Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

SKWILDMAN1

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

COVERED UNDER WARRANTEE, AFTER 9 WEEKS OF THEM NOT KNOWING WHAT WAS WRONG, FIELD ENGINEER CAME OUT , DROVE THE HECK OUT OF THE TRUCK , AND FINALLY THEY GAVE IN AND TORE IT DOWN FINDING BAD GASKETS! MAJOR PAIN IN THE BUTT !

DL Rupper

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Woe is me. Just got back from an extended trip which included a trip to Flathead Lake in Momtana. Would't you quess it. My brother-in-law has a "04" Ford 350 6.0 Power Stroke and has just experienced engine problems. Honest engine. The dealer had a recall on it and put in an updated chip. As soon as he headed out with his big camper on board, he could't make it up the first hill. Being a good brother-in-law I didn't tell him his troubles were just starting and "shoulda bought a Dodge". That would have been bad manners. :clown:

spikebee

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

6 body mount bolts and a couple of harnesses to unplug (besides the things you would normally disconnect to pull the engine) and the cab lifts right off. Sure makes it a heck of a lot easier to get to everything. Ford doesn't recommend it or pay labor for it, but at least you don't lose as much as if you tried to pull the engine with the cab on. I'm the new guy in this forum and I'm a Ford diesel tech. I'll post more I'm sure.

spikebee

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

6 body mount bolts and a couple of harnesses to unplug (besides the things you would normally disconnect to pull the engine) and the cab lifts right off. Sure makes it a heck of a lot easier to get to everything. Ford doesn't recommend it or pay labor for it, but at least you don't lose as much as if you tried to pull the engine with the cab on. I'm the new guy in this forum and I'm a Ford diesel tech. I'll post more I'm sure.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

While visiting family this weekend, my wife's cousin told me of a 6.0's meltdown while in the local dealers shop. After some research, seems like this is happening a lot and Ford is trying to keep it quiet.
The truck had just been serviced and the mechanic was wrapping things up. All of a sudden the engine started picking up RPM's. The mechanic turned the key off and the engine did not stop, then he pulled the fuel pump fuse and it did not stop. He then yelled to every one to RUN! The engine kept speeding up until it blew up! It was a 4x4 and it blew the front supension off the truck. Ford thinks the turbo is blowing a seal and letting oil in the intake and the engine starts running off itself. That is why pulling the fuel pump fuse does not stop it. Luckly no one has been hurt, but at a dealership in New York, one did this and damaged 6 cars nearby including 3 outside when parts went through a block wall. Seems like it only is happening after an oil change and fresh oil is in the turbo.
Guess you guys can't change your oil any more :laugh: .

deathcop

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Well I hear you brother, mine is a 2004 6.0L crew Cab Super duty,77,000miles,mostly hihgway, medium towing. 6 injectors replaced, 1-Turbo Charger( after recall to replace computer stuff or whatever, and deaker service rep, KNEW that failure was iminent after the recall as he had already done three others!, 1-exhaust tube,, 1-EGR,-1-lower radiator hose. I had to pay for that, even though dealer Rep and mecahnic said it was definitely related to injectors and turbo failure, ($450 output) On radiator hose keep close watch, the fabric protecting it from steering pump bolt slid down and :question: heat melted the hose. Well had enough of this, finally wrote to Ford HQ in Michigan, 3 page letter outlining the problems. Well finally got call back, said they know there are serious issues with the engine, but have not come up with a solution., advised me NOT to go over 100,00 miles or warranty would not be good, NO DUH! :8ball: , could not get straight answer from their rep, asked what happens if I am over 100K and you discover problem, well she says if it it not a safety recall, I would have to pay. Well I have taken the alternative, I have written to our state attorney Generals office, asking what can be done, since Ford acknowledges the problem but will not correct, can a Class action suit be filed?,
Dealer Rep said for the amount of money they have charged FMC for warranty repairs I could have had a new engine put in-TWICE! I will keep you updated if the AG office thinks it has merit, IU cannot afford attorney's fees, so maybe out consumer advocate can. I am looking for another vehicle, I would want the durability and long life of a diesel, but would have to do some heavy research before another diesel purchase, or sadly maybe even American made vehicle purchase, the Big three are killing themselves, any suggestion guys? Ladies?

johna

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

There's an attorney is South Carolina who is filing a class action which I've inquired about joining. The main plaintiff is cox moving. You can find them on the web and get the attorneys info.

ckemper

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I have a 2004 6.0 excursion. Been into the dealer 6 times in last 30 days. Has no power until the turbo kicks in at 3000 rpm. Used to kick in a 1500. Tough getting into fast traffic. It drives nothing like the first 31000 miles. It's terrible and the dealer says nothing is wrong and refuses to acknowledge a problem much less fix it. I could not find cox moving in South Carolina. I would love to join the class action suit. Does anyone have anymore info on the attorney?

threefoot

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I have a posting above on this page, check it out, I was having a similar symptom. Ultimately after many other things were replaced with no effect, they found an exhaust leak in the exhaust flex pipe, which was causing inadequate back pressure for the turbo to operate properly. They found it by finding a buildup of soot near the leak. Replaced the flexpipe and that was finally the fix. More detailed info above.

deathcop

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Well glad to see they fixed your exhaust tube before turbo went, BUT make sure they check the turbo good thats what caused my failure and also according to techs the EGR valve ($450) failure of course FORD will not honor it under warranty! Another ineteresting note after finally getting a phone response from customer care in Michigan, the person acknowledged that there are SERIOUS Issues with the 6.0 L diesel, BUT Ford has not come up with a solution to them as yet, when asked if they would honor repairs if a person went over the 100K mileage mark , as I do a lot of driving, she said NO! if you are over the warranty, you have to pay,unless it is a safety recall, then she had audacity to tell me not to drive so much!Well off to call the dealer again for another I am assuming repair job, sputtering and misfiring again, blowing smoke, GEE maybe it's the injectros 7 & 8 , they have not been replaced yet!, sounds just like it did when the others were replaced...... :dead:
Hey when is Toyota coming out with their big trucks!

F350

Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

2004 F350 FX4 DULLEY CREW CAB. 6.0 I GOT THIS TRK.NEW STICKER OF $48,000.AND ONLY HAVE 36,00 MILES ON IT NOW .IT HAS BEEN 2 1/2 YRS.& IT'S BEEN IN FOR REPAIR'S MORE THAN 140 DAY'S SINCE I BOUGHT IT.AND I HAVE ALL THE REPAIR WORK ORDERS ON IT.AT 300 MI.IT STALLS ON INSTERSTATE.OVER AND OVER THAN STOPS RUNNING.IT TOOK FORD 2 DAY'S TO COME & GET IT OFF ROAD.KEPT IT FOR 10 DAY'S REPLACED COMPUTER'S WIREING HARNESS.IT BLEW THE HEAD GASKET'S.THE HEADS HAVE BEEN REPLACED ALLSO.REAR BLOCK STARTED LEAKING OIL.FUEL INJECTORS REPLACED EGR.REAR END LEAKED & STILL DOES.DRIVETRAIN VIRBRATION.BOTH FRONT LOCKING HUB,S REPLACED TWICE.AND IT'S NEVER BEEN OFF ROAD.STERING GEAR BOX,STERING ROD,PITMAN ARM, HAS BEEN REPLACED IT'S BEEN REPROGRAMED.AND TO TAKE THE HEADS OFF THEY HAVE TO TAKE THE CAB OFF THE FRAM.IT'S BEEN OFF TWICE AND ENGIN BEEN PULLED OUT ALSO.ALSO THE INJECTOR WIREING HARNESS HAS BEEN REPLACED.INJECTORS STILL LEAK.HEADS STILL LEAK OIL.HAD IT BACK IN & REPLACED VALVE GASKET'S THAT WERE LEAKING.I'VE NEVER USED THIS FOR A WORK TRUCK.IT DOES NOT HAVE A SCRATCH ON IT.AND I'VE ONLY PULLED A
8500 LB.TRAVEL TRALIER.I,VE NEVER HAD THIS MANY PROBLEM,SWITH ANY OTHER FORD OTHER THAN THIS 6.0 DIESEL.THIS ENGINE KNOCK'S BAD AT START UP'S.AND SOMETIMES EVEN AFTER IT'S HOT,YOU CAN STILL HERE IT KNOCKING AT STOP LIGHT'S LOUD.THE LIST GOES ON.I HAVE ABOUT
50 PAGES OR MORE OF WORK REPAIRED.I DID BUY THE EXTENDED WARRENITY BY FORD FOR $1800.THAT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU GET A RENTIAL CAR PAID FOR.AND EVEN NOW THEN DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR ANY MORE RENTALS.I HAVE BEEN LUCKY THAT 99%OF THE TIME I HAD A RENTAL.I'VE EVEN TRIED TO GET FORD TO GIVE ME ANOTHER TRUCK OR BUY IT BACK BUT CUSTOMER SERVICES SAID NO.THAT'S IF YOU CAN EVEN GET ANYONE TO CALL BACK,THAT ONLY TOOK 2YRS.TO GET A PHONE CALL.AND THE FORD REP WANT CALL BACK.EVERY TIME I TOOK MINE IN THERE WOULD BE OTHERS COMING IN ALL THE TIME WITH PROBLEMS.I'VE SEEN SOME OF THE REPAIR BILLS & BY MY GUEST THEY HAVE ALREADY SPENT OVER $25,000.ON REPAIRS & RENTALS AND STILL CAN,T GET THING'S RIGHT.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Re: Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Ford has a fix for the 6.0 engine, it is coming in the 2007 year model. IT IS A NEW ENGINE! Time will tell if it is any better than the "Fix Or Repair Daily" they have now.

tweety

I am new to this forum and I guess rather unhappy to have to be here. I purchased a 2004 F-250 Super Duty fX4 for my husband for our anniversay June 1st. It is now July 13th and it is at the Ford dealership having the EGR cooler replaced. Should I get rid of this truck now before anything else happens? From what I have read it sounds terrible. When I was researching vehicle specs on places like Edmunds.com you never hear any of this. I wish I would have found this sooner. The only way I did find it was by going to Google once I knew what was wrong with the truck and typing in EGR Cooler. Very frustrated. Any advice

Grandview Trailer Sa

I won't tell you what to do, but I bought 3 Ford Diesels a few years ago. What I tell everyone now is that if there is a Ford parked in my driveway, I have company. IF GM and Dodge go out of business, I will tow with a Toyota.

DL Rupper

RE: Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

I would get rid of the Ford while the gettins good. I'm a dodge advocate, but I think even a Chev would be better than the Ford. Just my opinion. :evil: