Gas Detector

Shadow

Hi Guys. Lately when we turn our a/c on after trailer has been sitting awhile, our gas detector will go off. Thought at first it was the frig. at start up, but we have been leaving trailer at an rv park the last three months with the frig and gas on. We go down on the weekend and I always turn the a/c fan on before I hit cool. Wife was sitting at the table when I turned it on, she didn't smell anything, but said it kind of burned her eyes. That's when the gas detector went off. We just close the door and come back after awhile, and everything seems fine. Don't have any more trouble till the next trip. Then same ole thing. Take care guys, still running the a/c in Texas. :laugh:

C Nash

Gas Detector

Shadow,
There are a lot of chemicals that tend to set those things off. Doubt it is gas as it should be going off with the rv closed up because the gas will settle down near the floor. The detector is located near the floor I suppose. I know in our cougar we had a problem with the fire detector going off when cooking with the heat rising up. With eyes burning it sounds like some sort of chemical and could be the paneling ut, the gas detector going off sure sends up a red flag :( Check all lines and fittings and be sure stove is off and not leaking. Don't forget the hot water heater and furnace. AC still running here in Alabama also but, talking about night time 30's by week end.

Shadow

Gas Detector

Thanks for quick reply Mr. Nash. Maybe your right about the panelling and glue and stuff. Gets pretty hot in them things when they are closed up. Don't think it's gas, because it's happen with out any gas on. How you liking That Vacationer. Get used to that Ford emblem yet. :clown:

C Nash

Gas Detector

Got all them things off and put my BowTies emblems on :laugh: . Got me a bigger bowtie on the front of the toad chevy tracker and having that chevy chasing that ford has really sped it up :eek: Can't believe I can't find anything wrong with a ford :approve: Cut out that MR. stuff, Nash will do fine :approve: Will try to e-mail a picture of my new toad :clown:

Shadow

Gas Detector

Thanks Chelse, If that tracker gets tired I still got that 68 chevelle in the barn. Talking serious bowtie there. :approve:

hertig

Gas Detector

If it gets hot in them things when they are closed up, you can fix that so at least it doesn't get hotter than it does outside... Install one or two of those covered roof vents. Or if you have electric hooked up, a covered vent with thermostatically controlled fan at one end of the trailer and either a covered vent or covered window inlet (Window-Maxx) at the other end of the trailer.

Ed H.

Gas Detector

quote:Originally posted by Shadow

Hi Guys. Lately when we turn our a/c on after trailer has been sitting awhile, our gas detector will go off. Thought at first it was the frig. at start up, but we have been leaving trailer at an rv park the last three months with the frig and gas on. We go down on the weekend and I always turn the a/c fan on before I hit cool. Wife was sitting at the table when I turned it on, she didn't smell anything, but said it kind of burned her eyes. That's when the gas detector went off. We just close the door and come back after awhile, and everything seems fine. Don't have any more trouble till the next trip. Then same ole thing. Take care guys, still running the a/c in Texas. :laugh:

Does the a/c cool? If its perormance is lacking at all, I would suspect a refrigerant leak. If the weather isn't scalding hot, it may seem like its doing the job even if it has a small leak. I worked in refrigeration for a lot of years and never had it bother my eyes, but there could be a superfine mist of lubricating oil that could cause that.
Refrigeration leaks can be the biggest pain in the you-know-what to find when they're small, but they usually grow.

C Nash

Gas Detector

Shadow, I put a picture of my new toad in the show and tell on RVUSA home page :laugh: Picture didn't show up to good. Really was just trying to see if I could get a picture to send. Thought I could just remove it after I sent as it has nothing to do with travel so Lee can remove it if necessary. Wish all would start posting some of their trips. Tried to put in a trip once and didn't get it done.
When you get ready to get that old chevelle out of the way, let me know
:approve:
Like John's idea with the covered vents. Got them on the MH and they are great.

Shadow

Gas Detector

Thanks guys, I will get the a/c checked. Seems to run an awful lot. Been meaning to buy the vent covers, guess I will now. Chelse I don't think my chevelle is fast enough for you. Only runs mid 12s.

C Nash

Gas Detector

Butch, the chevette is just a little old granny car for grocery shopping. Only runs mid 5s :eek: with high 4s possible if we wanted to NOS it. :laugh: