FRONT DISC BRAKES

ARCHER

My Class A only has 9,200 miles on it (1989 Winnebago). When I get in stop and go traffic, I get a squeal that will get worse as they get hotter and then be fine once I am back on the open road to cool them down. Brakes seem to work just fine, just squeal when hot.
Since it only has such few miles, my thoughts are to try and rough up the pads with course sandpaper and use the same pads until they need replacement for wear.
Is this a sound plan or perhaps they may be glazed to the extent they just need replacing. I've been told to sand them to remove the glaze.
I want to be safe, but I don't want to replace them, if they don't really need it. Could be this is normal for my vehicle?
If you folks suggest I replace them, what is the best brand brake pad?
Need some guidance here, please. :dead:

C Nash

FRONT DISC BRAKES

Archer, sand them and if you have a swirl sander sand the rotors a little. Go to a local parts store and get some anti squeel to put on the back side not the pad side although, I have used a spray that you actually sprayed on the pad and had real good results with. Senior moment though can't remember the name :dead:

PS. Have you headed back north yet?

ARCHER

FRONT DISC BRAKES

Chelse,
Thanks for the info. Now, I just have to figure out how to remove them (for sanding). Was that fine sandpaper on the calipers or the pads or both and black paper??
We are heading home around the 6th of April for the summer. Had a great winter down in the Sunshine State. :cool:

C Nash

FRONT DISC BRAKES

Pads and rotors Archer. Be a good time to pack the w/bearings while the rotors are off. As long as the pads have plenty of wear left they should give you no problem to wait until you get home to do the work. Squeal was a problem with replacement pads. The squeal is actually a viberation or so the engineers always told us. Be sure the pads are tight in the calipars.
Good to hear your winter was great.