Full timers age?

skirk55

I am 54 years old and my wife and I are looking over the full time lifestyle. Is there any RV people our age doing the work camp life? If so how long and how is it working out? :question: :shy:

utmtman

Re: Full timers age?

Well I have been doing it for some three years now and I am 56 this year. Its been great and I will stick with it for as long as my health allows.

Kirk

We began the work-camping lifestyle more than eight years ago when I was 57 and we continue to do so into the future as far as we can now see. We have friends who began within a year of us who were just 50, and another who was 52. Both of those are still full-time also, although only one of the two is work-camping.

If you wish, I invite you to visit our website ( http://www.adventure.1tree.net/ ) to check out our way of living.

DL Rupper

Well I started full-timing at 51 and I am still full-timing 13 years later, but I didn't do the workamper scene. I Hosted at a Natl Park for 3 mos if that counts. ;)

skirk55

I am getting tired of cutting grass and repairing the house. When my wife and I go to out trailer we keep parked I can not tell you how much we like it. This has us both thinking about hitting the road. My kids are married and have there own lives and we need to just enjoy life before it is too late. We have a 33' travel trailer we are looking at a 38' 5th wheel. This move will take about 1 to 2 years to make it happen.

skirk55

We do not want to get a smaller trailer because when we go from a house to an RV I do not want to be too crammed. My best friend has a 36' Montana and he said do not get anything smaller. I don't mind the length because I have a CDL license and I operate heavy equipment. Can I ask why I should keep the length less? I need all the help we can get.

DL Rupper

Hey skirk55, I'm just a small is good type. Our 31 foot 2 slide 5th wheel gives us plenty of room. However, I was really thinking that with the high COST of fuel the smaller lighter RV will be less costly to tow, but we do move down the road frequently and if you are just planning to move North/South depending on the weather it wouldn't matter much. Actually with the current climate of high fuel costs, you may be able to get a really good deal on a bigger RV. I know the RV manufacturer's are starting to mimic the European's and build smaller lighter Motorhomes.

I was really surprised recently by the weight of my small Ram 2500 Dodge diesel (7250 lbs) truck (reg cab, 4x2) and the weight of my 31 foot 5th wheel (13,000 lbs). I always thought I was running about 18,000 lbs combined weight. My 5th wheel is about 1,000 lbs over recommended weight as is my truck. I've been running this way for 13 years with 2 different Dodge diesels, so I guess I'm not hurting much of anything. :eek:

C Nash

Skirk55, a large rv might have problems getting into some campgrounds so a lot would depend on where you plan on camping. A 38 footer and the truck might get kind of tight in some. Just something else to be aware of.

Paul235

Being a snowbird is also where I see myself & SWMBO in a few years. Being brought up on the east coast has made me appreciate western living especially in an RV. I really like the lack of humidity and much more friendly attitude towards RV's. I can't see us going from RV park to park. I like to wander and stop where I like. RV parks have their place of course but I also like a more independent way of living. I also have to be a realist and think about the day when fulltiming will be much more difficult as we get older. I've been looking at this as a possible best of both worlds:http://www.rvdoctor.com/chalet.html. Has anyone seen anything like this up close? Seems like an alternative in areas not weather friendly to storing RV's. Using it year round sounds like it might be better.

mdoersam

I'm looking for an RV that comes with a desk area? Good counter space? A separate w/d closet? Will I be able to find one in the $60,000 range? I'm new and plan on buying my RV in the early summer or late summer? I also will be living in Canada during the winter months so I will need mine to be able to withstand the cold temperatures. Thanks Mikela, Canada.

Paul235

Try to find somewhere to park it inside of a heated structure. Most units are not built to withstand extreme cold. Most I know that snowmobile in the winter pickle the water system and carry drinking water. Condensation is also a major issue without bringing in outside air with a window or vent partially open. Most likely means using a portable toilet. Its just not an easy thing to do. Google " RV Chalet" for one type of solution. Good Luck!

Kirk

RE: Full timers age?

We have been doing the work-camping thing now for almost nine years.

cactuslovers

RE: Full timers age?

We absolutely loved it! We worked camped in California in 2001 and again in 2004 for three KOA RV parks. We're back in our stick house and periodically reminisce about all the great memories and people we met. We highly recommend it - we were about your age at the time and we had blast. It's a good idea to keep an open mind, be flexible, have a good sense of humor and not take it TOO seriously. ALL our employers at the KOA parks were great and Chuck and Debbie at Tucalota Springs RV park in California were the best. Go do it!