Full time RV. Is it feasible for me?

darbykidd

Hi Everyone. I'm brand new to RVing and I don't know much at all. I'm looking to save money on rent. I've come up with a plan. Buy an older class A for around 5-6000 and put it on the 12 month interest free credit card. I would pay it off in 12 months or so and then I would own it. My question is just how much of a hassle and how much cost am I looking at for daily or weekly expenses. I'm a single professional who would be going to work 5 days a week. I can live pretty frugally as far as power and water goes. I am hoping to also find free places to park and then maybe once a week at most go to an RV site with hookups to do what I need. Thanks for any and all advice.

DL Rupper

Re: Full time RV. Is it feasible for me?

Hey darbykidd, welcome to the forum. If you find any places to park free let me know. I spend about $700 plus every month to park my RV. Seriously, most Cities, parks, neighborhoods have laws and ordinances against randomly parking RV's. Even if you find a free place to park occasionally you will need a source of electricity to run your appliances, charge your batteries, etc. This can get expensive if you run a generator for the electricity. You will also need water every 3 or 4 days to fill your fresh water tank. Then you need to dump your holding tanks. Most RV parks now charge about $10/dump. Your best bet would be to find a Mobile Home/trailer park that will rent you a site for $250/month plus electricity.

The next little problem you might encounter is finding a Class A Motorhome that runs and is livable for around $6,000. Most likely you will need to spend at least $20,000 for one. They start out new for $100,000. Actually it's hard to find a decent automobile for $6,000. :(

Living full-time in an RV can be accomplished for a reasonable price, but it's not much cheaper than renting an apt.

Kirk

I can't even imagine finding any class A for $6000 that one could use for for fulltime living. Have you any idea of what motorhomes cost today? I would expect that for the price you suggest you would have to go to one that is near 20 years old and in very poor condition.

The next part is, where would you expect to park this RV for free and be able to live in it there? It is true that you could probably spend a few nights in a parking lot and then move to an RV park for a night, but what do you plan to do for electricity? You do not say where you live but with fuel prices what they are the use of a generator for power isn't very practical for running an air conditioner for very long and if you are in cold country you might freeze in the effort to survive the winter.

To be at all practical, you need to start with a budget of at least $20K and that is still very low.

pipelinemama

RE: Full time RV. Is it feasible for me?

be careful what you buy! it can turn into a money pit. you also have to consider if you are going to go for the cheapest places are they also SAFE places. husband is at an rv park now with his work that has a lot of break-ins in the area. he makes sure to never leave anything outside or in the back of his truck.

H2H1

pipelinemama I would tell the DH to move. I don't think I could saty in RV PARK with all that going on. If you don't mind , tell us the name of the park , this way we want make the mistake and booking there. thanks

pipelinemama

it's one down south of port arthur texas by a convnience store out in the middle of nowhere before you get to holly beach, don't know the name of it i'll have to ask him when i talk to him. he's been at this one for a couple of weeks, hasn't been a breakin of a camper but a house and the convenience store were both robbed at night in a matter of days. spots are pretty hard to come by down there if you have slideouts, i think these slots were mostly made before so many people went to buying these! he has another spot he can get in about a week. that is a good idea to share that info on here, could save some trouble later for someone!

Speaking of that kind of stuff, has anyone sifted through the rv insurance companies and come up with a favorite? we've got a policy now, just wondering what people's picks are. thanks! :)

H2H1

well I have GMAC thru Good Sams, I haven't had a claim yet so I really can't say if they are as good as they say in print . DL just had hail damage a few weeks back and Progressive worked wonders for him. I would listen to what other have to say and form your own opinion. good luck