Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

candi

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I have a 2005 F-250 with the 6.0....so far no loss of power at any time even pulling my travel trailer, but when the air conditioner is running and you stop for a little while and go to take off again it sounds like someone has turned on a wet vac under my hood...overpowers the diesel sound...after the truck gets going and shifts out all the way it stops....has anyone else had this problem?
Also are all these problems you are talking about happening with the 05's as well...I see most are the 03's and 04's?
Candi

scunged

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Lets face it, Ford had a better idea! But in doing so they've over-engineered themselves. Now they are faced with plant closures due to waining sales (which includes paying off the employees because they can't provide them a living any more, and GOD knows they have had it rough),a product that is so controversial that they can't even make up excuses fast enough. An economy that has all of the auto makers scrambling to save you pennies on gas. Ford is in over their head, and they are in complete denial mode, from the service rep all the way to the top. We're F%&*$$ , NEXT STEP??? CLASS ACTION!!! Meanwhile, my dealer tells me that he replaces "about one fuel tank per week,but Ford does not feel that they have a problem with the tanks so it won't be covered. WOW !!!! That takes balls..

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Class Action, count me in. Spoke with an attorney about it, he said I'd win hands down but it would cost 8k to 15k and could take up to 5 years. I'd get my fees back plus whatever settlement was reached. This 6.0 will cost Ford the heavy pickup truck market leadership and I don't think they'll ever recover.

diesel

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

At 5,000 miles I had to have the rear main seal changed in my 05 F350
6.0 diesel. That took almost a week. I now have 21,000 miles and only
nine months of ownership and the cab was lifted off the truck to pull
the motor and change yet an other oil seal. The dealer has had my truck two weeks and counting. Any thoughts on should I keep it or make
ford buy it back. any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks, Diesel

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

The Lemon Law requires 3 repairs of the same thing. 3 turbos, 3 of the same seals, etc. It also has to be in the first 18 months of ownership. I have never heard of taking the cab off to change engine seal..... I do know the 6.0 is a modular engine. The bottom half of the block is bolted to the top half. If that seal starts leaking, and thousands have, they pull the engine to fix. But the CAB?????????????

diesel

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

The dealer where I took the truck dosen't have the crane type picker so ford has them pull the cab off the truck to get to the motor. this truck is an F350 crew cab. No Lie!

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

First off ,thanks to greg7.3. Secondly, they had to remove the cab to replace the engine in my F350 crew cab 6.0. Total labor charge was for 26 hours which I really didn't think was to bad. Mines an 03 and I had an 05 (out of wreck) with 8k put in. Some said it wouldn't work (other dealers) but it's been 3 months and seems to run fine. Down side is, it's still a 6.0.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Wow, just never heard of that. Cannot understand something: If a dealer has the equipment to remove the cab, why can't he remove the engine? I know it takes a hoist, but removing the cab requires some sort of lifting equipment. Must be one of Fords so called better ideas, but they have not used that ad for a few years now.........

vortechf150

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Well guys, i bought a 6.0 F350 FX4 Crew Cab March 12th of 2006, at 1400 miles, the truck would not start, turned over fine, but wouldn't crank, had it towed to shop, replaced oil pump, about $1600 worth of things charged to Ford, well March 3rd, 2740 miles, truck did the same thing, no start. after couple of hours, it started, next morning, took into ford place, and it still sits there in the lot, starts for them, sends no codes across, and on the 5th, another truck came in with the same problem, they are baffled as to what to do to it, they have ran several tests, and found nothing. said that they would be calling ford tech line in the morning (8th) to ask them, what should i do, this is the first truck i have ever bought new, been saving for years to buy one to keep from paying enormous monthly notes, now i am subject to drive an '06 Ford 2-door F150, while paying for the 1-ton. I should have waited, not really happy with the 6.0, and the gas mileage sucks. guess i have to wait and see?

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

If at all possible I'd get my money back from the dealer and go to a Dodge or Chevy dealer. You are only seeing the tip of the iceberg!

threefoot

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

This is my first post. I WISH I had looked and found this forum BEFORE I bought my 2003 F250 SD 6.0 TD! However now I am in the club and stuck.

This may be a bit long winded but I want to give a history of my problems and the fixes to maybe help someone who may read this.

I bought the truck in June of 2005 with 30,000 miles on it, RAN GREAT! I now have 60,000 miles on the truck. In the fall of 2005 I started having problems with no power. Tried to accelerate and RPM's would go up but VERY little increase in speed, puffs of smoke but no power. At times white smoke would cloud and still not much happen. I started at that time searching on-line for forums and found one that had a posting of a same problem and a user quick fix. Basically the fix was after the truck started, shut it off and re-start. At that time it actually seemed to quick-fix the problem. All the power seemed to be there after the re-start.

Back in about March of 2006 I got a letter from Ford about a voluntary recall on the EGR sensor (or something like that, don't have the paper in front of me). In my reading the symptoms that were a result of the faulty sensor seemed to match those which I was having. About April 1, 2006 I had the vehicle into the dealer for the recall fix. As soon as I got the vehicle back, the same symptoms were there only this time it was 100% of the time. No quick-fix. Just made it worse. Trust me, don't dare pull out into traffic without plenty of room to get up to speed.

Finally on 5/3/06 I was able to get the truck back to the dealer for them to work on. TODAY 5/17/06 I finally got the truck back from the dealer. They spent two weeks trying to figure out what was wrong. I HATE their approach with customers, and they have lousy customer service and VERY POOR follow-up.

After the initial diagnostics they said the turbo was bad and that they had to replace it.

Replaced and installed:
TurboCharger: Asy 3C3Z 6K682 BARM
Core Charge: 3C3Z 6K682 BARM-C : 3C3Z 6K682 BARM

That did not fix the problem, said it was something electrical. Spent the next week and a half double checking ground wires, sensors etc. Still can't find the problem.

Replaced and installed:
Sensor Asy 3L3Z 12B579 AB,
Sensor Asy 2L1Z 9F479 AA,
Sensor Asy F8UZ 12A644 AA,
Adaptor 3C3Z 6K854 DA, &
Gasket 3C3Z6N640 AA.

I don't know exactly what each of the sensors were but one of them was a Barometric Pressure Sensor. They finally had to get a Field Technicial/Engineer to come in and look at it along with 4 other vehicles that day they could not fix.

The last thing they said was that they found a build-up of soot in the exhaust smoke stack due to a small crack in the exhaust flex pipe. This they said caused impropper exhaust back-pressure and was not properly feeding the turbo. Yesterday they replaced the flex pipe (Adaptor 3C3Z 6K854 DA & Gasket 3C3Z 6N640 AA). Of course they did not call me yesterday that the fix worked and to tell me that the truck was ready to be picked up. I had to make my daily 3rd call at 5pm for a follow up. The person I talked to said, oh yeah your truck is all ready to go. Apparently had it was ready a couple of hours earlier but no one could find time in their busy schedule to call me to tell me. So two weeks later the problem SEEMS to be fixed at least temporarily ...

Hope this helps someone!

EUROFUEL

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

WELL,I BOUGHT AN 05 F-350 CREW,LAST JUNE I HAD ONLY 3600 MILES ON IT
FOR 11 MONTHS,AFTER FLASHING THE COMPUTER MPG WENT TO CRAP,THE DEALER
TOLD US THE TRUCK NEEDS 30000 MILES TO BREAK IN,
LAST SUNDAY WE WENT TO LOOK AT A CHEV DURAMAX 06,AND ENDED UP BUYING IT,I JUST DIDNOT WANT TO TAKE A CHANCE AFTER READING ALL THIS BAD STUFF ABOUT THE 6.0-S.I STILL LIKE THE FORDS INTERIOR MUCH BETTER
THAN THE CHEV,BUT THE RIDE,NOISE,HANDLING SEEMS BETTER ON THE CHEV,
I HATE THE 245/75/16 TIRES SO THEY WILL HAVE TO GO.
LES

MichaelM

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I feel for you guys. I try to tell my buds to stay away from that engine. But it seems Ford guy are the most brand loyal people in the world. I own a diesel, heavy truck shop. But I won't touch one of those things. The VT-365s in Internationals have some problems, but nothing like the 6.0s. I can't understand why. The first one I had come in had a bad sensor. Ford sent me some tech instructions. First thing they want you to do on most any job is start by removing cab.
My shop is an International dealership. My tech service won't even discuss that engine in a Ford. And I drive a Dodge with the Cummins, if that means anything. Ford wanted that engine before International thought the engine was ready. Ford screwed International on the v-6.
International was getting alot of their engine parts made here in the USA, but are now being made in China. SO the problems are about to get worse. This makes me upset in several ways, one being my brother in law is an engineer at a company that was making some of these parts that was moved to China. They are still making Cat parts here though.
Anyways a new engine is on the way. Twin turbo, can't recall the cube size right now. And I don't know when it will be released. Dodge is coming out with a bigger engine too. First it will be in the bigger trucks.
To stand up for the engine makers. It is the EPA causing all these problems. They are forcing diesel engine makers to conform to laws that are just not practical yet. The engine makers have to make these less effiecent to meet these standards. As well as add all the things that are failing. DT-466 that would start below zero without aid now have to have block heaters, oil pan heaters, intake heaters and thinner oil to start at 30 degrees.
I can go on forever about this. Bottom line is, EPA is making the engines less effecient, burn more fuel, cost more to build and buy, and cost of maintaining it way higher.

MichaelM

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

About warrenty denials over modifications. I don't care if you have a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. The chances are good you will get your warrenty denied for programmers or boxes.
But first of all it starts at your dealer. A dealer willing to work with you and keep selling you trucks may over look stuff. But even then his hands may end up tied, if they have to hook up to the OEM.
I can't remember the name of the law some have mentioned. I want to say Massy Fergoson,LOL. Anyways that law only works if you or your brother is a lawyer. Otherwise it is alot of time and lawyer fees. With a good chance of losing. The law was intended to keep OEMs from requiring you to buy their parts to keep a warrenty. It was not intended to protect us from modifing our trucks. Then add in the fact that we are making changes on EPA certified engines and we lose.
I do run Edge products on my trucks. Love them. Runs better and better fuel mileage. But I expect Dodge will void my warrenty if they catch it.
To defend the OEMs. They pay out a ton of money on warrenty repairs. SO they are going to do what ever they can to protect them selfs. Also since the amount they pay in warrenty repairs costs them that money, they will raise the price of future trucks to recover from it. So is beating the OEMs out of that warrenty when you mod your truck fair to the guy who plays by the rules and has to pay more for his next truck?

SKWILDMAN1

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

GOTTA LOVE IT "FOUND ON ROAD DEAD", 6.0 L TRUCK . I HAVE A 2004 F250 CREW CAB 4WD 6.0L TURBO DIESEL, WITH 34,000 MILES ON IT , ITS BEEN AT THE DEALERSHIP ON AVERAGE EVERY OTHER MONTH ! 3 NEW TURBOS,TURBO INTAKE PIPE (BLEW OFF @200 MILES) REAR MAIN SEAL @18,000, 3 INJECTORS ,ALL INJECTOR SEALS, HEAD GASKETS @22,000 , HEAD STUDS, INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS, COOLANT TANK AND CAP, REFLASHED COMPUTER (NOT SURE HOW MANY TIMES THEY DID THAT ) TRANSMISSION SLIPPING, REAR END SHUTTER ON TAKE OFF, VACUUM PUMP CONSTANTLY RUNNING,CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, THROTTLE STUCK WIDE OPEN, AND WARPED BRAKE ROTORS @20,000 MILES. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT I BEAT THE HELL OUT OF MY TRUCK TO GIVE FORD AN EXCUSE NOT WANTING TO DEAL WITH THIS , BUT THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS , THE TRUCK IS IN PRESTINE CONDITION, SERVICED AT ALL INTERVALS BY FORD. MOST OF THE TIME THE EXCUSE IS "WE CAN'T DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM" OR "WE CAN'T FIND THE LEAK" OR ITS NOT SHOWING ANY CODE IN THE COMPUTER"! THIS TRUCK IS WONDERFUL INSIDE , AND WISH THEY WOULD RECTIFY THE MOTOR/TRANSMISSION SO IT WOULD BE LIKE THE 7.3L . UNTIL THEN, HAPPY DRIVING , AND WATCH OUT FOR THE STUCK THROTTLE, BTW , NO CABLE TO HANG UP , ITS FLY BY WIRE !