Future Newbie?

C Nash

Re: Future Newbie?

If he has a chevette we need to exchange some pictures. There also has been a recall on some workhorse chassis of boiling brake fluid and calipar sticking which is causing warped rotors. As I said nither of the problems on Ford or Chevy would keep me from buying. At least we know of the possible problems. Workhorse has at least admitted there may be a problem on certain models that fall in a production time table. So far Ford has not taken any responsbility on blown plugs. As far as CCC any make may have a very low CCC. I looked at a Triple E that only had 576 lbs of CCC. Salesman told me that was all I needed. Love those selsmen that don't know my camping habits and yet know what I need. Think they are thinking what they need "A SELL"

PS Hollis don't think I was knocking your SW ;) Think I said workhorse chassis. Goggle it and you will find recalls on CERTAIN workhorse chassis. No perticular brand of house.

Cruzincat

Assuming this goes through (waiting on the bank), is there a resource for finding used toads? Or do yo just have to keep an eye out for specific models? Most of what I have found in my research is information on newer vehicles as to whether they are toad worthy. Is there a good resource on older toads?

C Nash

Now you are yelling at us Hollis :laugh: ;)
Russ you can go to motor home magazine and find older vehicles that can be towed 4 down. Just goggle MH magazine. Sometimes you can find toads that have been traded in and still have the brakets on them. Saturn was a popular toad so you may just start looking at some used Saturns and maybe you'll get lucky.

Cruzincat

I am going to go out on a limb here, hoping it will not jinx me with the bank. Important question: where do you get the map avatar that you color in for states you've been in. Also, do you have to overnite or is passing through enough? I could almost fill one up just in the travels I have made already, without an RV. Not kosher?

TexasClodhopper

The rule is that you have to have actually camped out in the state overnight before you can color in the state.

My rule is that I had to do something more than just camp out while passing through.

Cruzincat

How about if you're passing over in an airplane and use the bathroom? :laugh: I guess they would have to drop the blue ice to qualify!

I jinxed the bank deal. They declined us. Not sure why, although we did go through some bad times about 9 years ago, that continue to haunt us. I hate credit anyway, so I don't feel all that bad about not getting it. Going to have to check our CR to make sure there isn't any new bogus info on us there. We will be getting a MH or 5ver by the time we retire, if not shortly after. We will have 401K, 403B, lump sum retirement etc when that happens. So I will hang out here for a while learning and maybe even contributing if possible.

Cruzincat

BTW, I am keep a positive outlook on this. I am thinking we will be able to afford an even better MH or 5ver when the time comes. :)

DL Rupper

Lets cut to the chase. We full-timed for 15 years in a 5th wheel and would purchase one all over again. Lots less trouble when things go wrong. Believe me, it's not an opinion. after being on 4 different RV forums not to mention reading HighWays, TrailerLife and MotorHome magazines, I've heard (read) lots more stories of things going wrong with MH's than 5th wheels. MH's are far more costly when things do go wrong.

After using campground wifi systems for about 4 years, we finally bought a Verizon air-card and never found an RV park that we couldn't get the air-card to connect to the Internet. Sometimes it wasn't Verizon broadband, but it did connect to a sister system that Verizon shared with. It was slower than Verizon broadband, but worked. The campground wifi systems are not as safe to use if you do financial transactions and are sometimes so slow you could send smoke signals faster.

C Nash

Now another view, I have camped for 50 yrs and owned most ever kind of rv there is from tents to the MH now. At my age I could never go back to trailering but the economy might force me to. If you take into account the proper tow vehicle and a nice fiver not much difference IMO. Yes the mh is more expensive to own but so is a 5th wheel over a tent. My MH expensive has so far been not much more than when we had the 5th wheel. But, now I need to buy 6 tires :( . Tires are not that much more than my dually tires were. Insurance and tags about the same but little higher for MH. I do most of my own repairs. MH has the same things in a drive train that a good tow vehicle. Rather have my little 4x4 tracker toad to sight see than a truck. I guess the best way is to climb the ladder own them all then decide. All rvs I owned served the purpose at the time. What is best for one is not for another so each person has to make that decision.

DL Rupper

Hey Chelse, it's good you don't need 6 new tires for a diesel pusher. The last time I bought 4 premium Michelin XPS RIB 16 inch tires for the 5er I paid under $1000 mounted and balanced. I would think a big MH would cost at least double that if not much, much more. Ask Hollis or Lee how much they recently paid for new tires. My point is that a 5er anyway you look at it is cheaper to buy and maintain than a MH with big tires, engine and drive train.

If you are rich money doesn't matter. Well maybe it does matter if Obama takes it all away and gives it POOR OLD me. My hand is extended for all the money you rich MH owners have to give. laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :evil: :approve:

C Nash

Well DL if I look at it from a money standpoint I need to go back to the tent. Will you not agree that a tent is cheaper than the fiver ;) So do you advise going back to the tent. Not saying the MH is cheaper just that it serves some people better. When I am no longer able to do my own work there will be no way I can afford a MH. If money was no object I would say MH no brainer. 45 ft diesel pusher with all the bells and whistles. Feel sorry for poor old you in your condo ;) :laugh: :laugh: Oh by the way I can get the Michelin XRV 19.5 for 238 each. Got connections :) :approve: Good to see you are still hanging around the forum.

H2H1

I still prefer my MH. yes it is some what costly to maintain, but I knew that when I bought it. I also knew the tires was going cost a lot also. But to have the convenience of the wife having to go to the bathroom and not having to stop every 200-300 mile for that is a blessing for me. I do look at it from the money stand point, but you have to give a little to get a little. As the economy get better(and I hope it does) we aren't going as much as we like. But staying on the positive side of thinking we will be back on the road. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

whitey

Hi Russ: If i had been in a state with my motorhome and stay night a or just pass though i will add it to my map. This is the link for the sates map.http:

//www.epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap/

H2H1

Tex I agree, he thinks he is retired, but he's not.He still love to tell us all something that he has experience. My only regret is I have never met THE MAN, AND HE IS THE MAN! BUT IT IS FUN PULLING HIS CHAIN :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: