Full-timers and washer/dryers

Texan_Travelers

Hello again all~

We think we've selected the Montana 3400 as our first RV, and now I'm in the process of trying to learn what washer/dryers I can put in it. I don't want that Spendide unit in the RV. I'd love to put a Kenmore stacked washer/dryer unit in. I chose the 3400, in part, because it had the full-sized upfront stackable washer/dryer closet as opposed to the small cabinet in the bedroom for a spendide combo.

I've called Sears and Home Depot, and now I'm having trouble finding a Kenmore or Maytag or even a GE which is low enough volts to be usable in the Montana. I KNOW we cannot possibly be the only people facing this problem among the full-timing crowd. I've heard dreadful things about that Spendide unit, and so wish to put a Kenmore in there.

Any people willing to take a second and school a girl on what washer/dryer they use...especially if you got a Kenmore, and your RV is a Montana.

PLEASE let me hear from you.

hertig

Re: Full-timers and washer/dryers

What does the manufucturer of the RV suggest? One hopes they had some specific models in mind when they designed the space for the washer/dryer...

TexasClodhopper

I've never looked at over/under washer/dryers, but I would think those built for the home would be for 220v (at least the dryer would.)

utmtman

RE: Full-timers and washer/dryers

I recently had a heck of a time with a home dishwasher, kenmore, sears finally took it back and gave me a new kenmore under the lemon law. Anyway during the six visits by sears we talked about the combo washer dryers, that wash and dry and they told us they cannot be beat that they are some of the best units out there. I have only seen the name combomatic and splendid at camping world and sears people say they are good units.
Here is the info posted from another forum on that subject
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...s}|km{exact}|kl{m}|fm{}|pd{365}|ma{}/sr/1.cfm

Texan_Travelers

Lee/Fran ~ Thanks for directing me over, and for clueing me in to what you've heard. I'll be reading the posts RE the washers/dryers this very late evening. I surely appreciate your post for me. A local RV salesman told me NOT to buy the spendide unit for the RV. He of course told us this when we were alone with him in a modeal we were walking. He suggested we go to Sears and buy a Maytag or Kenmore. He said Splendide has all sorts of problems. I was confused, then, when I noticed that *all* the dryers of those Kenmore combo's (as well as the Maytag single smalls) all use 240v. I read somewhere, though where I cannot now recall because I was only slightly paying attention, that you cannot use a 240v washer/dryer in a fifth wheel. Imagine how confused I feel, having been told by an RV guy to go that route, only to discover they're all 240's.

Hertig~ the above answers your question. I was advised (in hush manner) to avoid the splendide and go to Sears. Course this was whispered by an extremely personable and outrageously likable (but nonetheless very green, young and seemingly slightly unsure of things gentleman). Seems I have to wade in out here and just spend a weekend trying to fine threads abudant about this very topic. Spending $1,200+ for a Splendide if they are going to prove nothing but problems isn't on my to-do list. :laugh: I'd be relieved if I read a few posts from folks raving about the Splendide - or those who can tell me in no uncertain terms to avoid it altogether. Seems a lot of money to spend if your salesman is looking you square in the eye and emphasizing that this is a product to be avoided. Lessens his commission, right?

Thanks, folks. Appreciate your every word.

Oh, and before I forget...Texas - when in my other thread DL and Grandview were telling me to stay away from Ford, why did you jot weigh in on the subject? I never pay attention to what's written at the bottom of people's posts. I jus this day noticed that two of you fellas who've been responding to my other post are Ford men. So tell me....how has *your* Ford 450 treated you? I'd love nothing more than to chose the Ford F350 diesel King Ranch. I realize your truck isn't diesel, (and I don't know if that matters) but do a gal a favor and tell me that your Ford has been a blessing. Please. ;) :laugh:

hertig

I have the Splendide, and it works. It's great for underwear and T shirts, not too noisy, doesn't fill the gray water tank too fast. The problem is that it is for small loads. Actually, the dryer is for small loads, I think you could wash perhaps twice what you can dry.

TexasClodhopper

Michelle, I bought my Class C Winnie with the Ford E-450 underneath it. Its a van chassis with a V-10 gasser. I've had no problems with it, but you are getting very good advice on DIESEL trucks.

No need to worry, I'll jump in when I've a mind to. ;)

Texan_Travelers

John ~ Thanks for your post. So far I haven't found anything negative written of the Splendide, so I'm puzzled as to why our salesman thinks it's a bad buy. I appreciate your kind willingness to tell me of your experience. Guess the Splendide, however pricey for its size, is what we'll go with.

Appreciate ya, John...

Michelle
:)

DL Rupper

Hey Michelle, from what I've heard the RV washer/dryers are all fairly small, use a lot of water, and you need to wash very often to keep up with the dirty clothes. Notice the key word is what I've heard. I don't have a washer/dryer in the RV unless you consider "wifey" hand washing the clothes and that isn't going to happen. We use the RV Park laundry facilities and that can be from really good to really bad. If you get in a large RV Park they can be really crowded. However I have seen a lot of campers that have onboard washer/dryers using the Park facilities, because their on board machines require doing a small load every day to stay ahead. Just more info for you to sort through.

hertig

Usually we do our washing using external machines. But we did do a bunch using the Splendide 'just to try it'. Underwear and T-shirts (no pants and certainly not my coveralls). I think we did some hand towels too, but can't remember for sure. Takes a while for a load (1.5 hours maybe?), and there were a lot of those small loads, so we were washing all day. I don't think it uses that much water; as I recall it only upped the gray water tank 1/8 or less per load, so that's perhaps 6 gallons per load.

We had to go out and get some 'dryer bags' for some of the unmentionables. Fortunately, there was a WalMart right down the road.

The advantage of the 'all in one' is the size/weight, and perhaps that you don't need to mess with the load between the wash and the dry. These are the only advantages. The advantage of the separates is that the size of the dryer can be appropriate for the size of the washer. If I remember the book correctly, the wash load size was twice the dryer load size, so you had to cut the wash load down to what the dryer could handle. I suppose you could do a wash load and stop and then manually do 2 dryer loads, but that sounds like a pain.

Why did the salesman pan them? Don't know. Could be they didn't carry them. Or perhaps the small load size turned him off. Or perhaps he or someone he knows got bit bad by one (it does happen). Or perhaps the commission on them sucks. Or perhaps he heard from someone who heard from their psychic...

kjtdrt

We have a Splendide in our motorhome. We used it on a trip and found that it is very small and you can only do small loads! Also, when the dryer started working, the whole motorhome shook, we were in bed and it felt like one of those vibrating beds! We are planning to go fulltime and think we would get more use out of a dishwasher! Think about it. We also noticed that most campgrounds have nice facilities and we can get all our laundry done in an hour an a half!!! Good luck!

utmtman

Our RV came with all the hookup for a washer dryer but only in the size for a combo unit all in one. But the wife said she would rather wash out than do them in the motor home anyway so we chose to make that space our pantry for the groceries and large pans and other appliances.