gas engines

SteveM

Thinking seriously of selling the home stead and getting a class A for a few years on the road. How are the new gas engines as far as reliability ? I was leaning towards a dielsel but as some have stated,the cost is so much more. Would like some input on this decision by some tried and trues, Thanks Steve

hertig

gas engines

One thing about gas engines, they seem to provide their maximum torque at higher RPMs. This is good for accelation, but less so for pulling heavy loads up hills.

Bush70

gas engines

You answered your own question. Cost. There is no question the diesel is better. Better fuel economy, more power and they last much longer. But very costly to buy. On the other hand, todays gas jobs have come a long way and there are people who swear by them. I have had both and I drive for a living and the diesel is the way to go if you can afford it. I think what you are planing is great. Good luck and enjoy. Don't look back!

C Nash

gas engines

Steve, with proper service and driving the gas engine will probably last as long as the box on the mh will. (JMO)

janicenlarry

gas engines

Could never justify addl cost of a diesel. When full timing, never run enough annual miles to justify the addl big bucks. Have had great service with the Ford V-10 which I outfitted with a Banks system. :laugh:

Kirk

gas engines

Like Larry, we live fulltime in a motorhome powered by the Ford V-10 with a Banks performance package. We love ours. We climb the hills with the smaller of the diesel engine powered rigs. And we paid about $30K less for ours and thus we have no payments! The other thing to keep in mind is that fulltimers spend far more hours in the coach when it is stitting still, then traveling down the road. For that reason, a quality coach is much more important than the chassis that it rides on.

janicenlarry

gas engines

Kirk is right, buy at the top of the line for quality when full timing. Otherwise, they start to look shoddy pretty quickly.
Loved the Banks. Didnt get any better mileage but performance was incredible. The V-10 is a great engine by itself but when you add the full Banks, watch out! Leave that sucker on cruise and it just levels the hills out. Money well spent. :laugh:

SteveM

gas engines

What about voiding the warranty if you were to install a Banks system on a new rig ? has anybody run into this ? Thanks for all inputs.
Steve