gas economy

elyquilter

I am looking at a Trail lite class b+ motorhome. Does anyone know what the real gas milage would be. The one I am looking at has the chev 6.0 engine. And is 21 ft long. Thanks

elyquilter

Re: gas economy

Also what is the general difference if one buys the b+ or we are also looking at one of the conversion vans. Would love to buy a diesel but it is out of our price range. I am looking at gas milage difference between the two

hertig

I would suspect that your gas mileage will be 12 MPG or less. Your best mileage will probably be at 55 MPH (my truck with that engine and towing a 6000 fifth wheel got 10.2 MPG at 55 and 8.2 MPG at the posted speed limit.

A 'conversion van' is a comfortable travelling vehicle. It will get better gas mileage than a RV (because it is much lighter), but will have so-so sleeping, no bathroom and no kitchen, no water tanks and no generator.

One option if you want a bare bones RV with top gas mileage, is to find the bare (cargo) van you like which gets good gas mileage, and then have Sportsmobile make it into a semi-RV to your specifications (limited by the weight of the van, lighter gets better gas mileage but can have fewer options). Or for really good gas mileage, my dad has a Toyota Sienna van which gets really good gas mileage, and he took out most of the rear seats and has an air bed and a porta potty in there.

hamdave

Check out the 'RoadTrek' class-B type of vehicles. they are a 'small' RV, not classified as a cconversion. Okay for travel, but you would not want to spend
more than a few days sleeping in one. JMHO

Do you folks have any idea what type of Gas mileage the Chevey work-horse engines get in gas mileage? I was told 9 mi. to the gallon towing a vehicle .... Thanks!!

hertig

My 6.0L 2001 GMC engine gets about 12.5 MPG in the 3/4 HD pickup at the speed limit. Towing a 6000 pound trailer, it got 8.2 MPG at the speed limit and 10.2 MPG at 55 MPH.

rjann

I have a friend with a 2005 Trail lite b+. He gets 10 to 11 mpg. My Chinook b gets 12. This comparison is when we go on trips together, same speed, same route. The differences are: b+ wind resistance over the sleeker b. He has the Triton Ford V8 and I have the Triton Ford V10.
Bob

This work horse engine is a Vortex 8.1 L. I am curious to know if anyone has this same engine and what type of gas mileage they get on the road? Thanks!