Full-timing in a few years

danvdk

Hello,
I grew up around rving and am now a few years away from full timing it with my wife. We have been looking at the Forest River Wildcat and Cardinal as well as the Silverback. We are at least a few years away from hitting the road, but would like to seriously start looking into what we like and don't like as well as what is known by the pros as a a great rig to full time it in. In terms of trucks we have been told everything from a Ford f250 diesel to a 350 with dually's.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

P.S. - how long before solar power can run an RV?

Kirk

Re: Full-timing in a few years

First of all, you need to learn what RVs are quality built and how to tell the difference. The best place to start is to join the RV Consumer Group.
www.rv.org

You also need to learn about weights and weight ratings. There are very few traliers which are large enough to live in full-time which are not too heavy for an F250 or any other 3/4 ton truck. Most require at least a 1 ton and the larger ones should be towed by medium duty trucks like the F450 or the F550.

cdude

RE: Full-timing in a few years

Hi Dan.

Me and the boss just started our full-time adventure (2-months ago) after selling the house. Spent almost 3-years researching, first what we needed for a roof and then the truck. The trailer was the biggest hurdle - settling on not only the layout that met our needs, but also the quality and what we thought was the more green - least amount ofoff-gasing. Truck size was then determined once we knew the size of trailer and its weight characteristics. Talked to a few people with 5th wheels and their thoughts on SRW or dually. Most felt more stable on the road in windy weather with the dually and that was our choice. Must agree with the stability.

Good luck.

Charlie

krautdog

Just got my statement form the social security department, 19 more years until I hit 62 then I’m going fulltime (provided social security is still around by then) :evil:

H2H1

Dang David 19 more years sounds like forever. I just hope in 6 months it still there so I can start drawing it. But I promise to leave you some when I get mine started. :laugh: :laugh:

H2H1

DANG Jim, how about giving 1/2 back so I will be able to get some :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: BTW how are you doing?

elkhartjim

Life is good Hollis. When the night is the darkest, have faith because the dawn will always bring a new day and great opportunities.

Kirk

"DANG Jim, how about giving 1/2 back so I will be able to get some?"

Actually, what he didn't get I am spending.

LEN

Ah come-on guys save a little for me!! Just became of age day before yesterday and will get my first deposit in Jan. YEEEEE HAAAA! "Well it's a little better than beer money"

LEN

H2H1

Well Len I have to wait till June to file, and what ever I am entitle to the Govnt is getting 45% of it back :dead: But at least I will be getting some of it back :laugh:

navybabe

Hello,
I will also be joining the ranks of full-timing RVers. Still not sure which one I want to get: Diesel Class A Toy Hauler or Diesel Class C Toy Hauler. I don't wish to buy a truck for a towable which is the reason I have narrowed my choice. My mother and grandmother will be joining me on my full-time adventure (they are already retired). I have done quite a bit of research on price, but was hoping if there are others that can provide personal information on the two types mentioned above. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

utmtman

You will get as many opinions on the two you are looking at as there are brands. Do some searching of posts here and you can find a lot of opinions. But I would suggest the class A if there is going to be three of you and you might even want to look at those that have two pottys in them as well.

LEN

Navebabe

Welcome, Question why the toy hauler? The reason I ask is the lose of space to the toy hauler part. Although a lot of the toy haulers(5th wheels have some excellent larger family bed options) but have not seen the same in the motor-homes. With a rig large enough for 3 ladies to be comfortable I assume you want the toy hauler option for a get around rig. But with 3 of you there a toad is not a problem as on the freeways and main roads you will not really know its back there and one can drive the toad near campgrounds or in tight spots.

LEN

navybabe

LEN - 11/29/2009 10:58 AM

Navebabe

Welcome, Question why the toy hauler? The reason I ask is the lose of space to the toy hauler part. Although a lot of the toy haulers(5th wheels have some excellent larger family bed options) but have not seen the same in the motor-homes. With a rig large enough for 3 ladies to be comfortable I assume you want the toy hauler option for a get around rig. But with 3 of you there a toad is not a problem as on the freeways and main roads you will not really know its back there and one can drive the toad near campgrounds or in tight spots.

LEN
Thanks Utmtmn and Len,
I am looking at a toy hauler because I also have a cruiser motorcycle and can't see myself parting with it. Though I realize I lose space, I am not sure of another option to take it along with a toad. I don't want a 5th wheel because I want my mom and grandmother to be comfortable and "sitting" in a vehicle all day can be a bit much for anyone. I have seen a motorhome that has the room for the motorcycle and the "space" upstairs a loft/bedroom. I will take the smaller space so that mom and grandma are comfortable. Still looking for other advice. Thanks

LEN

Again depending on budget, there are bike lifts that attach to the back of a motor home with electric lift and you can have a toad behind also.

LEN

TexasClodhopper

If you're going to be towing a vehicle AND carrying a cruiser size motorcycle, you should be looking at a Class A with a diesel.

Also, there are trailers built to haul a vehicle with a motorcycle loaded crosswise on there, too.

navybabe

Len, Thanks for the advice. Looked up the lift you were referring to and find that to suffice. Now I am back at my original "problem" - Class A or Class C diesel. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions. Anyone know some manufacturers that offer two bedroom (not bunkbeds) Class A? I will be back with more questions after more research.....