Gas mileage

jambo101

Potential Class C enthusiast wondering about the average gas mileage one can expect from a 22 foot class c. Anyone feeling the bite with these higher gas prices and have you scaled down any summer trips because of it?

Gary B

Gas mileage

Hi jambo101, welcome to the forum, you haven't given enough information, like what years 1970's or 80's or 90's, Ford, Chevy or Dodge, engine size etc. But generally smaller class c's get anywhere from 8 to 10 mpg (US). Good luck with the search. :) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

hertig

Gas mileage

I just took a month/4000 mile trip, which I pretty much had to take. Gas was bad, but only 1 place I had to pay over 2.00 a gallon, and one other place was over 2.00, but was only an hour from home and I still had enough, so I passed. However, since I got back home, I've cut way down on my driving, cause I just can't bear to pay over 2.00. Which would indicate that future trips could be in doubt if the price does not drop.

jambo101

Gas mileage

So if gas is a big factor in driving a class c (10mpg)which ones are easier on gas ?.i am looking for something about 22ft and has to have a bathroom

Special K

Gas mileage

Take a look at the Airstream class "B". They are available in the 20-24 foot range. Fully equiped with fridge,stove,bath etc. The best part they get in the range of 20+ mile per gallon. They are available on Dodge or Freightliner chassis with deisel engine.

Gary B

Gas mileage

I know that Class B's get better mileage, and if one is looking for a rv that size and looking to buy new then it may make sense, but at the cost of class b's and new ones with or without a diesel engine a person can buy 1000's of gallons of gas on the savings of buying used. While I don't like $2.00 + gas its a lot cheaper then new pickups, vans or MH's. for example my first new pickup was about $4500.00 in 1977 and gas was about, $.60 per gallon, now a new truck is $35000.00 and gas just went to $2.00 if gas had gone up at the same rate we'd be paying $4.67 + per gal. The way I look at it is my very nice 1993 460 SC dually is paid for so I can afford the gas and will travel, I don't need a new truck or camper. Have a good day guys and lets have fun.
:) :laugh: :cool: :bleh: :approve:

Krazeehorse

Gas mileage

Another way to approach it is to estimate the miles you are planning to drive it per year. Then compute your fuel costs with several different MPG's and costs per gallon. You may find that unless you are driving alot, the cost of fuel isn't necessarily a deal breaker anyway.

jimdevenport

Gas mileage

We just returned from a 1600-mile RV trip to CA from Albuquerque when gas prices seemed to peak on the way out, and fell a couple of cents on the way back. We thoroughly ENJOYED the trip and the convenience of carrying our own "stuff" and comfy bed with us and thought the cost of gas well worth it, all told. Of course, we stayed 4 nights which makes a big difference too... helps the mind divide up the comparison between much better gas mileage with a passenger vehicle and the cost of hotels etc.
We paid $2.54 a gallon just east of Barstow CA, and although the 'normal' price of gas seemed to be about $2.30 along the I-40 CA route, we were bumping empty and I was mighty glad to come upon the station before the engine went coff-coff. Our 1993 Fleetwood Holiday (23.5 ft, Chevy chassis with 350 V8, Turboglide/overdrive, and newly owner-repaired cruise control) averaged maybe 9 MPG on this trip.
When I first got this RV I was totally disgusted with the cost of fueling it, cost of repairing it, cost of registering it, difficulty driving it, etc., and was ready to re-sell it within the first month of ownership. Now it's grown on us (after a year and into our second summer of RV'ing on short 2-3 day trips) and, so long as we have sufficient money in the bank to buy the gas, we're happy to take the RV. I find myself much "tighter" about the price of gas when commuting and running around town locally than I do on trips with the RV... when at home we carpool and share rides more and walk/bike more when gas is this high. Anything to help the bank account sustain the next RV trip.... :?)
Jim