Freezer cold, fridge warm

skizzy

We have a 1999 gulfstream we took out for the first time since we got it last month. We found that the freezer gets extremely cold but the fridge is warm. I looked at the Dometic web site and searched some trouble shooting tips. It seems that we may have to replace the cooling unit. Does anyone know how much that costs?? I cant seem to find any info on pricing.

Gary B

Hi skizzy, welcome to the forum, cooling unit run about $560.00 plus shipping and tax. It can vary from rebuilder to rebuilder and mfg. You can check with www.rvmobile.com they sell cooling units and have an excellent troubleshooting page. Good luck
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

skizzy

Thanks! That is pretty expensive, I hope that isnt it, we'll have it checked out.

Will Daniels

Skizzy; A unit that new should not be acting that way. Sounds to me like it is way out of level. Check it again. Good Luck.

turnipbwc

If I was spending that much money to replace the cooling unit I would just replace the frige and save the old one for parts.

C Nash

If the freezer is getting as cold as it is supposed to I would think the unit is ok. Is there a control for the lower part? Does it perform the same on propane or electric? Ck the flue for obstructions.

Poppa

If it is a top of the line model some have two controls one for the freezer and one for the frig.

Kirk

Your 99 regrigerator should not be bad, even though it could be. I would check with a thermometer to see just what the inside temperature is for both the freezer and the cool box. I would not expect the freezer to be as cold as it should, but ......... Is there any smell of ammonia or any yellow powder in the rear of the unit inside the access panel? Or is the ammonia smell inside of the refrigerator. Those are indications of a loss of coolant, so we will hope that isn't there. A plugged cooling coil might cause what you have. If that is the case, sometimes it can be corrected by removing the refrigerator and turning it upside down for a few hours, then reinstall. If there is some crystalization of the ammonia that might clear it, and if you are lucky, stay that way. Keep us all posted on this one as it is an unusual problem?

skizzy

Thanks Kirk, we are going to work on some of these tips this weekend and we'll keep you posted...we dont have any ammonia smell at all so sounds like that is a good sign that its not bad. I hope we dont have to remove it, but I guess thats better than paying for a new one!!