Generator carrying with a trailer

Old Forum Post

[Jill] I have a 5000 generator (160 lbs) that I need to carry with me travelling. Where should I put it? I don&#039t really want to be lifting it in and out all the time and was thinking of a rack on the back of the trailer. Also can you run these generators while driving?

Old Forum Post

[Jim M] Hi Jill: I gather that the trailer you refer to is a travel trailer. Assuming that--you have hit on the two best solutions. I have seen several gensets on the back of trailers on a small platform built back there for the purpose and also in the back of the pickup. I know of no reason that you could not run them on the road. In both cases, security is a bit of a problem since a lot of folks like to steal gensets. Also, if you bolt it down, you may not like the inability to locate it a little further away to keep down noise. Seems like most gensets that are not specifically designed for RV&#039s are both less expensive and noisier! Also, the platform on the back of the trailer worsens the tail clearance problem. 5000 is a nice size, I used to have a 5000 and powered two campers, mine and a friends from it. I did not permanantly mount it, just carried it in the back of the pickup. Never ran it on the road, but would have if I had thought of it! When powering two campers, we had to be careful with airconditioners and electric hot water heaters, but it powered us both for most normal stuff. I am running on here, but another thought, the platform in back might work better for you if you have a front bedroom farther from the noise. Also, the pickup mount causes the generator to be further away noise wise and is conducive to using the generator for other purposes--eg emergency power for your home! Additionaly, don&#039t forget to take a 5 gallon gas can with you, when you run at full load, you will be surprised how much gas that little puppy goes through! I generally refueled mine about once a day if I was running airconditioning--I assume your genset is a 5 gallon tank, if not, consider adding a larger tank.

Hope all this helps

Jim

Old Forum Post

[Jill] Thanks Jim!

I do have a front bedroom, guess I&#039ll have something built for carrying it on the back, I can equalize the load by packing more stuff up front. I wish they&#039d make a quieter generator...mine&#039s a 5000OHV and I can&#039t tell that it&#039s much quieter than the non OHV engines.

Jill

Old Forum Post

[Jill] Thanks Jim!

I do have a front bedroom, guess I&#039ll have something built for carrying it on the back, I can equalize the load by packing more stuff up front. I wish they&#039d make a quieter generator...mine&#039s a 5000OHV and I can&#039t tell that it&#039s much quieter than the non OHV engines.

Jill

Old Forum Post

[Steve Johnson] Jill, They make quiet generators, or at least much quieter. Honda has a dandy one, EU3000i, has a built in inverter, so computer friendly. Wet it will weigh 150 LBS+, cost on the internet is around 1,615. I&#039ve included a URL below:

http://www.northwestpowertools.com/generators/eu3000.htm

If you can get along without air conditioner the EU1000i is alot lighter, and cheaper, almost as quiet.

Cheers, Steve J.