Fresh Water Leak

n5246h

On a recent trip, we found that our bedroom floor was repeatedly getting wet. We established that the water was coming from the fresh water system and avoided the problem for the remainder of the trip by carrying our water in jugs. Now that we are home, I would like to repair the problem before our next trip.

The plumbing seems to run under the floor, but is not accessible from under the motorhome. Do I need to tear up the flooring to get to the problem, or it there some way to access this area?

Pillaz

RE: Fresh Water Leak

Is your bathroom in your MH right next to your bedroom? Is the Hot water heater located close by to the leaK? More info would be helpful.
Hey welcome to the forum. You will get great advise here

ARCHER

Re: Fresh Water Leak

Welcome. You should have access to any and all water connections. Some of the plastic grey pipes will go inside a wall but come out again to another connection. they don't build them to make you tear up the floor for repairs of this type.Sometimes the lines are behind sliding drawers, under beds, under sinks, under tubs, under refrigerators, etc. I just know you should be able to find the leak without dismantling the MH
As such, you should be able to determine where the leak is coming from by hooking up water at home and then go out and check each of the connections. I would think it just might be a loose connection or worse case, if it went thru winter time without winterizing it might be a cracked plastic pipe.check all your connections to bathroom fixtures, then hot water tank connections. Good luck ;)

G

I agree with Archer ,, but can i ask this??? where is u'r city water connection?? is it close to where u are having the leak??? if so ,, u may just have a bad or loose connection on that point ,, as archer said ,, most of the plumbing ,, well ,,, fitting's are servicable ,, the major piping is done with no fittings (usally) ,, but most fittings are where u can get at them one way or another ,, and also welcome to the forums ;) :approve: :) :) :)

n5246h

Thanks for the advice. Here is some additional info:

- The water system was winteried last fall by putting antifreeze in the lines at the pump and draining the fresh water tank.

- The wet spot in the carpet is out in the middle of the room, not near either wall or any water fixtures.

- In addition to the wet spot on the floor, some water dripped into one of the "basement" storage areas that is located several feet aft of the pump (not under the wet spot on the carpet).

- The carpet seems to get wet whether I am hooked up to city water or using the pump.

- The city water connection is on the drivers side.

- The fresh tank and pump are on the passenger side about three feet away from the spot where the carpet gets wet.

- Most of the water fixtures and the water heater are on the drivers side. The only fixture on the passenger side is the shower.

- Just prior to this trip, I replaced the pump. That is located inside a cabinet behind some drawers. Since this was a recent change, it was my first suspect when problems came up. (I did have some leaky connections at first, which I needed to go back and tighten.) However, the carpet between the pump and the wet area remained dry. All of the connections related to this change are located within that cabinet. I fastened the new pump to the floor with drywall screws, so one theory is that I hit a water line under the floor with a screw. However, that is not the location that is getting wet.

If water is leaking into the area between the floor and the exterior floor structure, might it come up somewhere away from the leak point, like between plywood boards?

If the problem is in a water line that runs from one side of the RV to the other, should I be able to replace this line by pulling a new line through from one end somehow?

ARCHER

I would think you could run a new pipe if you determine that is the problem. I think you will need to still go line by line while there is water pressure on the lines to determine where the leak may be. I don't think you want to start just removing pipes and replacing them arbitrarily. You may need to just take it in the have it repaired as a last resort. Sure do need to fix it as water damage is the biggest issue in TT/MH/5ers/etc. Sorry can't seem to think of much more to help ya right now. ;) :(

G

i know this might sound stupid to u ,, but is u'r a/c unit in that area ,, and if it's a roof unit ,, the condensate might be dripping down ,, to the spot on the carpet ,, i know i am reaching here ,, but without actually seeing it in person it's hard to help u out ,, but were not giving up on u ,,, usally and i say USALLY ,, most manufacts.. run the water lines all on one side or another ,, and use the ends of u'r rv to cross over ,, but i have seen some that do cross over in the middle of the unit ,, but very few ,,, i wish i could come out and ck it out for u ,, i use a smoke machine that i use to find roof leaks ,, but i have pumped the smoke into some water lines to find leaks such as u'rs ,, i would do as Archer says ,, keep it under pressure and keep digging ,, u might have to drill a good size hole in u'r basement area ,, where the leak is coming thru there ,, to see if there is a water line there or not ,, keep us posted :approve: ;) :) :) :)

n5246h

I think we can rule out the air conditioner. When the problem occured, I stopped using the fresh water system and the wet spot gradually dried up. We continued using the air conditioner for the remainder of the vacation (Southwest US - we used it a lot).

G

ok well there is one to scrtch off the list ,,, ;) ,, u might have a pipe that got frozen at one time or another ,, but kinda strange that it's in the location u mentioned ,, but u never know what the rv manuf.. do ,,, btw is this rv new or did u buy it used ,, u may have posted the model and stuff ,, but i'd like to get a new start on u'r prob ,,,, ... ;) :approve: :approve: :approve:

n5246h

Thanks for your efforts in helping me solve my problem.

The RV is a 2001 Shasta Cheyenne. I bought it used in 2005.