Fuel costs!!

LEN

Has anyone been using the Pilot station/truck stops for fuel? I did fuel yesterday at one and saw several in the NW(OR and Wash) in the last two weeks. Saved about 20 cents a gallon and being truck stop fueling the bigger rigs have no problem. Best price I saw in OR was $4.09 at a Pilot on 97, 30 or so miles south of Bend OR on the west side and $4.33 I-5 a few miles south of Olympia Wa MP 99.

LEN

vanole

Re: Fuel costs!!

Len,

Have used them a few times here on east coast along with Petro and Flying J. About a year ago I got a Quarles Q card and and there are about 85 other fuel orgs that are part of this fuel network to include the two I mentioned in this e-mail. Don't have to worry about my card working or shutting off at a specific dollar limit. Bill me monthly when I buy fuel

Here in Va Beach at the Quarles card lock yesterday diesel was 3.97.

V/R
Jeff

utmtman

There is a Pilot on I40 between Holbrook and Winslow, Az that according to their price sign is the highest price for gas along the interstate.

H2H1

Hey Len we used Flying J and a truck stop called LOVE,s truck stop. I had a problem with my Flying J card the first time I used it but now it is OK. But mostly I used my visa and will pay it off when we get home and start all over again when we head out to Destin Fl next month. :laugh: :bleh:

hotelconucc93

I use both the Quarles Card and Watchcard here in VA for work purposes. Do they or Wright Express do personal accounts for better fuel rates?

DL Rupper

I like Pilot because I can usually get my rig into the car diesel pumps. I hate the big rig trucker pumps because the big fat high output nozzles on the truck islands get stuck in my pickup fuel receiver. :eek:

utmtman

I think its about stopped. It seems to be leveling off. Or at least it has slowed down from daily price changes to one a week or once every other week or so.

DL Rupper

Lordy now Congress is trying to pass a windfall profit bill to tax the oil industry. That will surely make the price of fuel go down. I'm sure the tax won't be added/passed on to the price of gas/diesel at the pump. :(

G

Also ,, DL did u see where the big oil companies met with the saudi's ,, and (them said) they would not up production ,, and also they don't under stand why the prices are so high ,, now go figure that one :dead: :blackeye: :angry: :eek: :) :)

raskal

"course they don't know why the price here is so high ... they only pay about $0.28 per gallon there and $0.06 in Kuwait!

ARCHER

Well, having read all this stuff about the price of gas/dies, I think it is time for all of us to just buy horses and starting riding them to work, vacation, play, dates, movies, etc. Bet the price of the go juice would come down real quick if we "all" DID THAT. Of course, the price of wheat/straw would become extremely high.
What do ya think team??? :bleh:

Shadow

I'm all for that Mike. But then congress would pass a windfall tax on my hay profits!! :dead:

krautdog

I was surfing through the channels last night and saw Carl Rove on the faux news network, he was explaining how the oil companies are not making big profits on gas, that compared to other industries, the oil companies profits are quite low. Interesting considering that I heard earlier this year that several of the big oil companies had record profits last year. We camp in Amish country and I think the whole horse, buggy thing might not be a bad idea. I wonder how many horses I'll need to pull my 25 footer though.

Cheers!

elkhartjim

Hey Butch...you in the hay business? Going through Hearn the other day saw a hay for sale sign. last years hay $30/ roll this years hay $80/roll. I just cut mine on halves...hope we get enough to pay for fertilize, cutting and bailing and then hauling. My hay is horse quality so we square bale. Last year it was $7/bale...probably will be 10-12 this year.
Oh..and Krautdog...what Carl Rove said is the oil companies made on average 8% profit...that's not as much as Lowe's or Home Depot did...percentage wise. Wasn't long ago you could make that in a passbook savings account risk free. Oh yeah..some of the hi tech companies made 15-22%. All people hear are the dollars.

TexasClodhopper

If you are in business, then you know there's a difference between GROSS PROFIT and NET PROFIT. It's a good sound bite to quote GROSS PROFIT without considering all of the investment that the PROFIT bought.

If you sell all your hay for a $4 PROFIT without buying a new tractor or bailer every once in a while, you will be out of the hay business.

Don't fall for the sound bites, please.

Shadow

Jim come get all the squares you want. Folks around here will pay $8.00 a bale at the feed store. But I can't get $4.00 a bale out of the field. Same quality as the feed store. Pretty dry here. May have to break out the irrigation pipe.

G

well for my hay ,, yr before last a big round bale was going for 20 bucks a bale ,, last yr ,, with the drought ,, they hit 50 bucks ,, and near winter they were up to 110 bucks ,,, i am doing good so far this yr ,, on the second cut of alfalfa ,, and soon to be on the second cut of timothy grass ,, last yr 1 cutting of alf ,, and almost 2 on Tim grass ,, so we'll see ,, and as u said jim ,,, fertilizer hit the roof this yr ,, but i don't sell hay ,, i use it for the cows ,, but if i have enough left over (that is not for winter feeding) then i sell it ,, last yr i just bearly made it thru the winter ,, on the yr before and last yr's crop ,, but since it was kinda warm this winter ,, the fields didn't die ,, and the cows could eat some of it ,, but the drought ruined the alf ,, had to redisc the field an replant

krautdog

All this talk of profits has me thinking. I work at a brewery and we give away the spent grain to a local farmer who comes in a couple of times a week, I think he feeds his hogs or horses or something. Now I'm wondering if we should be selling this stuff. I'm a city boy so I don't know too much about feeding livestock and such. We just figured it was better to have someone take the spent grain for free instead of paying to have it removed in our dumpster. By the way, I apologize for totally navigating this thread away from it's original subject.

Cheers!