Gas V Diesel (again?)

kernewek

First of all I don’t want to open up a whole can of worms here over Gas vs Diesel, but,would like to hear your opinions based on experience.
I am looking to tow an 8000# fiver, and would like to know if you feel that at that size I would really be handicapped by the gas engine (I am looking at the Chevy 2500hd 8.1 gas v Duramax Diesel)
This is not going to be a dedicated tow vehicle, probably less than 25 - 30% towing (although living in Calgary, Alberta, there will be mountains) and the rest of the time it will serve as my everyday vehicle, so I really need a good double duty vehicle
I know that purely from a towing standpoint the diesel is the better engine, but I feel that there must be a range where the gas engine will perform just as well
Any thoughts?

Grandview Trailer Sa

Gas V Diesel (again?)

This is my opinion only. Where the gas fits is based on the number of miles you put on the truck. We have a customer that just got a 2006 8.1 engine. He had a 2001 and has just put 40K on it. He says he can't justify the cost of the diesel and he is probably correct, but also said he only got around 10mpg with the 2001.

I had a 2002 GM dually and the best gas mileage that 8.1 got was 9.6 empty. When towing 5-6 was the norm. When I traded for my '03 Duramax, I more than doubled gas mileage across the board. I get around 16.5 locally and 20 on the interstate. When towing 12,000lb. I get 11.5-12mpg.

Yes, the 8.1 will easily tow your trailer. It has PLENTY of horsepower. You will have to figure out if you want to spend the extra $$$ for the diesel engine.

team3360

Gas V Diesel (again?)

I HAVE AN '02 CHEVY 2500HD DURAMAX W/ ALLISON , CREW CAB,SHORT BOX , IT IS ALSO MY EVERYDAY DRIVER .I LOVE THE TRUCK . I'M NOT TO IMPRESSED WITH MY MILEAGE BUT I HAVE HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH IT. I THINK THE DEALER HAS IT FIXED NOW, SO I'M GOING TO CHECK MY MILEAGE NOW .I'VE BEEN AVERAGEING ABOUT 12-15 MPG EVERYDAY DRIVING BUT I ONLY DRIVE 5 MILES TO WORK SO A LOT IS WARM UP.I LIVE IN NORTHERN INDIANA , YOU KNOW HOW COLD IT GETS UP HERE SINCE, YOUR WAY NORTH OF ME. I DONT PLUG MY TRUCK IN TO SAVE ON THE ELECTRIC BILL. I GOT AVERAGE 8 MPG IN JAN. PULLING MY 33' 5ER (12,500 LB)TO FLORIDA (NOT HAPPY) BUT AS I SAID I HAD SOME PROBLEMS. I HAVE A 5 SPEED ALLISON IN MINE BUT THE NEW TRUCKS HAVE A 6 SPEED ALLISON SO THEY DO GET BETTER MPG. ALOT DEPENDS ON WHAT SPEED YOU RUN ALSO , I LIKE TO RUN THE SPEED LIMIT OR 5 OVER . MY TRUCK GETS BETTER MPG AT 60-65 THAN AT 70-75 SO I HAVE LEARNED TO SLOW DOWN A LITTLE AFTER ALL WHATS 30 MINUTES MORE ON A DAYS RUN. I DONT THINK I WILL EVER GO BACK TO GAS AS LONG AS I PULL A TRAILER . I HAD A GAS 1/2 TON AND IT DRANK GAS WHEN PULLING OUR TT ITS JUST LIKE A BIG BOX WALL BEHIND YOU GRABING THE WIND . I WOULD ALSO SUGEST AN AIR FOIL TO THROW THE WIND UP/OVER YOUR TRAILER HOPE THIS GIVES YOU SOME INSITE TEAM3360 sorry about the caps not having a good evening I remember somebody has a problem with caps but hey no pics

JeffG

Gas V Diesel (again?)

Mike, when you've never owned a Diesel---you're "scared of it." I remember when I bought my first Diesel Suburban---old 6.2----dog of an engine!

Now I own a 2004 F-350 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel. I've NEVER been in a diesel with this much power! Up hills---can do 90 MPH if you want, no towing, of course, and still have plenty of bandwith.

I just took a trip to Colorado---no towing---but got 14 MPG. I know, not great, but the truck empty is 8600 lbs. Comfortable, though, as I have the Crew Cab.

I'd suggest the Ford instead of Chevy. Ford doesn't make this engine, as Navistar (old International Harvester) does. I'm getting ready to tow for the first time with it, and others that I've talked with on the road---wouldn't drive anything else.

Maintenance on any diesel you buy, is not much different than gas. Oil is thicker, but I take my truck to the dealership (this is one drawback in my Ford as it needs 15 quarts of oil!---never seen a normal truck diesel need this much, but it's the design of the engine.

Diesel will go 500,000 miles or more if you maintain it like I do---every 3,000 miles,---try that in your gas engine, and it'll need several engine overhauls before this one.

Unless you like "trading in the old" truck versus hanging onto it and someday paying it off, I'd suggest the Diesel. More torque and horsepower, and less overall maintenance on the engine. Besides, it sounds cool, too!