FOREST RIVER INC. ISSUES

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowbirdInFlight

Re: FOREST RIVER INC. ISSUES

6TOGO - 6/28/2008 9:06 PM
fishermanmalloy - 6/3/2007 6:44 PM I have a 2001 Forest River Sierra and have just discovered a massive roof leak. According to several other replies, this is an on-going problem. From what I've been told, the travel trailers from 1999 to 2002 have a vinly roof with a wicking underneath the vinyl. The top rails were not sealed at the factory which caused water to seep into the wicking and absorb like a sponge. My roof has water damage about 8" wide from the front to the back on both sides. The ceiling insulation is so wet you can ring it out. Can anyone who has had the same problem tell me what happened and if they were able to resolve it?
I saw some buckled panels today and decided to saw 2' of ceiling away from the wall above the slide out. I was sickened by what I saw. 12" to 18" from the outer wall up the ceiling the whole length of the main compartment was wet. The insulation was soaked. The main ceiling beams are glue laminated particle board and are all soaked like a sponge full of water. The outside gutters are clear. There is no clear indication of how the water was getting the area wet until I read this post. This 30' FR sandpiper was my first trailer and will be my last. You should have seen the look on the faces of the kids when I told them our 4th of July camping trip was off for now until I can find another camper to borrow or rent. Thousands of dollars in possible repairs could not come at a worse time. :(

Well, I have a 2000 FR Sierra (built in 1999) that has been great for us. We have had no problems with it since we bought it. I think it might be the year it was made. After Katrina I think the quality of trailers went down. Not just FR but all models.

We have had no problems with ours except for the natural wear and tear on the material on the furniture.

Grandview Trailer Sa

We had a Cardinal come in today that needed a new awning. Delamination was all over this trailer. If the window was taken out of one of the slideouts, the fiberglass would fall off.

We also worked on a Wildcat that had been backed into something. We fixed the hole, but delamination was all over that one also.

JGS

SnowbirdInFlight, you can consider yourself very lucky. I have a 2002 Cardinal with a leak from the back roof corner all the way to the floor boards in my kitchen. Cost of repairs are going to be $4 to $5,000.00. I sure hadn't bargained for that.

campers4u

I have not posted on this thread because i have not ran into a issue with F.R. now i am a new RV dealer (3Years) but have worked for many dealers before starting mine, none handled F.R. , when starting i looked at some F.R. product but the rep. was very pushy and I had to order to many ,would have only been able to handle one line, The only one that wanted to work with me was Gulf Stream, they cut there stocking numbers down so i could handle there Gulf Breeze line and the Kingsport line, one of my first customers brother bought a flagstaff at about the same time ( cant get them all) he brought his unit in for some service work, its out of warranty, I could not belive the unit was 3 years old and it looked like bubble wrapping down the side and he wanted me to fix it,,,, he said it had a few spots on it when he bought it but the dealer said it would go away when it got warmer? It didnt , now that its out of warranty the dealer wont touch it. I told him to get ahold of F.R. and see what can be done, that was 60 to 90 days ago, no call back yet,,, I do feal bad for him and i know he wont get taken care of plus he has 9 more years of payments on this unit

all i can say is spend your money wisely

6TOGO

I would like to make a suggestion to those reading this thread so they do not have to suffer the loss and trouble I have been through.
Find a home inspector with a FLIR camera. Have the inspection done every year and think of the bill as an insurance payment. Long term water damage is not covered by insurance. The FLIR camera report will show hidden moisture, mold and any possible water leaks before there is any evidence. You then can arm yourself with this report to try and get service while you may still be under warranty.
http://www.flirthermography.com/industries/industry/1010/

I am going to keep mine parked under large old oak trees and hope the weather will take care of it. ;)

SnowbirdInFlight

C Nash - 7/23/2008 9:03 PM Snowbird, how did you get Canada and the USA under you signature?

I have a graphics program, COREL, that I use for photo manipulation. I take the two jpgs and layer them together, add the blue background and the text. Viola! LOL, I know, easy for me to say. If you want to email me your two graphics I can put yours together also, along with any text you want.

send to njljcl-1@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.