FOREST RIVER INC. ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

iresq

RE: FOREST RIVER INC. ISSUES

OK, I am back to squar one. Our camper has been in the shop for about 3 weeks and we were told all was good. I had rained all week here in the Waco, TX area and most of the 3" of rain we got is now in our camper.

What can be done with or to this company? They are building crap and the coustomer is not getting any coustomer service?

I have even went as far as going to the service office in Goshen, ID and had a sit down with their seirvice department. What a total wast of time & money.

I am so upset I can't even sleep over all the problems that we are having with our FR camper.

:blackeye: :disapprove: :blackeye:

dino

Man, am I glad I found ths web site. I was ready to purchase a Georgtown with the bunks, 35ft. I guess I'll look at the Damon Daybreak 3276. Anybody know any good or bad reports on this model?

fishermanmalloy

Re: FOREST RIVER INC. ISSUES

I have a 2001 Forest River Sierra and have just discovered a massive roof leak. According to several other replies, this is an on-going problem. From what I've been told, the travel trailers from 1999 to 2002 have a vinly roof with a wicking underneath the vinyl. The top rails were not sealed at the factory which caused water to seep into the wicking and absorb like a sponge. My roof has water damage about 8" wide from the front to the back on both sides. The ceiling insulation is so wet you can ring it out.

Can anyone who has had the same problem tell me what happened and if they were able to resolve it?

snowidow

We have had no water issues whatsoever.
While I am truly sorry for all yall's troubles with FR, I have to say that we have had EXCELLENT customer service, and they have bent over backwards for us on numerous issues we encountered on our 05 Cardinal 30TS.
It would just be nice if the Quality Control would have been alot better when they built the rig, and on the inspection process before they let it leave the factory to be sold.
I will add that we never YELLED or demanded a new rig.
We were persistently courteous and courteously persistent. ;)

DL Rupper

Hey snowidow, the key as I see it was the "numerous issues". If you had numerous issues there seems to be a problem with the product. We are only trying to steer the unsuspecting buyers away from low quality products.

SnowbirdInFlight

fishermanmalloy - 6/3/2007 5:44 PM I have a 2001 Forest River Sierra and have just discovered a massive roof leak. According to several other replies, this is an on-going problem. From what I've been told, the travel trailers from 1999 to 2002 have a vinly roof with a wicking underneath the vinyl. The top rails were not sealed at the factory which caused water to seep into the wicking and absorb like a sponge. My roof has water damage about 8" wide from the front to the back on both sides. The ceiling insulation is so wet you can ring it out. Can anyone who has had the same problem tell me what happened and if they were able to resolve it?

We have a 2000 Sierra by Forest River and have never had any issues with the roof or anything else for that matter. :)

tiggerboy

We bought a new FR motorhome in 2005 Georgetown SE 37 ft.,we have had
all kinds of things wrong with it. Leaks in all three slides,and windows , it was in the shop
97 days last year. The floor even had to be fixed the flooring started coming up.The coach door had air coming in around it so we took
it back to get it fixed,they took a hammer and a piece of wood and hammered
on the door until they got it so no air was coming in. But the door is bent and
the dead bolt didn't work and the door was coming apart.So we took it back
they fixed the dead bolt and put the door back together,but it's still bent and
it still doesn't want to shut right,the dealer said FR, told them to fix it that way.
The dealer said it was only cosmetic issues now and FR, wouldn't let them fix
the frame where it's really bent,but they are going to put a new door on.
We told the dealer we didn't buy a used motorhome.
They ordered a new door and the wrong one came in,they've had the motorhome 6 weeks this time.Last year when we where having problems
with the floor and slides and ordering parts,I called FR, but didn't get anything out of them.

snowidow

When we first got our rig, it needed two slides adjusted, one requiring it to go back to Indiana. FR reimbursed us for our payments during that time it was gone and extended the warranty. Had problems with the DVD player from the start. The first concertone they replaced had the same problems as the original one, but then FR replaced both with upgrade (LCD TV - newer model concertone and wired it for satellite). Had problems with Day/Night shades, those were corrected by dealer immediately and they gave us a water filter system. Decals were coming loose in spots, those were ordered quickly by our dealer, for the whole rig. Now we have delamination issues related to the manufacturing process. We noticed this about a week before our extended warranty (that was extended even further because of the time it went back to IN) was due to expire. At that time we were getting nervous about the delamination and were thinking of selling it, but we really didn't want to. We looked briefly at other manufacturers, but didn't see anything that would come close to the layout of our Cardinal that we truly love. The interiors, cabinetry, and furniture in the new ones we looked out seemed really cheap and flimsy compared to our Cardinal. For the delamination, FR will come get our rig after our camping season is over to completely replace the sides, and bring it back to our house, even though the warranty was up 5/9/7. They said they will make that right to us somehow, like tires or W/D or something. We will opt for tires when the time comes this fall. All of this was done with minimal effort on our part. We have not had the nightmare scenarios that alot of others have had getting it repaired. I can't even imagine what that would be like. We have a great dealer, and FR has been great to us. We love our Cardinal and want to keep it. In our opinion, for what we can afford, it is a quality rig. We never asked them to replace it with a new one, we just wanted ours fixed the way it should have been in the first place. We are happy with the outcome, and we are extremely happy that FR will make it all right for us. I do not believe that our Cardinal is "low quality" in itself. But we think they really need to slow down a bit and pay attention more when they are building them. That, and the quality control was lacking when it was inspected before it went out of the factory to the dealer. Those are problems that are industry-wide whether you are buying a $100,000 rig, or a $20,000 rig. If we thought that the Cardinal was something that others should stay away from, we would surely let everyone know, but we just don't feel that way at all.

TexasClodhopper

"... even though the warranty was up 5/9/7. They said they will make that right to us somehow ..."

I would truly like to see that happen, but I don't see any company doing something like that AFTER the warranty expiration date!

Sounds like they just put you off, but you never know.

snowidow

No, we will not be put off. We asked for it in writing, and received a certified letter that the work will be done when we are done with our rig for the fall. We simply will need to notify them when we want the rig picked up from our house so that the work can be done.

Kirk

This thread just goes to show that even the lower quality RVs do have at least a few satisfied customers. There are several factors to consider when choosing an RV, or anything else. How often do they have manufacturing problems or design problems? All companies have some, but some companies have far too many. The other issue is, when something does go wrong, what is done about it and how quickly? The real quality manufacturers make it right, no matter what. The poor quality will do only what they feel can not be avoided. One or two satisfied customers is no more indication of a quality manufacturer than one or two unhappy customers mean a company builds all junk. But a long thread where most posts indicate the same point of view is a very strong hint, whether the posts are good or bad. When most tend the same way, it probably means something pretty clear about the product!

Grandview Trailer Sa

Report back to us if and when it happens and tell us of the quality. Good Luck

I just returned from Myrtle Beach with a friend who has a new 2007 Georgetown by FR. HE is thoroughly disgusted and ready to sell it. He just turned 2000 miles, on his way to the beach.

He table has a screw though it and they keep sending the wrong table to the dealer. A cabinet door has a 1/2" crack at the bottom, where the door was installed too high. Been to the dealer three times and they have not fixed. On his trip home, the bathroom wall seperated from the outside wall. That took the dealer over 2 weeks to fix, and he is not pleased with what they did. There are more..........

I don't want to name dealer, but they are in Virginia.

StevenE

We purchased a 2005 FR Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite a few months ago and have had it out a number of times with zero problems. Now, I realized going into the deal that it was an ultra lite and as such some ... "not so quality" ... material was used to keep the wieght down I just keep this in mind.

Steven

rvtech1

There is a device out that all dealers who carry TT & 5th Wheels should carry its called a SealTech machine, It takes about 15 min to hook up & will show you exactly where a water leak is in any rig. If you go to Sealtech.com they have a list of dealers who have this device.
Even if you dont resolved with the Manufaturer its still your rig and i would find a sealtech service center.

Water leaks are structural and always win in court, ground affects,decals,cabinets are cosmetic and never win in court.

I would also suggest folks on this forum who display that they are a "Dealer" and proud of it, better think twice about what you post. These folks are going to be a bit suprised when the Manufacturer's lawyer who they are flaming goes after them. Its happened before.

DL Rupper

Just got my last 30 days worth of mail today and in it was a copy of the Jun edition of the Good Sam Highways magazine. On page 18, ACTION LINE, "Under the Cap" was an article about our favorite subject. It seems that Mr Longstaff was having problems getting FOREST RIVER to fix his 2006 Rockwood TT. He had wheel bearing failure after 8 mos and Forest River tried to tell him they needed service every 6 mos so it was his fault, despite the fact the manual said to re-pack them every 12 mos. Then a few weeks later his lower-front-right side of the trailer started coming apart. Then he discovered screws missing under his cap. He had the missing screws replaced by the dealer and Forest River voided his warranty because they claimed it put too much stress on the cap.

Sounds like a manufacturer run amuck.

ARCHER

Gosh, everybody, what I don't understand is this is going on and on and on and on and how in the world does a manufacturer like that stay in business? I must be missing something here. If they are so bad, why are they still building them and why are dealers selling them?/????? :blackeye:

SnowbirdInFlight

Possibly it depends on the year FR made the TT. As I said my 2000 model has given us no problem at all. Of course the ones they made since Katrina are probably not as well made because they were pushed out so fast to keep up with FEMA. I'm sure it hasn't just affected FR either.

DL Rupper

I think one of the reasons they are still in business is their Trailers look really good and they usually sell for less $$$ than their competitors. They look and sound like a good deal. Human nature takes over. I guess every now and then they build one that stays together. I also think one of the previous threads mentions that they were bought/sold not to long ago. That may be why the newer ones are having so many problems. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.