Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Gary B

87 octane gas is now $2.37 per gallon and diesel is $3.30 here in our part of MN. Its now cheaper per mile to drive a big block gas than a diesel.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :angry: :dead: :disapprove:

USMC

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi Gary B,
That may be true, but I can burn free vegetable oil in my diesel truck can you? LOL Later Jim

Shadow

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Where you been hiding Gary B? Know what you mean about the diesel. Is that $2.37 or $2.87?

Gary B

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi USMC, yes you maybe able to burn some in the summer but you won't get far in the near future when your veggy oil turns white and is soild like lard as the temps drop, and I have yet to see any fuel stations along the road saying come on in and fill up with our free veggy oil. Also your assuming wrongly that I don't have a diesel I do and under no surcumstances would I put veggy oil in my truck, injector pumps, injectors and labor cost to repair FAR out weigh any cost savings. :angry: :disapprove: :eek: .
Hi Shadow, been working on my airplane and flying, yes for the monment its $2.399 for unleaded pricewent up 3 cents overnite. :disapprove: :angry:

:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :approve:

Shadow

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

It was $2.79 when I filled the Jeep up Monday. Down about a dime from last fill up. :bleh: Good to hear from you.

USMC

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi Gary,
Actually Gary the veggie tank has a line that runs through antifreeze from your radiator that keeps the veggie oil warm before it enters your engine the veggie oil tank is mounted on top of this warming unit.
No there are no gas stations that carry this that I know of at the present, however If you have one of the 100 gallon tanks you can fill up before you leave on your destation at micky "Ds" and then when you get there you can pull into Kentucky fried chicken and fill up at the Colonels free ha ha.
However there is one draw back the exaust tends to smell like french fries,but that is something I can live with, and it is a proven fact that the veggie oil is less a polluantant than is gas or diesel fuels. it is also a proven fact that the diesel engine runs better on veggetable oil than it does on diesel and it does not hurt your engine or injectors that is also a proven fact.later Jim

Kirk

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

USMC, why don't you let us all know when you next get your free fuel at KFC or McDonalds, as we keep hearing that BS but it isn't actually happening. That is a big story even for a marine!

Here in Monroe, LA the Pilot station has 87 octane gasoline for $2.579 and diesel is $3.299. I didn't check to see what KFC was asking for their used oil. But I did ask and they do not give it away, but sell it to a recycle company.

USMC

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Beam me up captain Kirk, you are way to high up for me to converse with, you are way to informed in this subject for me to try and debate with you.
Actually I only used Kentucky fried chicken and McDonalds as an example, as it is more well known,I guess I should have explained this better for you. However most people usually get their veggie oil from the local home town reastrauants and I have checked with our local Dairy Queen and was gave permission to take what ever I want, as they just give theirs away to get it hauled off.
Also most managers of Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonalds WILL give you some oil if you ask nice.
Most small towns like the one I live in is not as strict on these things as probably where you live.
I just thought this was an interesting subject and a alternative fuel some RV owners would be interested in considering, from the response I 'm receiving, I guess I was wrong. I won't post anymore on here, I will just read the post as us Jarheads are not all that smart on the ways of this message board. later Jim

ARCHER

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi Gary,
Hope you had a good summer. Things here were ok. Lots of "Honey Do" list this summer, but I got most of it done. Just gettng ready to tune up the ole gal (not the wife, but a thought???) with new plug wires, plugs, filters, oil, pcv, etc. Only have 13K miles on her, but since she is an ole lady at 16 years, thought I'd go ahead and do the full tune up before heading to Texas in a month. Yup, gonna go to the Big T this winter. Gas is gonna cost me about $700.00 to $800.00 for the trip down, I'm guessing. Good thing I filled up when I got home this last spring and stabiled it.
We did go to Minn (your beautiful State) and love it just as much as the previous years....made it ten this summer. Gonna be there next summer for two weeks again and can hardly wait.
I think you know we lost our Brandy (doggie) after we got home from Florida due to cancer. Really miss her a LOT. Still have Rascal (Cat), but she is getting up there also at 16 years. Too bad all these experts on gas, diesel, veggie oil, peanut butter, etc., can't come up with an anti aging formula for us and our pets.
Sorry folks, took up too much personal time on this note.......hope you all have a great, safe, warm winter. :) :laugh: :cool: ;)

Grandview Trailer Sa

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Veggie oil is used in various parts of the country. I saw this on TV the other night. Willie Nelson, yes the singer, uses it in his tour bus and personnal vehicles. He is pushing Bio-Diesel, as he calls it, big. He is part owner of a truck stop somewhere in Texas and says he never uses diesel anymore for the environment and cost benefits. There is movement around the country to expand availablity. It might be the wave of the future.

Gary B

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Veggy diesel or the real name is Bio-diesel is 2% soy oil its the law here in MN. it helps with polution but has less btu's thus less power and less mpg. About 5% soy oil is max for flowabilty in cold months. While every gallon of soy oil used is a gallon less of petro it is hardly the true answer but a start. Diesel just jumped to $3.599 / gal over night but is suppose to drop today or tommorrow gas still holding at $2.399

Hey Jim you don't have stop posting, but we both know you can't stop at a resturant grab a 5 gallon can of used cooking oil and pour it into your fuel tank. If anyone does they'll be sitting about 5 blocks from were they started with at min. a very clogged fuel filter. Cooking oil is very contaninated with food particals water, drit you name it and I belive that what Krik was thinking I know it was my first thoughts.

:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;)

hertig

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

I think there are 2 completely separate concepts here. One is vegetable oil, which needs some modifications to the vehicle to work right, and the other is true 'bio-diesel', which is refined from vegetable oil, and is claimed to require no modifications to the vehicle at all to use. Usually this is sold as Bio Diesel XX, where XX is the percent vegitable base. I think the most common ones are 20% and 100%. We have an outfit in tucson which sells it; when I checked the 100% Bio version was about 5 to 10 cents a gallon cheaper than petrolium diesel.

Grandview Trailer Sa

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hey Jim,
I agree, don't let Kirk get under your skin. Feel honored instead that you have joined the vast ranks of folks that have been blasted by him. Keep on posting...

ozone

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

right now i'm using the petro diesel but want to start using "bio-diesel". How can I start, do I need to change anything to the truck, is this a diesel additive or a petro diesel replacement. sorry to be so dumb but i like to know. thanks

Gary B

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi ozone, biodiesel is 2% soybean oil refined for vehicle use, you don't have to do a thing to the truck, it is blended in at the pipeline terminal and delivered to the stations ready to use. Here in MN. it is now required by law, so if your in this part of the country you'll get to use it.
As I posted before it burns cleaner and provides extra lube to the injector pump and injectors but has less BTU's but you'll probaly not notice it with 2% maybe with the 5% blend.
Diesel fuel here is now $3.39 and unleaded is $2.26, if this stays its going to have a real (not good) effect on diesel truck resales, plus I know of 6 or more stations that are going to stop selling diesel this will be back to the days of a few years ago when you had to hunt and peck for diesel fuel when traveling. Now it is cheaper by far to drive a gasser for daily driving.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: ;) :( :angry: :dead:

ozone

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi Gary B.
Thanks alot for the info. I'm currently in MI and there are local petro stations which sells the BI-O. I will give it a try and see. Yes, I don't like the prices for diesel fuel, but I needed since I own a small construction company on the side and It just starting to do some good business. My luck as usual :) . Thanks again

Shadow

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Filled up today here in Richmond TX. and diesel was $2.99 per gal. was $3.19 just a few days ago. Can't find any consistency in prices. I may have to plant soybeans next year. I can't say I've seen any biodiesel here, but I havn't been looking.

Gary B

Gas/Diesel Fuel Prices

Hi ozone, yea it really sucks for business farmers and just think of the folks that heat with #2 fuel oil, I can park my diesel and drive the Dakota but I can't park the furnace and if it stays at $2.80 / $3.00 for home heating I'll most likely park the diesel for even longer. If congress doesn't do something we'll be in a deep recession after this winter. :angry: :dead: :( :blackeye: