Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

tweety

Re: Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Thanks for the advice. I think we are going to start looking when we get it back from the Ford Dealership

spikebee

RE: Ford 6.0 Diesel Problem

Yeah, I said I'd be back, here I am. I started out to defend the 6.0 liter engine, but the truth is I can't do it. Despite the fact that at least 50 percent of the problems that this engine has are the fault of the owner - i.e. overfilling the oil causes about 90% of egr failures, using the crappiest fuel available causes about 50% of injector failures, owning a $50,000 grocery getter/status symbol that is only actually used once a year to tow a load that would easily be handled by a gas engined vehicle is by far the biggest problem with the turbocharger. It does drive me completely insane that the majority of the 6.0's that I service are owned by people with more money than brains and are way too much truck for what they're being used for.
Having got that part off my chest, the sad truth is that the engine was way over-teched to begin with. When the bugs started showing up, the techies got out their laptops and went way beyond anything needed to actually fix the problems and in truth created more problems. Different problems. Although I'm not going to, I could list the actual design problems with each model year 6.0, what they did that actually fixed the problem, what ludicrous crap they did to cause different problems and the problems they created.
To compound the problems, they count on input from un or under trained flat rate technicians to untangle their mess. As I read some of your stories, I can pick out where somebody was throwing parts at your vehicles based on codes they recieved from the computer and had no idea how to decipher. The fact of the matter is that nobody wants to work on the engine due to the fact that it is extremely difficult and Ford pays nothing to those who do. The outcome is that the majority of "techs" who work on your vehicle look for the easiest way out and throw parts at it. Techs like myself, who have a hearty respect for the capabilities of the engine and want to learn how to make them perform to their fullest potential, suffer with a lack of pay and having to clean up after those who do the half assed work.
Basically, I just wanted to say that if you got one of these babies off the line in '03 and got in it and turned the key and beat the living crap out of it, put good fuel in it , kept it serviced at the dealership by a real diesel tech and kept it working hard every day, you'd probably be singing it's praises, because it really could have been an awesome engine. If you own one that runs like a top, keep it and keep treating it the same way you are and enjoy it. If you've got a pile of crap, trade it in '07 and hope for the best. Don't bother suing, all you'll do is make some lawyer a lot richer and get a pitance in return.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I have some questions. If "crappy" fuel is the culpret for many thousands of Ford injectors going out, why doesn't Dodge and GM have the same problem. I know they have some problems, but not to the extent of Ford. Also, what are your customers doing to cause the oil gasket that seals the top and bottom of the engine to leak. I am talking about the one that you have to take the engine out of the truck to replace. It seems like a fairly smart engineer would have known that making an 8 cylinder engine modular, is a design for failure. You have 8 cylinders going up and down, producing LOTS of pressure. Their is just no way a gasket won't leak.

One of my employees has an '03 and he babies it. He has not had many problems. Seems to me, from what I hear from my customers, that if you put the 6.0 to work, you have problems. Those that are babied, and just driven, do seem to a better survival rate.

I will agree that LOTS people who drive big diesel 4x4 trucks, probably don't need them. Ford should be glad they do buy them though, that way they their "factory trained techs." don't have to work on ALL of them.

greg7.3

I agree that a diesel should work and not just run up town, but i for one cant afford two pickups because a ford cant do both. I drive a duramax an 01 with 235,000 miles and a 2006 with 13,000 miles and love both. They both can work,play, and can idle keeping my little dog cool when i am at a auction, glad it can do it. Sorry there is no fix for the 6.0,but ford keeps selling them, must not bother them!

greg7.3

One other thing, were do i get this speical diesel fuel that keeps a 6.0 running so i can tell my freinds that have these turds?

deez

FORD TECH AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU PEOPLE ARE THAT UNHAPPY WITH YOUR VEHICLES GET RID OF THEM.FORD KNOWS THERE ARE ISSUES WITH THE 6 LITER. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE EGR SYSTEM WHICH DOSENT WORK WELL BECAUSE OF THE HIGH CARBON A DIESEL PRODUCES WHICH PLUGS THE EGR COOLER AND VALVE. THE 6 LITER IS STILL A VERY POWERFUL MOTOR. GM AND DODGE ALSO HAVE THERE PROBLEMS, JUST DO SOME INVESTIGATION. A TOYOTA MAY BE RELIABLE BUT NOT CAPABLE OF HEAVY TOWING DO TO WEAK FRAME DESIGNS. ALL AUTO MAKERS HAVE ISSUES, CHOOSE YOUR POISON.

Grandview Trailer Sa

A Ford tech does enjoy job security. For your information, Toyota is getting ready to introduce a full size 3/4 and 1 ton Diesel Dually. It they do it like everything else they do, watch out. After all, they are now #2.By the way, I have never owned a Toyota of any model. I was using that as an example, but who knows what the future will bring...

'03FX4

Drew - 3/31/2006 8:20 PM

I took my 2003 in for the 06e17 recall my truck has aftermarket exhaust an air box, and chip I took the chip off befor I took it to the shop, they did the recall and I pick it up when I pick it up it I pluged my chip in it was reading DTC codes po341 and p1000 I cleared the codes and it was running like s-it I took it back to them and they said it was because I cleared the live memery and that I need to but a stock air box on it to fix the problem. Has any one had this problem and can any one help.

I just recently took my 2003 cc 4x4 in for the 06E17 recall and had the exact same reply from the dealer. I have 118,000 mi on the clock and have an AFE stage II intake and Borla dual exhaust. I have had almost no problems at all and it ran great except for low acceleration until warm up. The dealer said that the recall should fix the problem and it would cost me nothing. When they got it done they called and said that it would not run correctly until I put the factory intake back on it, that it was getting to much air! Now I don't know about you, but when I take a perfectly running vehicle in for a recall and they give it back to me in a nearly non drivable condition there's something wrong.

Erik

Hello, I have an 03 6L with 201,000 miles on it. I deliver RV's for a living. I bought it used with 56,000 miles on it and put 145,000 miles on it this year. After four injectors went out due to poor fuel and an old filter i had 100,000 good miles with no problems. Now it will not start and runs poorly until warm, then it comes to life and makes me money. I hope to get 100,000 more miles but my faith in the motor is week after reading the posts here.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Except for your current problem with starting, I would say you have had pretty good luck with your truck. If your case was the norm, this thread would not exist.

The normal for 6.0 is what is happening in my local dealership. They handle both Ford and GMC here. The manager over both stores tells me that for every ONE Duramax they have to work on, they have 25 Fords. The parent company has Chevrolet and Ford in another city and it is the same there.

Be glad you got a good one.

lensilva

Grandview Trailer Sa - 8/17/2006 10:55 PM

A Ford tech does enjoy job security. For your information, Toyota is getting ready to introduce a full size 3/4 and 1 ton Diesel Dually. It they do it like everything else they do, watch out. After all, they are now #2.By the way, I have never owned a Toyota of any model. I was using that as an example, but who knows what the future will bring...

Toyota has been building medium and heavy trucks for many years. I saw Toyota semis and busses in Nigeria in the mid eighties. Here is one pic I found
http://www.toyotatrucks.co.za/

I don't know what is keeping them from our shores.

Len Silva

Grandview Trailer Sa

I was talking about 3/4 and 1 ton Pickups with a diesel engine. I was at first told they were building them in Tennessee, but recently I was told it was Texas. The new, bigger, Tundra was unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show this week. Tow ratings on that are 10.000lb. I don't know when these new Diesels will hit the market, but they are built in the US.

Grandview Trailer Sa

I heard of a 2006 F-350 Diesel today. While going up a hill, the crankshaft broke. The result was the oil pan was blown off by parts coming out the bottom of the engine, pistons, connecting rods, crank parts and oil. During this, BOTH front tires were cut and the man almost lost complete control.

After this happened, his buddy went and got a GMC Duramax. I am about to sell him a fifth wheel.

emt205

i work for an ambulance serves and we have 2 06s 2 05s and lots of problems form not runing while cold to egr coolers to lost oil presher bad wireing and so on so maby the 6.4 will give ford a good name

DL Rupper

I'm reviving this post for the unwary. My brother-in-law just e-mailed my wife and told her he just sold his 2004 F-250 6.0L Diesel Power Stroke. He said it was the worst truck/vehicle he had ever owned. Broke down every 1,000 or so miles. He bought a new Toyota Tundra 4 x 4. He said "I sold my camper so I don't need a diesel anymore so good riddance to the Ford".

utmtman

IMHO Never been much of a diesel man but my father was a construction vehicle mechanic and worked on all kinds of diesels from all over. I know from his comments over the years ford couldnt find a diesel if GM gave it to them. LOL I was a ford man for cars most all my life and would not have anything else. But after getting ASE certified on vehicles and working on all kinds in college I would prefer dodge first and GM second.

Grandview Trailer Sa

My employee, who has truly had little trouble with his '03 6.0 liter is singing a different tune now. His engine is now blowing BLUE (oil) smoke out his exhaust. It is also not running correctly until hot. I suspect the turbo as far as the blue smoke.

sasfrass

I feel for all of us. Warranty mean nothing in my experiences. We lose every time. If they would make good products in the first place we might be happier people. My husband bought a 2006 350 Ford Diesel Aug. 2006. I think he said 6.4. I have a question: Could anyone tell me how to make Ford pay for our truck rental. Because he needs a truck for work he had to rent one. He is a welder and has to move his welding skid from on truck to another, this not an easy job. Lost two days of work so far. Ford warranty says it only pays $35.00 a day and the truck rental is over $100.00 a day. The dealership(not the one where we bought it) who is fixing the truck told us the warranty for Trucks pays $75.00 per day. I can’t seem to find that information. This is the second time the truck has been in the shop. It’s been in now for over a week and a half and they don’t think it will be done for another week. We’re paying Rental on a truck and big Truck payments. I need some idea’s on what I should do. Thanks sasfrass02@yahoo.ca