Fulltime RVer going solar.

SASteve49

Looking for input on all aspects, especially inverters.
Have been researching all solar panels, batteries etc but would rather have input from those who are already off grid. I have a 12,000W gas/propane generator and want enough solar to be totally off grid for A/C and everything else as well.

SASteve49

First, you determine the actual energy usage of your RV. You then plug this number into the RV solar panel size calculator to get the battery banks, the number of solar panels you need, as well as the solar charge controller.
Looking at flexible panels vs rigid for roof mounting. Weight is the main consideration. I know that the efficiency of rigid panels is higher but are flex panels worth installing to be able to go fully off-grid?

Last edited by a moderator:

BearInTheWoods

Looking at flexible panels vs rigid for roof mounting. Weight is the main consideration. I know that the efficiency of rigid panels is higher but are flex panels worth installing to be able to go fully off-grid?
Steve, what did you end up doing? We're converting our Class A to solar as well and rather than try to create some new configuration with crappy equipment I would like to hear from all those who went before to throw flags on the bad equipment and installation hacks. thanks.

helloDog

Look up Will Prowse on youtbue and get your fill of info. He also has a forum that will be more than mind can grasp.
not sure if I allowed to give links...
diysolarforum com
so this is almost a link if you know how to type it in you are goodtogo