be chevy powered :laugh: . As I have said before never buy an rv thinking you will get by cheaper. come on out to the campgrounds and sit around the fires if you really want to hear some bragging.
Shadow you are right it was a ford wrecker towing the Dodge so it could not be DL :laugh: :laugh:

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

You cannot get the Cummins in a Ford. Starting with the 650 you can get a Cat. I will double check with my buddy at a Ford dealership tomorrow, but I think I am 99% right. Ford SOLD their interest in Cummins a few years ago. All they ever had was 10%. Ford salesmen are so jealous of Dodge, they won't let the rumor die. Like I said, I will double check tomorrow and make any corrections if I am wrong.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I went to the Ford web site and I was wrong on some of my earlier post. You cannot get anything but the 6.0 in the 450 and 550. The 6.0 is the standard engine in the 650 and up, but you can order the Cat or a 5.9 Cummins.

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Don't know how many people saw BADFORD's latest posting. Sounds like he has a dealer that took care of him. Me, I just bought a 2005 6.0 with 8k on it (wrecked truck). We'll see how it works in the 03. From what 2 different dealers told me, only the dash hookup may be a problem. The way I go about things, this shouldn't cost me more than it's worth. At least not much more I hope.

tootall

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I feel compelled to put in my two cents about the 6.L.I have owned my 03 since it was new.I pull a 30ft americamp fith wheel that wieghs approx 8,000lbs I have been to Florida,Smokie Mts,Yellowsone,and a lots of trips in Mi.And have very few problems with it.Am pretty happy!I have owned Chevys before and they are a nice truck.But I am a happy Ford owner.Have a great day

tootall

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I feel compelled to put in my two cents about the 6.L.I have owned my 03 since it was new.I pull a 30ft americamp fith wheel that wieghs approx 8,000lbs I have been to Florida,Smokie Mts,Yellowsone,and a lots of trips in Mi.And have very few problems with it.Am pretty happy!I have owned Chevys before and they are a nice truck.But I am a happy Ford owner.Have a great day

tootall

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I feel compelled to put in my two cents about the 6.L.I have owned my 03 since it was new.I pull a 30ft americamp fith wheel that wieghs approx 8,000lbs I have been to Florida,Smokie Mts,Yellowsone,and a lots of trips in Mi.And have very few problems with it.Am pretty happy!I have owned Chevys before and they are a nice truck.But I am a happy Ford owner.Have a great day :) :laugh:

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Yours must of been built after May of 03. I'd recommend you take a trip to Las Vegas. You my friend are lucky. I sincerely hope you continue to have good luck with your 6.0. I've always been a Ford man, but my 03 has me reconsidering.

jed

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Heres my story. 2006 Dodge 3500 CTD 14000 miles. Dropped off at dealership coughing and sputtering. Was told I had contaminated fuel, water in fuel light never came on. Told all 6 injectors were bad because of the water. Could not link the truck running badly to a certain fill up but the station i go to has had no complaints. They charged 5500.00 for cleaning out the fuel tank, 6 injectors and labour. I guess this isnt just a Ford issue, I have heard of some other newer Dodges with this issue.

Randy Paul

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Had a 97 3500 4 years ago for 2 until it caught on fire and burnt up. It had 300,000 miles on it. Weak transmissions. I pull a 48' gooseneck and haul freight. Replaced it with a 2004 Ford F 450 6.0. Mistake!!!!!! At 44,000 had to have new motor due to over heating. Down for 9 Nine weeks!!!!!. At 67,000 miles had to have all new cooling sytem. Down for 4 days. At 97,000 miles had to have new heads and egr cooler. Down for four days. At 137,000 had to have new injectors cost $3600. I change oil every 5000 miles, fuel filters every 30,000, flush trany every 30,000 miles and run Lucas diesel additive. I now have 157,000 miles. Sorry to hear that all you guys have problems. I will never have another Ford. Probably go back to Dodge (don't like their weak tranny). Ford tranny and rearend are great. May even go to a Business Clas Freightliner with a 300 hp Mercedes with 850 ft lbs of torque. I am also buying the wife a Jeep Liberty with an Izuzu 4 cycliner diesel. If the American made product can't build a good truck, at least they should stand behind it for repairs. I have never in life had to deal with anyone as bad as the Ford dealer reps in Detroit. They didn't care that I used my truck for business and that it was down for 12 weeks in a little over a year for repairs. I can honestly see why the the Big Three (maybe not Dodge) are going broke. I will never have another Ford product. I have saved all documentation for references with the headaches I went through with FordMotorComapny. Never again. Thanks for listening. Good luck with what ever type of diesel you purchase and Please do your homework. Randy

dsl4us

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

There is a shop in Montana that does Cummins engine swaps. One of there latest projects was a new F550 Ford 6.0L PSD. Pulled that engine and replaced with a Cummins. The Ford had the chassis/brakes/GVW they wanted but not the power plant, so out it went.

dsl4us

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

quote:Was told I had contaminated fuel, water in fuel light never came on. Told all 6 injectors were bad because of the water.

What was their response to why the factory fuel/water filtration system failed, and what did they do to repair malfunction?