Fuel going up again!!!!!!!!

virginiarvers

Re: Fuel going up again!!!!!!!!

I am new to this chat room stuff, so please bear with me...I am looking for some feed back on the Blue Ox Sports Carriers II, its used to haul golf carts behind a 5th wheel...any feedback would be appreciated. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ONE.

rjf7g

Jan and David-
Welcome to the forum. Since this request for help is buried in another thread, it may get missed by some people who might be able to help. I suggest you click on the New Thread button (up top, right beside the Reply button) and title your thread "Blue Ox Sports Carriers" or "Hauling a Golf Cart Behind a 5th Wheel".

RV_Living

Well I know those Diesel Fumes can be pretty bad. I installed a InterCharger on my Chevy and the exhaust now smells like I am burning propane. It is really strange but it is working out pretty good so far.

DL Rupper

Hey Rv_Living, The GM diesel smoke will never smell good like a DODGE CUMMINS Diesel. :laugh: :laugh: You have to start with a Cummins. That Japanese Isuzu designed diesel just isn't the same. :approve:

Don't take offence, this is just a standing joke about how good MY Dodge diesel smoke smells. :bleh:

Shadow, tell him you were just kidding. We all know the Ford and Chevy owners had their windows up, or they would have "stopped to smell the roses" or slowed down to smell Dodge diesel smoke. ;)

DL Rupper

SHOCK!!!!!!! I just filled up with diesel today. $97 for 26.985 gallons of fuel. That's the closest I've ever come to exceeding $100 to fill up a standard truck sized truck fuel tank.

If the tank had of been empty, It would have cost $126.50 to fill. Ouch, ouch, ouch :eek: :eek: :eek:

C Nash

I know what you are talking about DL. I don't let the MH go under a half because of the cost of filling a empty tank. Know it makes no difference but if I am empty you are talking 200+ to fill. Bad enough to have to put in 70 at a time. Just read an article where the independent truckers are really hurting and it's sad because that is their living. One trucker from Tenn. said he had spent 64000.oo for fuel in the last 8 months. His earnings had droped from 50,000 to 11,000 last year. most everything we use is brought to us by a trucker so I feel for them.

DL Rupper

Hey Chelse, glad my tank is only 35 gallons. I have to fill more often, but the shock isn't quite as big.

Seems to me that oil companies could expand their refinery capabilities for diesel. I know diesel is cheaper to refine than gas, so the only reason I can see for diesel to cost more than gas is inadequate refinery capacity. :( This is not good for the cost of ALL products that are transported by truckers. The cost will be passed on to the consumers. :eek: We need more refineries and more oil exploration in the US.

Oh, well I'd better shut up or we will get all the environmentalist's jumping on board with their Gore inspired opinions. Last I heard it's going to be Global Cooling again. The Earth actually cooled last year. Glad this thread has a connection to RVing or I'd be in TROUBLE. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'll just keep on paying the higher cost of diesel so I can keep RVing. What else can I do? ;)

RV_Living

Watch out.....All the common sense might offend someone! Considering the Oil companies posted record earnings the past few years and the reason they are raised prices is due to a "PROJECTED" shortage based on "POSSIBLE" issues so that they could fund more oil exploration and expanding refining while also funding project for alternative fuels. I am sure the those companies are working overtime on these problems that still have not arrived in between all the vacation time and bonuses they are receiving. I say we set up a decentralized network of people producing BIO Diesel throughout the country and make the market more competitive!

DL Rupper

I know lets grow more corn so the price of wheat and all other food keeps going up. That will work well. We all know why we can't explore for more oil (Drill in Alaska) or build more oil refineries in the US. It has nothing to do with the oil companies. Nobody seemed to care about how much they made or lost when oil was selling for $10 a barrel.

Gee, I knew better too. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

TexasClodhopper

Steve, I don't mean to sound like I'm jumping on you personally, you're from California. If you will work on your state laws, we'll have another whole offshore industry to supply the country. It's real easy to bad mouth profits, when your state is always saying, "Not in my pristene wilderness!"

Go ahead and invest in those "bio" fuels. (You are investing, aren't you?) You'll find out how far the petroleum industry is out in front of the bio nuts, too, in making a "clean" product. It isn't just the end result that you have to watch for, it's all that has to be done to get to that end.

You're starting to find out right now that all the bio stuff is producing MORE harmful stuff than petroleum products ever will. Wait until you have to spend MORE $$$$ on your cars so their exhaust works on bio fuels AND petroleum products. It takes MORE energy to convert bio products to useable forms than petroleum EVER will. You just wait. We're going to find out that the "bio" stuff is just a media fad like global warming is.

At least the petroleum products aren't taking away from the food chain. It's a specious argument, because there is PLENTY of petroleum if we just go and get it.

PS. RV RV RV RV RV RV

DL Rupper

RV,RV,RV!!! Tex you must be from Texas. :laugh: ;) Couldn't agree more.

elkhartjim

Okay
Tex...they've done done it. If we could just drillo of the coast of Ca it would help our position so much. No. Might get a little oil on thier pristine beaches. I know that eventually the "big one" (earthguake) will come and the state will slowy slide into the ocean. Think of what thats going to do to their "pristine" beaches. I recently cruised out of Galveston, TX and the oil platforms are every where. You know, Texas can suceed! My two cents.

RV_Living

I think I was misunderstood, As a business owner I have no problem with profits or the use or advocation of Petroleum Products. I was born here in California so I am not sure it was by choice but I do understand your view point. I am not a big fan of E85 ethanol or many other alternative fuels as a solution to our current situation and agree the side effects of those fuels have not been evaluated properly, most have higher NOx emissions the diesel and still have carbon compents. My comment to Bio-Diesel was made more as a illustration of a point (bio-diesel is made from used oils primarily and many people throughout the US manufacture it at home). We currently have a huge supply of crude oil but the rise in price has been directly linked to market place fears regarding availability or stability of that supply. The same people arguing they don't want drilling in there states are the same people advocating against actions to ensure the stability and availability of the supply, leaving me confused (so we can't ensure proper control over resources we are being forced to purchase outside of our country because you don't want us expanding the procurement of that resource in our own country, what should we do?)

So my point was simply Bio-Diesel is incredibly inexpensive and simply to procure and refine and works in most diesel vehicles as is. While the price of fuel will undoubtedly rise it was an illustration of how the customers could keep the market place more competitive driving companies to become more efficient in the delivery of services causing the inflation in price to be less aggressive.

So my comment does not advocate using any products from our food chain or the reduction of fossil based fuels. Only the fact that we can force a change to make business more effective, case in point, Wal-Mart when they boycotted Visa for 30 days for ever changing the credit service charge on businesses.

TexasClodhopper

Steve, I'm glad to hear your points about supply and marketplace fears, and that you are a businessman. I certainly don't want you to think that my arguing these points is meant to reflect on you.

We're not confused like some are. Here in Texas the only thing that has created more confusion is the influx of voters from the north and south and east and west. ;)

Here's the other thing about "Bio-Diesel" that "is made from used oils primarily and many people throughout the US manufacture it at home." My neighbor related the story about a neighbor of a friend of his that collects 55 gallon drums of "bio" from Kentucky Fried and one other greasy joint. ;) He's got 10 drums now! This guy bought a "refinery" to make fuel for his truck. He's totally out of control.

The neighbors don't even know the fire / explosion risk that is next door. And after all the regulatory hoohaa on diesel fuel (we even make new engines now $$$$$$), who's to say what comes out of the tailpipes of these "bio" trucks?

And we should encourage this "incredibly inexpensive and simply[sic] to procure and refine and works in most diesel vehicles" adhoc refining industry to keep the big 'oil companies' in line in the marketplace?

The main argument over here in the Houston area (Baytown, Texas City, etc.) is the proximity of the refineries to residential neighborhoods that have grown up around them. And now we're going to put a refinery (to affect the marketplace) in every other house down the block?

And this is progress?

PS. RV RV RV RV RV RV FUEL COSTS RV RV RV RV

DL Rupper

Florida and not California is the State that needs a poke in their eye or #$& over drilling off shore. Cuba is drilling 50 miles off our coast and Florida says we can't drill 40/50 miles off their shores. No we would rather let Cuba using Russian technology steal all the oil off our shores. California at least has rigs off of Santa Barbara. Hasn't hurt them. I thought the States were supposed to be for the common good of all US residents.

Of course the ultra libs won't let them put wind turbines/mills off the EAST coast shores either. We can't spoil the views in Martha's Vineyard or off Cape Cod. Oh, no. Talk about hypocrites. Thank goodness for Texas and Oklahoma patriots.

TexasClodhopper

Oh, there are a bunch of states that 'step up to the plate' and manage their resources for the common good and local coffers! I often wonder what some people think it's like 'in the oilfields' of Texas. What? You wouldn't know you were in an 'oilfield' even if someone pointed one out! You can see some places on Google maps where there was a concentration of drilling in one area, but you don't see much on the ground!

Good grief! Do some of ya'll think we walk around ankle-deep in muck and mud? Been watchin' a lot of Hollywood movies? :laugh:

PattieAM

All the old advice comes to mind - keep the engine in top form (oil changes/tune ups) to help with gas mileage. The 'drive slower' or 'like you have no brakes' is also an excellent way to increase mpg. (Remember when the speed limits were reduced back in the 1970's?)

With the increased gasoline prices, we will see increases in costs of goods and services, so those on a fixed income may need to do a budget review - increase insurance deductibles, etc.

With prudent budgeting, and common sense, hopefully we won't have to change our travel lifestyles too much.

RV_Living

I don't think we need to shut down any refineries in this process, just become more efficient. There is risk associated with refining bio diesel but it is far less dangerous then moonshining. But I do not think it would be a long term solution just a way to force competion in the market place for a very compressed amount of time..

C Nash

Been in Texas for going on 5 weeks now and aint seen one of them oil wells like John Wayne put the fires out on yet :laugh: . Where is the goo and mud Tex? Just great scenery :approve: . WOW, snowing here in FT Davis today. Dang this global warming. When in Alaska and all the way up through the Brooks range to Artic most animals were near the oil wells and the surronding area was well cared for.