Fuel ,water, fuel guage

lui

Hello all, I am a new RV owner with an old RV. E350 ford 460 1992 class C coachman leprechaun.
My fuel gauge does not work so I have no idea how big the fuel tank is. No one seems to know. Need help with gauge and tank size. Then the rear anti lock brake light is always on. We made our first trip to the beach and got good MPG around 9. I filled up every 100 miles cos I do not know how big the tank is. When we got there I found out that the fresh water hook up is per the diagram, But the old man had modified the tank so that it has two over flow pipes on top. Therefore once it is full it just overflows. That means I had to use the pumpall the time, and fill the tank on a daily basis or when needed. The only other water outlet we could find was in the panel below the gen in the sewer gray black tank release area. In there is a faucet for an outside shower.
Can anyone explain that one? Why would he make his tank so that it will never connect to a pressurised system. Wierd.
By the way I am from UK so be paitent in your replies, I am new to all of this. The old RV worked great, so did all the stuff on board. We had a blast and have thus far used a pull behind camper. Now we have a motor YEAH, But I would like to get the fuel tank capacity and make the gauge work, plus get rid of the rear antilock light.
Thanks in advance for all those who will try to help me.
All the best and look out beaches and NASCAR cos here we come.
Lui :blackeye:

brodavid

Re: Fuel ,water, fuel guage

Welcome to the forum Lui,
Coachman RV site says (the 2009 model Leprechaun) that the fuel cap is 55 gals which means that you should travel over 490 miles before empty.
But you should never run it to low, if you ever had an need to go somewhere then you would not have enough fuel.

C Nash

Welcome to the forum
(The only other water outlet we could find was in the panel below the gen in the sewer gray black tank release area)
Sounds like this may be a tank flush system

(the rear anti lock brake light is always on)
Probably a sensor on the rear wheel bad or wire. Need to have this checked for safety reasons.

(I found out that the fresh water hook up is per the diagram)
Is there not a valve to switch from tank to shore water?

LEN

Unless I read wrong your water is working like it should. If you are hooked to shore water there is a valve to allow this source for the RV, then the other option is to fill the water tank and then use the pump when you want water. If it doesn't work this way then the owner may have done something. I use the water tank and pump all the time even hooked up to shore water, that way if I get a leak it will only be minor unless I leave the pump on all the time.

LEN

lui

Wow Thanks guys. My RV is a 92 so the tank is smaller than the new ones. I still have no idea what it holds. And yes I can hook up to shore water but the tank just fills and then over flows due to the two pipes at the top of the tank. They just run down the side and vent when the tank is full. Any one any idea about my fuel gauge? Thanks again you bunch of mighty RVers :blackeye:

C Nash

No way of telling on the fuel guage w/o testing. Could be the guage, sending unit or wires. Where does it register? full, empty or just in between? How about talking with the previous owner about the water? Still think there should be a valve to switch between tank fill and and direct from shore . If it's just straight into the fresh tank your only option is to fill the tank and cut the shore supply off. There is no automatic shut off when the fresh tank is full. Maybe I'm reading something wrong.

lui

No Mr Nash you are correct. At the very top of the holding tank are two pipes. So when the tank gets full the water just over flows. The line in is either open or closed. There is no other valve. The tank is new and the work in that area is all new. So who did it was a bone head. The previous owner lives in Florida which is Miles from where I live in NC. I have no contact with him. The tank reads empty. I will try and get to the connectors and check the ground wire Etc. I think I will end having to redo the water system. Since yesterday I have had a friend come and look at the system and he just shook his head, much like all the older RVers at the beach.
Thanks again. I still have to find out what size fuel tank is on my RV. :cool:

C Nash

John, sure sounds like a redo is the ony way to get it operating properly. Oh,leave the Mr off and most call me Nash because the first name is hard to get. Getting to the sender will probably be hard because most are on top but maybe you'll have room to det to it. Can't remember right off but a quick check was to remove the sender wire and the guage would either go to full or empty. Brain just can't remember anymore. Rod will probably know if he reads this. Does your temp guage work? Some off the older Fords usad a little gizmo that controled both.

G

U'r right nash ,, if u ground the sending unit wire ,, it should go to full ,, if the diode in the cluster is working ,, or no wiring probs ,, or the cluster is anygood ..many things to sort out on this prob ,,, but one other thing on the water ,,, is the original poster ,, sure he has the hose hooked to the city water outlet ,, i know on alot of older ones the tank fill was a hose connection, just like the city water connection ,,, it has to have a city water hook up ,,, they had them even way back in the 60's ,, but i may be wrong on this unit ,, :approve: :)

lui

OK OK you all win. I am going to get a plumber out here to look at this mess of a tank.
I know you are all convined that I am not seeing this, SO I have also convinced my self that I need to bring in the big guns. I can see what you can not see, my advantage.
However since you have all been doing this much longer than I!!! I guess that is your advantage. So this little British bull dog will roll over and get help.
I do declare you are a bunch of stuborn old buggers, ( my southern impression) I will let you know what Mr plumber finds out.
I Will also follow your leads on the tank issue. I looked today and it is going to be hard to get underneath the RV to work on the top of the tank.
Which BTW looks to be about a 40 gallon, I will take some measurements and calculate the aproximate volume.
Thanks again for all your very much appriciated input.
Gosh I really love my RV, never again will I pull a camper.
Big smiles
Lui :) :) :) :)

LEN

Is this the type that has an in tank fuel pump? If it is it may be one that will have a fuel pump failure at one time or another(I was just reading about this). Some who needed to replace the fuel pump cut a hole in the floor where they needed to and built a trap door for the pump replacement and if this unit is of those years it may be easier to cut and make the trap door to access the gauge so if the fuel pump goes your already half way home.

LEN

lui

Yeah I can also cut a whole in the roof to get to the A/C when I need a bigger one, Ha ha. Well gents and Nash. Water problem fixed. My plumber sat there for ten long mins eyeing the baby and making Tut Tut noises. The guys had plumbed a line in -incorrectly and had formed a closed loop. Within a matter of mins work with a screw driver and a bit of hose swaping, I had water running from the city without the pump.Running under it,s own pressure. However a nice warning from Mr Plumber to put a valve on the inlet side due to differences in water pressure from one place to the next.
A lot of new RVs have push on hoses wich can leak if the line pressure in is too high.
Fuel Tank size. Problem solved. I got underneath and put a tape measure to the darn thing. Did the math, It looks like I have around a 40 gallon tank
Fuel gauge. I found the ground wire it is held to the frame with a self tapping screw. I will clean this and redo it. There are also two bunches of cables with connectors. I will try and clean these with contact cleaner. Not a lot of room under there. the rear anti brake light goes out when I start the motor but comes back on later. We found no rubbing or binding when we took the load off the rear end. I discovered that my spare underneath the camper is in excellent shape. It still has the label taped to the tire. I also now know why it makes sense to use tire covers. I have placed an order for mine.
I am nopw going to take out the slide curtain which is the privicy curtain between the gally and the bed room. I am going to put a sliding door in there. All the goods are waiting for me to begin. Also found a great site on Ebay that sells new decals dirt dirt cheap.
Gents thank you so much for your support and help. I will now become a regular visitor. If only to chat to you gents.
TKS MILLIONS,
Lui

C Nash

Glad you got the water problem solved Lui. You will need a pressure regulater. You can purchase one that fits on the supply faucet which will also protect the water hose. Sounds like you are having fun doing the repairs. Keep the sprit and hang around. Great site and loads of FREE info here. Just support all the sponsers of RVUSA.

TexasClodhopper

Glad you are learning like the rest of us have and are still doing!

Quite a few folks would like to know the link to that "site on Ebay that sells new decals dirt dirt cheap."

LEN

Ok end of advise!!! I gave you an answer DO A SEARCH YOU KNOW "GOOGLE" and you will be enlightened.

Have fun

LEN

lui

I will post the seller info wednesday night when I check out the info. I bought two L/R Nascar decals for a steal. These are 4 ft by 6"
I got some fancy art work decals for the side of the camper to spruce it up for less than 35 bucks. Two 24 and 48 decals 12X12 for 12 bucks, and the biggest checkered flag decal which covers the whole rear end of the camper for another steal. I will share all this info Wed evening when I check the sellers names. The squegee kit you can buy from lowes for about $6 at the window mirror section where they sell energy saving film which you apply to your windows. But it works great with decals. The alcohol you can get at family dollar.
Good gosh I have only had the beast for two weeks and already she looks ten years younger, Wish to the good Lord I did.
Well Mr Texas Clodhopper I guess I will never be president of the usa. But I have stood along side my american fellow service men and flown many a joint mission over the sandbox with them. Hell for my first 9 yrs a had the pleaure of flying the F4. Best darn view a back seater can get.
Then they had to spoil it all be giving us hese new fangled multi role birds.
Told my son thats the way life is. You find a comfortsble seat and someone just wants to make it faster and better. I still enjoyed the armchair ride in my F4
Ya,ll take care.
Lui

Take care all Lui :) :cool:

lui

Hello all.
Here are the names of sellers on EBay who have cheap new decals and other very good and cheap RV stuff.
Decals: schonesigns, Rented (site wreckless designs) , plum264. tcardenas20
Reversing camera with 7.5" screen full wireles (I have one) wrightbuy1.
RV Sealer and other stuff. Vintek ( Vintek RV vintage trailer supplies.
Hope this helps. Word of advise a lot of these RV deal sites are often only offering one side decals Ie left side only. Beware.
Talk to ya,ll soon
Lui

C Nash

Lui, did you fly any missions over the sandbox with any F4s out of Birmingham Alabama?

lui

Sorry for the delay Nash Been Rving.
No I was In the RAF and had already been through conversion school to fly the Tornado's by the time D/S started. I like many of the older navigators / weapons /navs loved the F4. She was smelly and built like a brick shi*house. Her systems were old but gold. The darn bang seat was a back breaker if you did not get the lumbar pack just right. But she could still manage to pounce on a mouse. And I proved it by getting up the pipes of many a F16 in those fragile moments of 10 miles out to land.
They just took my cosy chair away and replaced it with a back massager. Gosh those were the days. Yawn Yawn. All is well with the RV she's now got some of them there fancy wheel covers and all systems work well. I need to get some 2 X 8 to make some levelers. Apart from that I LOVE IT.
Wife just wants a small LCD TV for the bedroom. And she is a happy camper.
I did put the door into the bedroom instead of that old raggy curtain. Big improvement.
Ya,ll take care and once again thanks for all the advise (LEN) Think I will cut a hole in the floor just to keep him happy. I am serious he was right about the fuel tank. Guess my dry sense of brit humour may have upset him. (Sorry)
Byeeeeee and I will keep reading.
Lui