GAS ENGINE PROBLEM

ARCHER

Well, made it home from my first winter in Florida as a "Retiree" and loved it all.
My last 100 miles was not very good :( since I had to drive only 40-45 miles an hour.
Seems that when I try to give the ole gal some gas she seems to want to bog down :dead: , kind of like when your older and need to rest up before the big event of the day. As long as I was on level ground and did not have to give it more gas to speed up, it would run fine, but the minute I hit a hill and had to give gas, it seemed to not get gas and seemed to miss or almost stall. I have a 31 ft, winn, chieftain, with the 454 gas engine and I was pulling a honda accord on a tow dolly.
Seriously, I gas up down near Nashville this am and crossed the mighty Ohio river into Indiana (home state) and it all started. I may have gotten some bad gas or something more serious. I limped all the way home.
I'm going to change the gas filter tomorrow and see if it was just a clogged gas filter.
Does this seem to be gas problem or could it be transmission problem? Any ideas?
Engine did not overheat and oil pressure stayed in the normal range.

Gary B

GAS ENGINE PROBLEM

Hi ARCHER, its mostly the fuel filter, the Chey's have two one right at the carb. and the main one is inline, in the frame, you just have to follow the fuel line back till you find it. Had this happen to me a fews years back out in Az. had a 87 HR with 454, I thought it was the fuel pump at first, but then discovered the inline filter and it turned out to be the problem (its was the orginal filter MH had 58000 miles on it) and just like you it showed up about 40/50 miles down the road after fueling up. Glad you had a good time and that your back home safe. :) :laugh: :cool: :approve:

ARCHER

GAS ENGINE PROBLEM

Gary B,
tks for the info. I actually had driven about 100 miles and was only able to get up to about 40-45 miles per hour before it seemed to starve for gas. I guess if it was the fuel pump, it would be all the time, right? Anyway, gonna change the filters today (starting with the big one first) test drive and see if it takes care of it. Appreciate the input from you.
Tks for concern about us getting home safely. It was not much fun driving so slowly on I-65 with people flying by at 70-75 MPH , but we did get to see the countryside a little better, ha ha :laugh:
By the way, we are going to go back to Florida in Nov or Early Dec and stay until April this coming winter....it was in the 20's here last night.....should have stayed another week or two down in the Sunshine State. :cool:

Bossman

GAS ENGINE PROBLEM

sorry to hear about your 454 gas prob, we had the same problem with our 454 last nov.on our return trip from south padre island. turned out to be the inline filter. changed it in a parking lot at a truck stop................zoom, no more probs.

good luck
bossman1

ARCHER

GAS ENGINE PROBLEM

Bossman1, right on. It was the in-line gas filter. changed it and all is back to normal and it even seems to have more power now than before the symtoms showed up.
thanks for the help

Butch

GAS ENGINE PROBLEM

I have had the same filter problems as most folks. However, after starting a program of changing "all" filters at least once a year, I've never had a recurring problem. Some may say changing annualy is overkill, but try to find one of these filters on the Alcan or other places where you can find yourself several hundred miles from a replacement source. My main filter actually plugged up while on the Alcan during one Winter time excursion and I had to bypass the filter with some rubber hose which I fortunately had on board. I believe changing filters frequently is good pracice...