GAS WATER HEATER

ARCHER

Is it normal to smell a little fumes right after the gas water heater shuts off. It doesn't stay long but I can smell them right after the water heater shuts down. It is working fine, but just wanted to be safe.

ARCHER

GAS WATER HEATER

quote:Originally posted by ARCHER

Is it normal to smell a little fumes right after the gas water heater shuts off. It doesn't stay long but I can smell them right after the water heater shuts down. It is working fine, but just wanted to be safe.

Forgot to mention the smell is outside right by the water heater exhaust

rv wizard

GAS WATER HEATER

You may be smelling the burnt propane smell. To ease your mind you can use a soapy solution and put it on any gas line connections to check for leaks (bubbles). Look into the burner box of heater, what color is the flame just off the burner to almost the end of the flame? If ornage you are not getting enough cumbustion air and could have a cobweb in the venturi tube of burner. This may acount for the smell, if enough incomplete burning of propane is present.

ARCHER

GAS WATER HEATER

RV WIZARD
The color of the flame is a real nice blue. I will check the hole that the gas comes out of to the orafice (i think that is correct) with the soapy solution. You may be right about the smell being burnt propane because it only happens right after the hot water heater shuts down.
thanks for the note.