Full time prepping for winter

Pigman87

Hello all
My name is butch I am new to RVing and my family and I are going to be RVing full time for the next 5 yrs right now we are in southern California but are moving to mid Colorado I was wondering what you all reccomended us to do to try to keep the chill out in the winter it gets down to about (-5'f) not including the regular 25-50mph winds?
Thanks
We have a 2013 jayco eagle 31.5

JCZ

Skirt it. You can get the custom made skirts or make your own out of bales of hay, plywood......anything to seal off the bottom of the trailer. It makes a big difference.

LEN

Like was said skirting and insulated skirting at that, then heat lamps under the RV in the coldest of times. Good heat in the RV, maybe a couple electric heaters to help the furnace, plus xtra sealing of the slides to cut down on air flow. Heated black and gray tank areas and a heated water supply hose.

LEN

Pigman87

Thanks for all info I was thinking about putting sand bags as a skirt, but new seals on slide n heaters underneath is a great idea now I have to start doing some home work.
When u say heated black n grey tanks you mean putting a heat lamp underneath them?

LEN

There is more than one way to skin a cat. A heater or heat lamps, the tank heaters that are attached to the tanks(like heat pads) or a vent from the RV's furnace. The skirting I have seen that worked rather well was the Styrofoam with foil on one side like at home depot and as permanent as you will be painted plywood on the exposed surface, that way it will look good too, and not too many $$$.

LEN

TXiceman

Don't use hay bails. Two problems:
1. There is a definite fire hazard.
2. Little critters looking fro a nice warm winter home think the hay is just fro them. And the RV is nice and warm, so they move in.

Easy to cut and use is the foil backed foam board from a building supply store.

Ken

JamesTheMan

Pigman87;83714 said:
Hello all
My name is butch I am new to RVing and my best buy gift card glitch family and I are going to be RVing full time for the next 5 yrs right now we are in southern California but are moving to mid Colorado I was wondering what you all reccomended us to do to try to keep the chill out in the winter it gets down to about (-5'f) not including the regular 25-50mph winds?
Thanks
We have a 2013 jayco eagle 31.5

Colorado is wonderful in the summer but the winters can get pretty nasty. When they have a snow storm the drifts can get pretty high.

DL Rupper

When it gets really cold, use a roll of reflective 24" or 36" x 1/4" thick insulation (Lowe's) and fit it to all your windows. It gets a little claustrophobic but stays much warmer. A small 1500 watt space heater helps.

H2H1

Hello long missed friend. So good to have your wisdom back here. Don't be so long in your great comments.