Full Timers with Cats

tara nix

Planning to begin full timing with 2 cats within the next few years. Looking for suggestions for the location of the litter box. We plan to purchase a 30'-34' 5th wheel, but don't have it yet.

Would like to find out what others are doing....

Thanks...

hertig

Full Timers with Cats

Have you made sure the 2 cats enjoy (or at least tolerate) travel? Ours like it (particularly lying on the dashboard in the sun), but they grew up travelling. Cats are by nature territorial, which causes some to travel very poorly indeed.

When travelling, ours ride in the truck, then transfer to the trailer when stopped (they always wear harnesses with leashes). I suppose they could ride in the trailer, but I fear the ride could be pretty rough for them.

For answer to your questions, see my response to your other post.

captainjeb

Full Timers with Cats

we have 2 cats in our 32' fifth wheel. we made some minor changes for the litter box. on the side of the bed that is not noticeable, we cut a small hole. then under the bed, we cut another small hole that drops down into the front compartment under the trailer and put the litter box there. it works much better than having it in the trailer but if it is hot outside, you have to be sure to scoop it regularly. i just cant stand the smell of a litterbox. my cats are good about finding the litterbox wherever it is. i just showed them the hole. i didnt know if they could see in the dark to use litterbox so i had my husband install a light. after a couple of days i just turned it off and left it off. there is a way to train cats to go in the commode but it is hard to do with only just one. i gave up.

fulltimer5er

Full Timers with Cats

We have a cat a dog and a bird and they all love going as far as the cat box put it in the shower works perfect if some gets kicked out you just wash it down also you can get these owder bags at bed bath and beyond we lay it on top of the cat box and it abzorbs any owder no one has ever smelled it. Jim

hertig

Full Timers with Cats

When we went from 2 to 7 cats, I modified the under bed storage of the 5th wheel into a 'cat house'. Worked great. Unfortunately, the new motorhome doesn't seem to have any place which can be modified for cats.

s.harrington

Full Timers with Cats

The shower is a good place but make sure you have a plug in the drain so no litter will go down an plug it up.

seaside47

Full Timers with Cats

We got a 5th wheel w/bunkhouse for 17 pound cat.The bottom bunk will
house litter box after mattress is taken out and he can have his own bed to nap on. We hope he adjusts to his new home with familiar things.
:)
quote:Originally posted by tara nix

Planning to begin full timing with 2 cats within the next few years. Looking for suggestions for the location of the litter box. We plan to purchase a 30'-34' 5th wheel, but don't have it yet.

Would like to find out what others are doing....

Thanks...

s.harrington

Full Timers with Cats

What I have seen that seems to work best is an access door into a compartment and the litter box in the compartment. That way you don't get the smell inside and all you have to do is open the outside door for cleanup and dumping. The one I saw had the access under the bed with a regular cat door in the bed itself and a 8 inch round hole in the floor. With different trailers there are other options. some you could just put a cat door next to the steps that go up into the bathroom.