Fuel going up again!!!!!!!!

RV_Living

Hey everyone, we were looking at ways to improve our fuel mileage on our coach and truck when hauling our 5th wheel. Anyone have any good advice?

RV_Living

RE: Fuel going up again!!!!!!!!

We are trying that but it seems I have to climb the mountain so I can coast down the other side not entirely too efficient!

RV_Living

We are trying that but it seems I have to climb the mountain so I can coast down the other side not entirely too efficient!

Steve H

Checking the DIC on my Chevy D/A, it makes a big difference if I keep the speed down to 60 or so on the highway. Above 70 and mileage really drops! I don't tow at 70 but my truck is my only transportation so I do drive those speeds on the freeway.

PS Diesel is $3.89 this morning!

DL Rupper

Re: Fuel going up again!!!!!!!!

I drive a Dodge Cummins Diesel. That helps. :approve: Diesel is $3.67/gal in North Florida.

Dodge diesel smoke smells good. Did I say that before. I can't remember. :clown: :laugh:

Steve H

DL Rupper - 2/28/2008 12:14 PM I drive a Dodge Cummins Diesel. That helps. :approve: Diesel is $3.67/gal in North Florida. Dodge diesel smoke smells good. Did I say that before. I can't remember. :clown: :laugh:

I admit...my Dodge CTD got better mileage than my Chevy but I will never go back:laugh: $3.89 this morning!:eek:

Darn...how do you get those little faces to show up?

H2H1

HEY STEVE I found I get the best mpg when it's sitting still in the garage:laugh: gas has gone up quite a bit in last 2 weeks I just cut back on work I go in 3 days aweek now also on the emoticons just double click on the one you want, but make sure your curser is where you want it to go.

marstrings

I just worked out that it cost me $7.63/US gallon last time I filled up at the petrol station. Lucky for you guys that was in the UK! (£1.02 per litre)

I while back I thought the cost worked out at $9 per gallon, but I had forgotten that US gallons are smaller than UK gallons. It's still a big difference though.

To answer the question, I guess the general thing to try to do is don't carry unnecessary weight and drive with a light foot. For a while now, European trucks usually have wind deflectors on top of the cabs to direct the air over the top of the load, rather than have the container push through the air by brute force. This apparently saves a fair amount of fuel. Do US trucks have these fitted? And can you get something similar for an RV?

I'm sorry this is slightly off topic, but is there a guide anywhere that lists official fuel consumption figures for makes and models of motorhomes? Born Free who we're buying a second hand unit from, were rather vague when I asked about fuel economy, though they say that the design of the front surfaces of their vehicles is aerodynamically efficient compared to most class Cs.

Martin.

RV_Living

Thanks for all the info guys. I have been looking into different devices and products but I am pretty wary of these things!

rjf7g

My Dad spent 30+ years driving a cab over White Freightliner and pulling pot pies and honey buns behind him. Every year, he and I bought Mom's Christmas present at Sears because Dad had received the "Best Fuel Mileage Award" for his branch and it always came with a gift certificate to Sears. Dad got the air foil as soon as they became available to the drivers and he drives like he has no brakes..."Why burn so much fuel to speed up so you can slam on your brakes? I can get there as fast as you and burn half the fuel and my brakes and tires will last longer."

I read the term "Drive like you have no brakes" in a magazine article about saving gas yesterday and thought - that's what Dad says! He also says I drive like a big city cabbie...but, I am working on the no brake thing!

Buckeye Chuck

I like the "no brake" saying. That makes a lot of sense to me. I try to plan ahead and start to coast as soon as possible when approaching stop lights and toll booths etc. Tire high tire pressure and low speed also help conserve fuel. When I'm not towing I burn E85.

-BC-

tallyo

If we all would stop , open all the basement doors and toss out every 4th item , we could reduce weigh immeasurably.
Then of course the highways would be full of litter,,,,,,,,,,,no wait, why don't we all meet on the side of the road somewhere near Amarillo, Tx . We could have a garage sale, split the proceeds and then we would have a few extra bucks for fuel or beer??

H2H1

hey Frank heading that way in May, sounds like a great idea, but as for as the proceeds I vote for the beer as I hear it hot in Texas

RV_Living

rjf7g - 2/29/2008 3:34 AM

My Dad spent 30+ years driving a cab over White Freightliner and pulling pot pies and honey buns behind him. Every year, he and I bought Mom's Christmas present at Sears because Dad had received the "Best Fuel Mileage Award" for his branch and it always came with a gift certificate to Sears. Dad got the air foil as soon as they became available to the drivers and he drives like he has no brakes..."Why burn so much fuel to speed up so you can slam on your brakes? I can get there as fast as you and burn half the fuel and my brakes and tires will last longer."

I read the term "Drive like you have no brakes" in a magazine article about saving gas yesterday and thought - that's what Dad says! He also says I drive like a big city cabbie...but, I am working on the no brake thing!

Great Stuff RJF. I appreciate the feedback very much and will make a point of it when we head out next week and see what kind of results we get and let you know!

elkhartjim

I just had 250 gallons of "off road" diesel delivered for farm use. For those that don't know, off road diesel is not taxed like "regular" diesel is. $3.25041/gal. Two weeks ago I bought off road for $2.73. Go figure. And no, I can't use it in my MH, it contains a red dye and if your caught...oh my goodness. Lets just say the fine would have alowed me to pay probably $5.00 a gallon for several years.

rjf7g

By the way, Dad also got the "safe driving" turkeys that they gave out at Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. He is a great man and a highly skilled driver. He produced two engineers (a civil engineer and a computer engineer) and an educational administrator (me) because he had the notion that if he broke his back, we wouldn't have to break ours. He loves coming to my office and to my campsite! He doesn't care much for the boat!

My college spending money was earned by him betting other drivers he could back their rigs in to holes they were refusing to try to get in to and other tricks like this. Those other drivers had no idea what this boy who grew up driving coal trucks through the hills of WVa could do with an 18 wheeler.

utmtman

We reduced our speed to 55-60 and our gas mileage went up by 1 - 1 1/2 mpg. We also stay longer in locations and workamp as often as possible for the free campsite. Also look for cheapest rv park price, cheapest gas price, and easiest and shortest route to destination. Makes all the difference in the world.

DL Rupper

We just moved 200 miles today towing the 5er. The Fords and Chevs blew by me, trying to impress, at 70 to 75 miles/hr as I was tooling along in 6th gear at barely above idle speed for the Dodge Cummins (60 to 65 miles/hr). I guess they just like to buy diesel fuel and tires.

I don't think the air deflectors due much to help mileage when towing 5er's. Everything I've read on their use has been fairly negative. Most drivers that have used them claim they got as good or better mileage without them. The aerodynamics just don't seem to benefit the 5th wheels.

Shadow

DL, think they were all just trying to get upwind from Ya. You know how intoxicating those Dodge Diesel Fumes can be. :laugh: Man, took over a hundred bucks to fill the truck today. And had a quarter of a tank. :eek: