GAS or DIESEL... What's this girl to do?

DL Rupper

Re: GAS or DIESEL... What's this girl to do?

John, check out Gulf Streams from GTS (Grandview Trailer Sales) in Virgina. He is a straight shooter. Don't know if he can help you out with a toyhauler, but he has good advice. Maybe you can include a trip to Virgina after you get a (GAG) V-10. He will probably respond to this thread or you can e-mail him on this forum. Its been 12 years since I retired. Time do fly. Good luck on the truck and RV.
:) :)

lynlou14760

RE: GAS or DIESEL... What's this girl to do?

Hi, all. I'm new to RV Talk Forum, but I'm not new to Rv'ing, nor to the gas or diesel debate. Im my esteemed estimation, there is NO debate; go with a diesel, go with DURAMAX. :bleh:

On to your other question "...how much fun driving a diesel around town will be when I am not connected to the trailer?" Durn, girl, just what do you consider "fun?" Everytime I start my duramax and listen to her purr for me, the fun is just starting. (Why does my wife sometimes say, "If you'd listen to me the way you listen to this truck, I'd purr for ya too!" :blush:)

Anywho, mam, go diesel, you won't be dissappointed.

Louie

DL Rupper

Hey thatsmystyle, we never answered your question. I would suggest you move up to a Med sized diesel truck to haul a 391/2 foot 5er. Anything smaller is un-safe. The diesel engine is not your problem. It is the overall chassis capacity and stopping ability of the truck you have to worry about. The Duramax is not any stonger than the Cummins engine, however you can purchase a Duramax in a Med sized truck prior to 2007. I believe Dodge is producing a larger (med sized) capacity truck this year, but I don't think I would purchase any 2007 diesel. The manufacturers need to get all the kinks out of their newly (ULSF) designeed diesels. With the new EPA mandated ultra low sulfur fuel, all diesel manufacturers have had to re-design their diesel engines. Not good.:(

utmtman

Had a diesel, cost a fortune for fuel, maintenance, and other repairs. Bought a gas and got better gas mileage, just as much pulling power, lower fuel costs, and also heck of a lot cheaper for maintenance and repairs. I know people who swear by their diesels but then I know people who swear by ford, dodge, gmc and so on. Its all in what one wants. I wanted to pay less, period.

hertig

Certainly a 'bad' diesel is inferior to a 'good' gas engine. Diesel maintenance is definitely a pain. And a good gas engine is just fine on flat ground.

However, usually gas engines, other than the biggest, struggle getting a lot of weight up hills, and I don't think have an equivalent to the 'exhaust brake' for getting that weight down hills. So I find it hard to believe you get 'equal pulling power' AND better gas mileage. I think there must be other factors involved besides just diesel vrs gas.