Generator advice wanted

brownlow

I plan to buy a generator for my 2001 SunnyBrook TT. I would like to get the Honda EU2000. Here's the problem. The only experience I've had with a generator was to borrow an old Kawasaki from my in-laws for a previous trip in a previous trailer. Like the SunnyBrook, however, there was no sealed outside storage for the generator. So I put it in a plastic tub with a snap-on top that I purchased at Wal-Mart, and loaded it into the back of my Ford Excursion tow vehicle. Thank goodness I loaded up a day or two before the trip because overnight the gasoline stench was so overwhelming we could even spend a minute or two in the truck before running for our lives. Needless to say, we didn't take that generator on our trip. Now the same thing is a problem for our new SunnyBrook. The two outside storage compartments have direct access into the trailer. So here is my question. Does this Honda generator emit gasoline fumes, so that storage in either the trailer compartments or in the back of the Excursion would be impossible to tolerate? If so, what are some solutions people have found? For example, would this generator sit in the battery tray at the front of the trailer, alongside my battery (can't tell the size of the generator from web site pics).

Thanks for any help or suggestions,
Art

hertig

Generator advice wanted

The EU2000 is a good generator, as long as you don't need it to run your A/C. My EU3000 does not seem to emit significant gas fumes, so I'm wondering if the generator which caused grief before either was a crummy one or may have even have had a leak.

One thing I do is turn off the gas while it is running and let it run til it stops to get rid of most of the gas in the carburator.

Here are the specs of the EU2000:
Dimensions (LxWxH): 20" x 11.4" x 16.7"
Dry weight: 46.3 lbs.

Due to its small size and light weight, it is easy to steal, so even if it would fit, i'd be cautious about leaving it on the battery tray without protection from the elements and the crooks.

If it was me, I might consider modifying one of the storage compartments so it would have a sealed wall between an external and the remaining internal compartment. Another option would be to find some kind of sealed (surplus military would probably be best) box to keep the generator in.

Gary B

Generator advice wanted

Hi Art, what I did was make a box that is secured to the rear bumper and my generator is in there, orginally I had plans to run it as mounted, so I had air vents for cooling etc. but it viberated the trailer too much thus we just transport it there and remove it when we need it. The cover on the box is lockable so as to help with security. I see no prblem with mounting it up by the battery if you got the room for it. As John said 2000 watts is not enough to run an air conditioner, but will pretty well handle everything else. I think you'll have gas fume problems with any generator in the truck or a compartment that isn't completely sealed. Good luck. :) :bleh: :approve: