Gas or Diesel pusher ?

Michguy

Hi all,
We're close to retiring, and we intend to buy a used 36-38 ft. Motorhome. I was sure that a gas powered one would be perfect, due to initial cost, and cost of maintenance. We plan to see as much of the US as we can, pulling a Toad. Some posts here on the Forum, regarding pulling a Toad through mountainous terrain w/ a gas powered Class A, have got me a little gun-shy. So, I need advice.
What are the typical maintenance costs that I can expect from a Diesel vs. a Gasser, and what about pulling a Toad w/ a Gasser. Our first "big run" will be from here in Spring Lake, MI to Albuquerque by way of Denver. Then across to LA and on up through CA to Seattle. I'd like to continue up to Jasper Alberta before dropping down to Yellowstone and then home by way of the Black Hills. There's just the 2 of us, and she refuses to get out and push.

Michguy

H2H1

Re: Gas or Diesel pusher ?

well Don I have 36' Class A that is a gas power. If you look at my map you can see where I have been, and we towed a 2000 Honda Accord on a car dolly. I just did the oil, filter and lube myself for less than 30.00 for our next trip out, plus the diesel fuel cost more to. BTW you will not be able to do that with a diesel. I have heard that a diesel loves be on the road and it is good for it. It also has more towing power than a gas. and it will cost you more up front for the diesel. I guess it is a decision you will have to make on your own. Good luck on your decision and congratulation on your up coming retirement. And enjoy the ride as long as you can, it is a great adventure.

Michguy

Hollis, thanks for your response. I've read quite a few of your posts, and you and the Texas Clodhopper have impressed me with your knowledge and your willingness to help. I see that you've been just about everywhere there is to go, but it looks like you haven't been in Michigan yet. We invite you to come on up, especially to West Michigan, the beautiful part of the state. You can cross the Mighty Mac, go on up to Copper Harbor and then loop down through Wisconsin. Great ride !

Don

H2H1

well Don thanks for the complement, but I am in no way as smart as Tex and some of the other guys on here. I am just an rookie compared to them.

We was planning on a northern trip this spring/summer to up to New York going over to see the big water fall (Niagara Falls). But plans has changed somewhat, we are going to Washington DC I want to see the Viet Nam Memorial wall. After spending a week there we will come back home repack and head out west. My bride want to go see the fair out in Dallas Ft Worth area. I know you have heard the old saying,,,,if the wife isn't happy ,,,then no one is :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But I do plan on getting up that way soon.

Triple E

What Hollis is saying is correct. I have had gas but now have a diesel. I like my diesel. My diesel take 22 quarts of oil. Oil filter $28,00. Expensive. I gained four miles to the gallon. Air filter when I findone on sale $50 dollars. Transmission fluid $160.00. Diesel $3.00 a gallon. Well you get the idea. I use synthetic oil so I change my oil every two years but I do test the oil every year. Hum! Why do I have a diesel? Well, I like the way she pulls. I never notice if I am pulling something. Runs smooth at about 1700 rpm's at freeway speed and pass the gas rigs on the hills. Rides like a dream. I think some of the things I like the most is having air brakes, Jake brake and torque. I have been white knuckle going down some of these mountain passes in the gas rig, like the Big Horns, but not with the Jake brake. Hollis said this is your choice and I cannot agree with him more. Get what will be comfortable and makes your wife happy. The only thing I no not like, myfuel and brake peddles come up thru the floor. On long drives I cannot stretch my legs out like I could on my gas rig where the peddles hung down from the firewall. I could stretch my feet on the gas rig. So on long drives I would be morecomfortable driving the gas then the diesel. JMHO. Hope you and your wife have a safe and great time in your travels. If you do buy a diesel rig besure you have a oil test done first. This will tell you alot about the engine. ;)

:8ball:

LEN

I had the choice of new gasser and used diesel. After riding and driving a gasser and a diesel there was no choice left. Also the quality of the diesels seems to be better(more weight in the construction) and air ride,brakes and exhaust brake(unless coming to a full stop I very seldom hit the service brakes). Diesels seem to come with more options. I run about $500 a year in costs, but have been adding and catching up to my standards, like this year I added a cleanable air cleaner to add up to the $500 and it was the about $225. I have a shop do my work as I have no place to do the work, so I could cut costs by doing it myself. Then there is the diesel gen. And for me a biggie, the quiet in the front, I can talk to the wife going up a mountain pass and I'm towing 7000#s. JMO

Triple E

LEN - 2/17/2010 8:15 AM I had the choice of new gasser and used diesel. After riding and driving a gasser and a diesel there was no choice left. Also the quality of the diesels seems to be better(more weight in the construction) and air ride,brakes and exhaust brake(unless coming to a full stop I very seldom hit the service brakes). Diesels seem to come with more options. I run about $500 a year in costs, but have been adding and catching up to my standards, like this year I added a cleanable air cleaner to add up to the $500 and it was the about $225. I have a shop do my work as I have no place to do the work, so I could cut costs by doing it myself. Then there is the diesel gen. And for me a biggie, the quiet in the front, I can talk to the wife going up a mountain pass and I'm towing 7000#s. JMO

Len, what do you mean by "cleanable air cleaner"? Would you point me in the right direction to look at one. Thanks. -Steve

C Nash

Don, we have a 33 ft HR Vacationer 2 slides with the V10 Ford towing a chev 4x4 tracker. Tow is limited to 5k. We towed through the rockies and to Alaska and hills were no problem. Braking has not been an issue but I use the transmission to gear down a lot. Would I like to have a diesel yes? Price of maintaince and up front cost plus being familar with gas engines was the deciding factor for me. Diesel or most will have better CCC, tow power, braking and ride. A proper maintained gas engine will run about as long as the house will last. Noise of the gas engine has been no problem as far as talking but if it's something the boss is saying and you don't want to hear you can say HUH :laugh: Might not get away with that in the pusher ;)

LEN

Triple E
Don't really know much about it. I was do for a new one 2 years old so for a few bucks more Brazels put a cleanable one on. I have the info on it stored somewhere but it is I guess kinda like the fram filters you take out and use an air compressor to clean. Call Mike at Brazels in Grand mound and talk to him if interested, he will explain and quote a price.

LEN

RicChamplin

I'm sorry, but there is no comparision between gasser and diesel. They are two different animals. Diesel much more expensive to buy and maintain. But, If you do some of the work yourself it is not too bad. I get 3 mpg better then my friend with a gas Bounder. More than makes up for the cost dif. The ride!!! OMG I can whisper to the co-pilot and be heard. I hang a M/C on the back, pull a toad and you don't even know they are there. Last year I ran up 8% grades at a steady 57 mph passing any and every gasser. Exhaust brake down the hills no downshifting and not using the service brakes. If you can swing a diesel do it. You will be much happier in the long run. If you just do a couple of trips per year go gas.

G

well i agree on the power of a DP ,, i owned one ,, and did alot of mods to the enigine ,, it could pull a hill like it was level ,, and man that lovely deep black smoke ,, Man gives me chills ,, but my MPG suffered ,, went from 11 mpg to 5 mpg ,, but i guess that is what u have to let go of if u want horsepower ,, and of course black smoke ,, but i now have a gas unit ,, and i really don't see much diff in it ,, it is 4 ft shorter ,, but still has the tag axle ,, and of course have made mods to the engine on it ,, but the gas milage has not suffered as much ,, plus the gas is cheaper ,, and maint cost is way down ,, would i go back to a DP ,, HELL YEA ,, but till that time ,, i am happy with what i have ,, no payments ,, and that can be usd for travel ,, IMO :cool: :cool: :cool: :approve: :approve: :approve:
also on the ride ,, this gas unit has the air ride also ,, but i think it is much softer than the bus was ,, and it seems alot more stable ,, not as top heavy :)

Michguy

Thanks to all of you for your input. I am leaning towards a DP. Darlene's not so sure she likes the idea of having her seat back so far because of the entry door up front. Has that been a problem for any of you DP'ers ? I have seen a few that have mid-coach doors, but not many.

Triple E

My DP has a mid door. I would rather have it up front. The mid door is useless space. JMHO. :) Glad to hear you are getting closer to your travels. Enjoy!!!!

utmtman

I have a gas and would not trade it unless I ever decide I needed to haul more stuff than is necessary. The only advantage I see will carry/pull more weight.

musikfans

730, this is completely off-topic, but as a proof-reader I am kerflummoxed by your choice in punctuation with the double commas and spaces. I am very curious to know the story behind that. :)

Triple E

musikfans - 3/9/2010 7:40 AM 730, this is completely off-topic, but as a proof-reader I am kerflummoxed by your choice in punctuation with the double commas and spaces. I am very curious to know the story behind that. :)

Welcome to the best RV Forum on the Web. :)

This is what we call, "The new Short Hand". Invented by Rod. :laugh:

C Nash

Oh no :eek: Rod you and I are in trouble now :laugh: Barb and Dan gonna start proof reading our post. :laugh: Good luck Barb and Dan. Better get you a red neck dictionary and a southern spelling book :laugh: Oh welcome to the forum if I have not already welcomed ya'll :approve:

H2H1

Well I now we are in a heap of trouble now that we got a proof reader. SoRodNash&Iareinforasomecorrections.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: But RodNASHWECANREADYOURNEWSTYLEOFSHORTHANDBEENDOINGITFORYEARSNOW.....,,,,,,,

musikfans

Oh, now fellas... I don't go around correcting folks or else I wouldn't have any friends left. ;) Thanks for the welcome! :kiss: